• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What if CGC had one flat grade and one premium

40 posts in this topic

I just read that on Moderns CGC might have books sitting there 4 months. In the same post once again someone says just pay the 58% PREMIUM and your book might show up in 1/2 that time. . How about this CGC should man up and just charge for two services. One flat rate (I don't really care what the $$$ amount is) for all books less then $1000 and one rate for all books over $1000 at a discount. Just how many books are graded at the higher $1000+ level. I don't think it's really a heavy workload.

Would you pay $38/50 $ to have your moderns/gold/silver/bronze/copper etc at a flat rate if they would be back in 60 days instead of 1/2 a year in some cases?

If you say yes would you still send in as many books or would there be a dramatic drop off in revenue and they would need to re think their busiess model.

Interesting paradox forget the lower sevices because the process is way to slow and man up with One Rate for all but those books over $1000.

Let the rants begin. rantrant

A good point.

There is currently a self destructive circle when it comes to fast tracking. I FT all my subs because I want to get them back at some point within the next 6 months. I'm fully aware that by FT'ing my books I am prolonging the grading service for non FT books.

Fast tracking slows the process for everyone else who then subsequently need to fast track their future subs.

This problem is only going to get worse. I can see a point in the not too distant future where the FT becomes the norm and the delays hitting non FT submissions start leaking into the FT subs.

Remove the Fast track option for all.

Clear the backlog.

Hire more graders

Simple when you think about it.

Increase rates. Most people are willing to pay more to reduce times. No FT...all the same, just more expensive, with more workers getting paid accordingly.

So less options for more money?

Increase rates. Most people are willing to pay more to reduce times. No FT...all the same, just more expensive, with more workers getting paid accordingly.

Since everytime someone complains about the delay the answer is pay 58% more eliminate the economy/modern and fast grades and keep all the grading in one group for a flat fee. I'd pay that if the books came back sooner. What it will do will eliminate all the Modern speculators and low end books being graded. Maybe it will eliminate Moderns completly because who is going to pay $$ for those books.

Since everytime someone complains about the delay the answer is pay 58% more eliminate the economy/modern and fast grades and keep all the grading in one group for a flat fee. I'd pay that if the books came back sooner. What it will do will eliminate all the Modern speculators and low end books being graded. Maybe it will eliminate Moderns completly because who is going to pay $$ for those books.

And why would CGC be motivated to essentially eliminate a source of revenue for themselves? I'm guessing that CGC does not want to say to anyone that essentially we are trying to price people out of submitting because you have low end books or are a moderns speculator.

I just read that on Moderns CGC might have books sitting there 4 months. In the same post once again someone says just pay the 58% PREMIUM and your book might show up in 1/2 that time. . How about this CGC should man up and just charge for two services. One flat rate (I don't really care what the $$$ amount is) for all books less then $1000 and one rate for all books over $1000 at a discount. Just how many books are graded at the higher $1000+ level. I don't think it's really a heavy workload.

Would you pay $38/50 $ to have your moderns/gold/silver/bronze/copper etc at a flat rate if they would be back in 60 days instead of 1/2 a year in some cases?

If you say yes would you still send in as many books or would there be a dramatic drop off in revenue and they would need to re think their busiess model.

Interesting paradox forget the lower sevices because the process is way to slow and man up with One Rate for all but those books over $1000.

Let the rants begin. rantrant

make it $60 and its just 15 days (you only $10 away)

I would venture to say that CGC doesn't want to do away with modern submissions. They are the easiest/fastest to grade. They also, I believe, constitute the highest % of submissions.

What it will do will eliminate all the Modern speculators and low end books being graded. Maybe it will eliminate Moderns completly because who is going to pay $$ for those books.

You DO know that Moderns are CGC's bread and butter, right? :facepalm:

And why would CGC be motivated to essentially eliminate a source of revenue for themselves? I'm guessing that CGC does not want to say to anyone that essentially we are trying to price people out of submitting because you have low end books or are a moderns speculator.
:thumbsup:

Cost structure isn't the issue, it's how the books are being processed and the manpower behind that process. As I suggested before, I think CGC has a scalability problem IT CAN'T SOLVE.

Double their Modern graders and their encapsulation team means that they will need to retrofit their current process to accommodate--don't think they can do it without some serious process revamping. If I were them, I would get some BPR consultants in there. They are in denial if they continue without some serious changes, ESPECIALLY with the CI transaction underway.

:thumbsup:

Cost structure isn't the issue, it's how the books are being processed and the manpower behind that process. As I suggested before, I think CGC has a scalability problem IT CAN'T SOLVE.

Double their Modern graders and their encapsulation team means that they will need to retrofit their current process to accommodate--don't think they can do it without some serious process revamping. If I were them, I would get some BPR consultants in there. They are in denial if they continue without some serious changes, ESPECIALLY with the CI transaction underway.

Someone in one of the other two kerfuffle threads even suggested that CGC stop accepting submissions until caught up. Even if they did that (they wouldn't in a million years do that) it still wouldn't solve the underlying problem, which is how to avoid a backlog in the first place. They need to do a root cause analysis. Maybe they are doing that, but it sure doesn't seem like it.

Since we and our fellow collectors are addicted to CGC’ing books they will not only increase their revenue but also have a STANDARD turnaround for a single service. doh!

What it will do will eliminate all the Modern speculators and low end books being graded. Maybe it will eliminate Moderns completly because who is going to pay $$ for those books.

You DO know that Moderns are CGC's bread and butter, right? :facepalm:

Someone help me just why are Moderns the bread and butter? Is it because of the huge volume of books submitted with the hopes the grade 9.8-10.0 will be the hype for some sucker to pay stupid $$$.

Most Moderns graded will never pay back for their grading fees when sold.

Why not increase the turn on Moderns and decrease the turn on Economy since it is more expensive?

Someone help me just why are Moderns the bread and butter? Is it because of the huge volume of books submitted with the hopes the grade 9.8-10.0 will be the hype for some sucker to pay stupid $$$.

Why not increase the turn on Moderns and decrease the turn on Economy since it is more expensive?

It has nothing to do with someone trying to make their money back. CGC doesn't control the prices that books sell for.

Moderns are bread and butter because there are lots of moderns being graded.

They are easier to grade than a ratty GA or SA book that is falling apart or an expensive high grade SA/GA book and they are plentiful.

It has nothing to do with someone trying to make their money back. CGC doesn't control the prices that books sell for.

Moderns are bread and butter because there are lots of moderns being graded.

They are easier to grade than a ratty GA or SA book that is falling apart or an expensive high grade SA/GA book and they are plentiful.

Roy just help me out why do people grade them?

Or are they just throwing their $$$ away?

No real furture value? and you can't read them after they are graded.

Inquiring minds need to know

(shrug)

Check out the stats of which books are being graded. The data is there. People's motivations for grading doesn't matter.

As to your last comment, it's not like turning the knob on an amplifier.

spinaltap_eleven.jpg