• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Keys

46 posts in this topic

Speaking as a Usagi fan, yes, I consider Albedo #2 a modern key. The one-shot Summer Special reprints the early Albedo stories, and is the first comic book dedicated to Usagi Yojimbo. The Fantagraphics #1 came out after the Summer Special, but it's been a while, so I'm not sure which story is in it.

Usagi #1 Fantagraphics is a new storyline, I believe that was going to be in Critters but they moved Usagi to his own book. The first 4 issues go through the origin arc, which I know because I just bought a collection which had the Fantagraphics 1 - 3 and now I am dangling to read the end of the story.....

893frustrated.gif

It's a key, but it's certainly not a Modern.

What does OS call that era now? Brass? Copper?

Yeah, OS calls that era the Copper era (1984-1992). So, now moderns are all post-1992, and I'd agree that for most of the 90s, comics were junk.

I'd agree that for most of the 90s, comics were junk.

It's not about the quality, but WHO was buying then, and who continues to buy now. Adults.

Without kids with a controlling interest in comics, we will NEVER have another real key issue, as the adults already have theirs. No new blood = no new keys, it's as simple as that.

Some would add Archer and Armstrong 0 gold to the list, as the book that kicked off the variant craze

IMO variant books are not and never will be 'keys'. They are manufactured collectables, and for me a comic book should be considered key due to the content of the book and not how it was printed.

I'd agree that for most of the 90s, comics were junk.

It's not about the quality, but WHO was buying then, and who continues to buy now. Adults.

Without kids with a controlling interest in comics, we will NEVER have another real key issue, as the adults already have theirs. No new blood = no new keys, it's as simple as that.

Not to put a hole in your argument (would you listen to what I have to say anyway?) but I was 12 when Batman the movie came out. That movie basically launched me on a comic collecting frenzy that hasn't stopped. I bet a vast majority of other posters here started collecting in the late 80's early 90's so why we aren't necessarily kids, we do represent a rebirth of comic collecting. Kids that see Spider-man the movie in theaters now will most likely pick up the comics and become next decade’s modern collectors. As mentioned above, alot of collectors are coming back after a 10-year hiatus.

Valiant comics, or more likely the pre-unity's, are NOT gimmick comics. They represented something neither Marvel nor DC had at the time, strong continuity and stories. These comics are increase in popularity as my generation of collectors being to actively seek them out. The other comics I consider to be keys are pretty much mentioned in the post above so I won't reiterate the same things.

On a side note, I'm wondering if anything will submerge from the late 90's when popular titles print runs began to dwindle into obscurity? Amazing Spider-Man comes to mind. When collectors begin try to complete sets we might see a few keys pop up due to scarcity (or is that $$ and not keys?) thumbsup2.gif

Amazing Spider Man 298, 300 are generally regarded as keys, so's Amazing 238.

Miracleman 15 is a key. Cerebus 1 also. TMNT 1. Crisis On Infiinite Earths 7,8 are keys. Sandman 1 is a key. And there are a whole host of others.

I agree totally, but these comics are all pre-1990.

How about Superman Peace on Earth from 1999. While flipping through the book "100 Greatest Comics of All Time" by Jerry Weist, I noticed this was the only comic from the 90's which made the Top 100 list.

Don't have a copy of this comic myself, so I don't know if it would be significant enough to be classify as a Modern key going forward. Keys historically are first appearances or something major which goes on to become valuable over a period of time and appeals more to the speculative side in all of us. Weist is approaching it from a more intellectual point of view by emphasizing the artistic format change and painted narrative approach to storytelling.

Myself, I would think the Modern keys would be the first Image book, first Valiant book, first Marvel Knights books, or the first Marvel Ultimate book. Since these are all such obvious choices, I doubt any of them would be worth much over the long haul since they have already been hoarded by collectors and speculators. Also noticed that most of the keys from the 70's and 80's are not #1 issues. Examples would include ASM #129, Hulk #181, Bats #232, GL #76, ASM #300, IF #14, Avengers #93, X-Men #94, etc. So maybe the Modern keys will come from within some of the current titles and not be obvious to us at this point in time.