• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Keys

46 posts in this topic

Well, I did a search on this topic and came up with nothing, so hopefully this hasn't been covered to death.

I see so much posted about books like Hulk 181 and ASM 129, but what do you consider the modern keys? ASM 238? ASM 300? Avengers Annual 10?? Uncanny X-Men 266??? Is there such thing as a modern key.

I've started reading comics again after a 10 year break, so while I'm curious about all modern keys, I especially want to know if there has been anything pivotal I should read from the last ten years.

Thanks.

ASM 238 is about as close as your going to get to an important key as far as I'm concerned. X-Men 266 sleeping.gif and ASM 300 is nothing to get excited about. I wish there were more. Interesting how so many people start to pick up comics after a 10+ year hiatus (myself included).

Modern Keys: =s significant contribution to the continuium of comic lore that will stand the test of time.

IMO cloud9.gif

ASM 300 1st venom *$800 in 9.8

Secret Wars 8 1st black costume

X-men 266 1st Gambit new key character in the x-men world.

Wolverine 10 Classic cover used in X-men 1 movie- Wolverine vs Sabretooth.

Ultimate Spider-man 1 White. Out of the box risky new modern series idea

X-men 248 1st Jim Lee on X-men

Miracleman 1 and Watchmen 1. Alan Moore Classics that will stand the test of time.

Spider-man 1 Mcfarland Spiderman-Will become a classic cover

Wolverine Mini Series. Frank Miller

Ben Affleck used this cover to model his plastic surgery.

Next Men 21 1st Hellboy.

Wanted 1 Mark Miller book that will be hunted down by collectors in the year 2015 once they realize how key this book is.

Modern Keys: =s significant contribution to the continuium of comic lore that will stand the test of time.

IMO cloud9.gif

Miracleman 1 and Watchmen 1. Alan Moore Classics that will stand the test of time.

Next Men 21 1st Hellboy.

Wanted 1 Mark Miller book that will be hunted down by collectors in the year 2015 once they realize how key this book is.

While I agree that these books are HOT right now, I don;t think you can EVER make a Modern KEY list. Modern Keys will come and go. There are a few of the above that are nice books, but in terms of long term, I think we will all have to wait. As mentioned Hulk 181 was not a key for a long time. It takes years for things to turn into a key. Remember....

Shi #1

Lady Death #1

G.I. Joe #2

Spider-Man #298

Punisher Limited #1

Fish Police

Excaliber one shot

and many MANY others........

I agree that we can't call anything in modern age a key yet. But 30 years has now passed and it is the year 2035. What books will our kids look back at as keys that were influential in changing the comic landscape. These are books that will stand the test of time due to their greatness. Of course there will be keys that no one ever thought woudl be a key. (ie Green Lantern 76) Great Thread. Although ASM 300 is a hot book now there is no doubt in my mind that this will be a key in the year 2035 that everyone wants to own. Mcfarland and Venom.

I agree that we can't call anything in modern age a key yet. But 30 years has now passed and it is the year 2035. What books will our kids look back at as keys that were influential in changing the comic landscape.

Oh man, is this for real? foreheadslap.gif

Today's PS/2 game-playing, Yu Gi Oh! card collecting, Anime watching kids probably won't even remember what a comic book is in 30 years time.

Of course this is for real. This is a CGC comic discussion forum. Are you a moderator or the "what is real police" . Guy has a serious question. If you disagree go harass someone else or add some value to this forum.

Of course there will be keys that no one ever thought woudl be a key. (ie Green Lantern 76) ...

Green Lantern 76, 85 and 86 were always hot books as far back as the mid 70's,...you always had to pay a premium for it even back then....I think I paid $25.00 for a NM copy back in 1975,...that was a lot of scratch for a comic book considering a NM copy of Justice League sold for around $100.00.....

I think we will all have to wait. As mentioned Hulk 181 was not a key for a long time. It takes years for things to turn into a key.

I remember Hulk 181 was a highly sought after key issue back in 1979. That's not long after publication.

Yeah, if you want examples of books that suddenly *became* key very late in the game, it's really Bronze territory, and most can be traced back to the early-90's speculation and the insane level of "key issue mining" that went on:

Iron Man 55

Adventure Comics 433

Amazing Adventures 11

House of Mystery 174

All-Star Western 10

Defenders 10

ASM 101

Astonishing Tales 25

Iron Fist 14

etc.

IMO cloud9.gif

Next Men 21 1st Hellboy.

I agree with Next Men 21 - Hellboy had a big fan following and a possible second movie can't hurt long-term status in bring in more people who want his first book.

Also add the new Conan 1

Bill

IMO cloud9.gif

Next Men 21 1st Hellboy.

While I agree that these books are HOT right now, I don;t think you can EVER make a Modern KEY list. Modern Keys will come and go. There are a few of the above that are nice books, but in terms of long term, I think we will all have to wait. As mentioned Hulk 181 was not a key for a long time. It takes years for things to turn into a key. Remember....

Shi #1

Lady Death #1

G.I. Joe #2

Spider-Man #298

Punisher Limited #1

Fish Police

Excaliber one shot

and many MANY others........

Does the early Crow stuff beong to the above list or is that book still up there even though the movie series has died?

We know one thing for certain. HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF Therefore the modern books today that will be keys in the future 20xx will have the same characteristics of the key silver age and bronze age books of today.

First appearance

Death of:

Some key Variant issues (Platinum issues as an example Retailer (35cent variants were the variants of their day)

Socially significant story that reflects the time period.

First artists work with a company or on a certain book.

Modern books that through the period of time become classic covers.

New comic chararacters whose books started in the Modern age and will still be around 40 years from now with issue 780 etc.

The books above should not have an excessive print run which combined with being a key will appreciate quite nicely.

All Valiant pre unity books.

We know one thing for certain. HISTORY REPEATS ITSELF

But only if the conditions that created this history are still present.

Seriously, the minute comics became a "collectible" rather than simply reading entertainment, is the exact point in time where they will hold no long-term monetary or collectible value.

By my reckoning, that would be about 1989-90.

There will never be a true key issue, along the lines of Gold, Silver or Bronze, that emerges from a post-1990 comic.

If you're trying to decide what constitutes a modern "key", does it depend only on value, or perceived-future value?

Would you list SUPERMAN # 75 as a key? It's one of the highest selling comics of all time. The first, and arguably greatest superhero "died", (despite coming back later). Thousands of non-comic book readers picked up this book. News stories carried it on TV.

Yet you can pick it up today at your LCS for a buck or two. So would it make the list?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"key" as in major impact on the comic industry not value. sandman was a cross over comic that was fantasy and horror that women actually picked up and read. sandman TPB's still sell today and they're on like 10+ printings. as for preacher, i don't think i need to comment on that book.