• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

(Fists of) Sgt. Fury Love Fest - Post your favorite covers

88 posts in this topic

I don't know if there are many Sgt. Fury fans on the boards, but I love 'em! Post or talk about your favorite Sgt. Fury issues in this thread. Condition is unimportant. I'll start us off:

Sgt. Fury # 13 CGC 7.5

SGTFURY13-CGC75-fr-600sm.jpg

Sgt. Fury # 25 Green River copy

SGTFURY25-GR-fr-600sm.jpg

Sgt. Fury # 36

SGTFURY36-fr-600sm.jpg

I agree. The cover to #13 is one of the all-time great Marvel/Kirby covers. I always liked Gil Kane's one shot rendition of the Sgt. on this Green River copy of issue #37. Nice angles!

sgtfury37grlorez.jpg

It's truely a shame this title doesn't get more respect! After all, it is still a early Marvel title and lasted for quite some time. Not to mention Sgt. Fury/FF crossover in #4 and the Nick Fury, Agent of Shield later, with numerous crossovers!

It's truely a shame this title doesn't get more respect! After all, it is still a early Marvel title and lasted for quite some time. Not to mention Sgt. Fury/FF crossover in #4 and the Nick Fury, Agent of Shield later, with numerous crossovers!

It's getting there. Check back in a year and see how prices have jumped.

It's truely a shame this title doesn't get more respect!

Yep, but that's good. Get all the issues you need before it turns into the next Journey into Mystery.

Absolutely. It's very underappreciated, but you won't catch me saying they are undervalued. At least not until I've finished building a nice little run! grin.gif

It's getting there. Check back in a year and see how prices have jumped.

I would certainly expect them to move up, at least the first 13-15 issues! I can't remember if a Howler died in #14 or #15.

And just so you know, I really didn't notice the mis-cut. 27_laughing.gif It's a bleeder too! 893applaud-thumb.gif

BTW, not long ago, I had purchased a mid grade run of raw Sgt Fury's # 20 through 29 on Ebay and started reading through them. I've always felt that the gritty Joe Kubert-illustrated DC war books were the one genre where DC topped Marvel.

But reading through the 20-29 run, I was impressed by the complexity of the story lines, the fact that Stan was moving around a very large cast (The Howlers, sometimes another company, Baron Strucker, resistance fighters etc.) and also needing to have some accuracy regarding military history, theaters of operation, military equipment, etc.

The story's were actually pretty entertaining! If you haven't read any of them lately, give them a try.

The story's were actually pretty entertaining! If you haven't read any of them lately, give them a try.

Good advice! thumbsup2.gif

I just finished reading that 36 I posted at the top of the thread. Nice story - Eric Koenig's first mission as a Howler. It was an extremely verbose issue. It took me almost 45 minutes to get through it.

BTW, great books everyone. Keep it going if you have more to share!

BTW, not long ago, I had purchased a mid grade run of raw Sgt Fury's # 20 through 29 on Ebay and started reading through them. I've always felt that the gritty Joe Kubert-illustrated DC war books were the one genre where DC topped Marvel.

But reading through the 20-29 run, I was impressed by the complexity of the story lines, the fact that Stan was moving around a very large cast (The Howlers, sometimes another company, Baron Strucker, resistance fighters etc.) and also needing to have some accuracy regarding military history, theaters of operation, military equipment, etc.

Yeah, your're right. But DC really DID rule as far as war books went. Kubert art & well crafted stories! Even with Kirby doing the art, they couldn't compete with the Big5! Just MNSHO!

I also love this title...I didnt collect it at first since it wasn't in the Marvel Super-Heroe "Mainstream", but am now only a couple issues away...The last 50 or so issues are extremely difficult to find...Some of the best Marvel Silver Age Covers:

Sgt. Fury #3:

SgtFury3.JPG

Sgt. Fury #5:

SgtFury5.JPG

Sgt. Fury #6:

SgtFury6.JPG

Sgt. Fury #7:

SgtFury7.JPG

Eric

...The last 50 or so issues are extremely difficult to find...

Yes, and that's why they are so much fun to try and collect. Many, if not most, were already reprinted before, and so were passed over by all but the most die-hard Fury completionists. Issues from 150-167 are the worst.