• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which series is hotter??

40 posts in this topic

All jokes aside, it's hard to compete with the Yankees. I don't even know that it's fair to compare Image books with Marvel and DC. Even the Walking Dead will never have the household name recognition that Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc. enjoy.

I guess the more interesting question for me about the litany of hot Image books is which ones will be around in 2, 5 and/or 10 years? And which of those books will be nearly as hot or hotter than they are at the moment. As far as Death of the Family goes, I think it'll be a character defining story arc, but I'm probably bias as I'm a big fan of Snyder's work. At the same time, how many character defining Bronze/Copper age books just aren't that big a deal these days?

All jokes aside, it's hard to compete with the Yankees. I don't even know that it's fair to compare Image books with Marvel and DC. Even the Walking Dead will never have the household name recognition that Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc. enjoy.
:applause:

I guess the more interesting question for me about the litany of hot Image books is which ones will be around in 2, 5 and/or 10 years? And which of those books will be nearly as hot or hotter than they are at the moment. As far as Death of the Family goes, I think it'll be a character defining story arc, but I'm probably bias as I'm a big fan of Snyder's work. At the same time, how many character defining Bronze/Copper age books just aren't that big a deal these days?

:o First Appearance of the Return Key? :applause:

Agree with your sentiments regarding 'Batman', too. Snyder's work will become classic imo.

There is TWD and then there is everything else currently. Nothing else but Batman even comes close.

The rest are a nice collection of well written books with established writers. Of the bunch Saga and Revival are the clear leaders with mass appeal for different reasons.

Batman is really enjoying a strong revival(<--- get it revival :grin: ) from a re-launch and strong movie releases.) Snyder is an excellent writer for the title as well. Please keep in mind though how many writers over time do their 1st books stay hot? Short term yes long term? JMS used to be the hot Spider-man writer at one point.

I see ToT maintaining sales, but not increasing without Kirkman because didnt he leave the book at around issue 8?

I would also suggest that Manhatten Projects has a nice following as well.

I see ToT maintaining sales, but not increasing without Kirkman because didnt he leave the book at around issue 8?

Kirkman put together a team of four other writers, beginning with Nick Spencer, to rotate different story arcs. The second arc, which begins with the eighth issue, will be written by James Asmus. Shawn Martinbrough is the book's permanent artist. Kirkman wanted Spencer to write the first arc because of his "knack for good and interesting dialogue," and liked Martinbrough's "cinematic flare" and ability to "portray characters realistically.

Creative team

Writer(s)

Robert Kirkman

Nick Spencer

James Asmus

Artist(s) Shawn Martinbrough

Letterer(s) Rus Wooton

Colorist(s) Felix Serrano

James Asmus is writing second arc issues 8-13

Nick Spencer is of course doing his own comic now called Bedlam

There is TWD and then there is everything else currently. Nothing else but Batman even comes close.

The rest are a nice collection of well written books with established writers. Of the bunch Saga and Revival are the clear leaders with mass appeal for different reasons.

Batman is really enjoying a strong revival(<--- get it revival :grin: ) from a re-launch and strong movie releases.) Snyder is an excellent writer for the title as well. Please keep in mind though how many writers over time do their 1st books stay hot? Short term yes long term? JMS used to be the hot Spider-man writer at one point.

Manhatten Projects has a huge following. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it previously.

Is Batman really "hot?"

Of course it outsells most original ideas. It has a 70 year built in fanbase across multiple mediums. Most Batman readers were dressing up as Batman on Halloween when they were six. Watching Batman on TV every Saturday morning when they were ten. I would gauge how hot Batman is today by comparing the current print runs not to the print runs of unheard of small publisher titles that just came out, but to Batman print runs in the 70's, 80's, 90's and so on. By that standard is Batman hot right now?

It doesn't hurt that the writing on Batman is arguably the best it's ever been and that the art is exceptional too. Snyder's run is up there with Neil Adams as one of the most important runs in the history of the character. I'm not sure what fans will look back on 10-20 years from now, but I guarantee that any discussion of this age of comics will involve a discussion of Batman and the Death of the Family arc.

I'm talking personal / shop sales here & basing them against previous sales.

1: Batman

a - pre new dc - 10 copies (usually 1 left)

b - new dc - 50 copies (sold out)

c - 13, 14 - 100 copies (sold out)

2: Walking Dead

a: pre #100 - 10 copies (usually 1 left)

b: #100 - 200 copies (sold out)

c: after #100 - 20 copies (7 or 8 left of 101, 102, 103)

3: Saga

1: ordered 20 copies of 1 (Sold out)

2: up to 25 copies of #7 (will sell out this week)

4: Revival

a: issue #1 Initial order upped to 15 copies

b: currently selling out 10 copies (2 for me)

5: Thief of Thieves

a: went big (for us) on issue #1 - 25 copies (sold out)

b: down to 4 copies on issue #10 (anyone want 2 copies?)

6: Peter Panzerfaust

a: 1 shop copy, 1 copy for standing order - no-one has enquired about this at all

new

Clone - 20 copies sold out on release day

Happy - 20 copies sold out on release day #1 & #2

I could go on, Detective for example has the same jump as Batman

all the DOTF titles are selling over normal.

14 issues in DC is way up across the board.

What series isn't hot?

anything Marvel Now, all sales down around 25% on pre Marvel now stuff

Manhatten Projects has a huge following. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it previously.

MP is my favorite book, and has been since issue #1. For whatever reason it has flown under the radar and doesn't get nearly the hype that Bedlam, Revival, or Saga does (especially around this place).

MP is my favorite book, and has been since issue #1. For whatever reason it has flown under the radar and doesn't get nearly the hype that Bedlam, Revival, or Saga does (especially around this place).
Feed the Appreciation Thread. Rally some support. Locke & Key's was at 750 views and on the fourth page when I started posting on it. Get people interested. (thumbs u

. Locke & Key's was at 750 views and on the fourth page when I started posting on it. Get people interested.

Another great book that doesn't get as much heat as some of the "up and comers."

Awesome art - top notch writing - and doesn't go over crazy with Variants (there are some, but not a ton).

I know this isn't in the list, but this and Saga are my two favorite books right now (L & K has been for a long while).

. Locke & Key's was at 750 views and on the fourth page when I started posting on it. Get people interested.

Another great book that doesn't get as much heat as some of the "up and comers."

Awesome art - top notch writing - and doesn't go over crazy with Variants (there are some, but not a ton).

I know this isn't in the list, but this and Saga are my two favorite books right now (L & K has been for a long while).

I really miss discussing it on these boards. :(

I had such huge plans for the thread and my then Registry set.

There was gonna be a field trip to Dungeon Rock (what the Drowning Caves were based on), exploring various other New England folklore bits which might have inspired Joe, Discussions on how this series is gonna wrap up and more by going through the clues in the first book. Panel by panel.

I'm talking personal / shop sales here & basing them against previous sales.

1: Batman

a - pre new dc - 10 copies (usually 1 left)

b - new dc - 50 copies (sold out)

c - 13, 14 - 100 copies (sold out)

2: Walking Dead

a: pre #100 - 10 copies (usually 1 left)

b: #100 - 200 copies (sold out)

c: after #100 - 20 copies (7 or 8 left of 101, 102, 103)

3: Saga

1: ordered 20 copies of 1 (Sold out)

2: up to 25 copies of #7 (will sell out this week)

4: Revival

a: issue #1 Initial order upped to 15 copies

b: currently selling out 10 copies (2 for me)

5: Thief of Thieves

a: went big (for us) on issue #1 - 25 copies (sold out)

b: down to 4 copies on issue #10 (anyone want 2 copies?)

6: Peter Panzerfaust

a: 1 shop copy, 1 copy for standing order - no-one has enquired about this at all

new

Clone - 20 copies sold out on release day

Happy - 20 copies sold out on release day #1 & #2

I could go on, Detective for example has the same jump as Batman

all the DOTF titles are selling over normal.

14 issues in DC is way up across the board.

What series isn't hot?

anything Marvel Now, all sales down around 25% on pre Marvel now stuff

The proof is in the pudding. Good summary

Maybe Larry will come in as well and give us a summary of his shop as well and we can really get a good idea here.

Feed the Appreciation Thread. Rally some support. Locke & Key's was at 750 views and on the fourth page when I started posting on it. Get people interested. (thumbs u

I've posted in that thread quite a bit, but for whatever reason the thread doesn't seem to catch on. The series just doesn't seem to get the hype despite being excellent. The MP thread has like 14 pages for 7 issues, while Bedlam is pushing 200 pages after 1 issue (though, interestingly for that book like 160 of those pages were posted before issue #1 came out and the thread has slowed markedly since then it seems...).

It probably isn't helping that MP can't seem to get a registry set despite my requesting one a month ago. While I know that Gemma must be slammed with work, I've got slabs sitting here with no spots on the registry.

I've posted in that thread quite a bit, but for whatever reason the thread doesn't seem to catch on. The series just doesn't seem to get the hype despite being excellent. The MP thread has like 14 pages for 7 issues, while Bedlam is pushing 200 pages after 1 issue (though, interestingly for that book like 160 of those pages were posted before issue #1 came out and the thread has slowed markedly since then it seems...).

It probably isn't helping that MP can't seem to get a registry set despite my requesting one a month ago. While I know that Gemma must be slammed with work, I've got slabs sitting here with no spots on the registry.

Locke & Key didn't get a Registry Set slot for a year. Ask Cheryllynn. Be patient and it will come and you will make it great. :)

Locke and Key was one of the best books I ever read.Haven't read any newer stuff recently - don't know why tbh.

Great story - totally rock as a TV show!