• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Big Apple Pedigree???

22 posts in this topic

I didn't know whether to post this in the Silver ,Gold,I don't think so,so i posted it here. Does anybody know about the Big Apple Ped??? I keep coming across it on sites like Hertiage. What years does it cover ?? Who found the Collection? What was in it? How many books? ETC. I love the history of Pedigrees ,this is one I don't know nothing about!! Somebody,Enlighten Me!! Thanks!!!!

There was an auction out on Long Island today that featured many books from this collection. I wasn't able to make it,but Mr Woogieman did. Heard the prices were pretty high. Many of these books have moderate water-damage.

Don't know anything about the BA collection itself.

I didn't know whether to post this in the Silver ,Gold,I don't think so,so i posted it here. Does anybody know about the Big Apple Ped??? I keep coming across it on sites like Hertiage. What years does it cover ?? Who found the Collection? What was in it? How many books? ETC. I love the history of Pedigrees ,this is one I don't know nothing about!! Somebody,Enlighten Me!! Thanks!!!!

The Big Apple Pedigree spans the years 1940 to 1965 (approximate). It includes several thousand comic books including Golden Age superhero, horror, pre-code Atlas, Marvel and DC superhero books and others. It was "discovered" by Phil Weiss, a longtime auctioneer on Long Island. Books from the collection have been in many of his auctions as the owner keeps bringing books to Phil. I have seen books from the collection such as Marvel Mystery, Action and Adventure Comics in Phil's past auctions. There was a nice selection of Big Apple books in Phil's auction today, including the Big Apple X-Men 1. The earlier books are in really nice shape, grading up to 9.4 and a few 9.6's. Later books are notorious for water spots, something that Borock is fantatical about, so CGC won't grade them as high. Still, it is a very large collection, that is still coming out of the original owner's hands, and definitely worth collecting.

Thanks for providing some insight on this collection ,& thank you too Shadrock!!!

Sounds interesting, great collections are still being found today!!! I sometimes wonder how many other great collections are out there to be found !!! Anybody else know of some recent founds or know any to come to market sometime in the future !!! I'm talking about OO Collections !!!!

There are still plenty of nice collections out there.

In the last few months,both BurntBoy and Filter have brought out fantastic collections. I'm not a real big believer in most so-called pedigrees but I'm fairly sure there are many collections out there that could be called pedigrees.If I pay a premium for a book,its because that book has superior quality,not because it came from Winnepeg or wherever.

actually i dont think it would have been as impressive as the ones in the article above, since it wouldnt have been GA stuff. but from what he has told me he had basically every Marvel superhero book, probably some earlier stuff, his memory isnt all too hot. he was collecting from 1960 to 1970, when he joined the army. from what he has said, he took very good care of them. but did of course read em. ff, spidey, hulk, and thor were his favorites.

as a kid, my brother and i would go through my grandma's basement just searching for even a piece of those old comics. never did find anything.

I picked up a few Big Apple Pedigree TTAs and here they are. The page quality is OW, but I am blown away by the superior color and gloss on these books. cloud9.gif The scan won't do it justice, but in hand, they look and feel like they just came off the rack. I am VERY pleased with the quality of this pedigree... yay.gifyay.gif The quality of these books is much nicer than the Boston, Mass., Green River & Winnipegs in my collection.

TTA73BigApple.jpg

TTA100BigApple.jpg

I picked up several big apples 3-4 years ago. I pressed them to give me some kind of COA so that if it was a good pedigree I would have proof. I assume that they still send something out with the books.

If I can find a scan or the books I will copy and post.

What was the real name of the dealer who was selling them so I can look it up in my check book or emails to find out which big apple books I bought.

sign-offtopic.gif

I always like to attach an image with my post. As an actuary this book had special meaning to me.

613248-comicmath2.jpg.7d2d6ab24ce8588ce115e030957feda2.jpg

There are still plenty of nice collections out there.

In the last few months,both BurntBoy and Filter have brought out fantastic collections. I'm not a real big believer in most so-called pedigrees but I'm fairly sure there are many collections out there that could be called pedigrees.If I pay a premium for a book,its because that book has superior quality,not because it came from Winnepeg or wherever.

Filters books weren't original owner, Burntboy's were...

If I was given supporting documentation that this was from the Big Apple collection I would have sent it in for slabbing.

TTA98BAC.jpg

You really just need to note and they will call. [!@#%^&^] just send it in that mylar. I just sent in my receipt and vincent just wrote a little sentance saying to call him if there was any question. The receipt would have been just about as easy to forge as the sticker on your mylar. Plus if they question it they can call. As far as I know Metro keeps good records of what they have sold.

If I was given supporting documentation that this was from the Big Apple collection I would have sent it in for slabbing.

You really just need to note and they will call. [!@#%^&^] just send it in that mylar. I just sent in my receipt and vincent just wrote a little sentance saying to call him if there was any question. The receipt would have been just about as easy to forge as the sticker on your mylar. Plus if they question it they can call. As far as I know Metro keeps good records of what they have sold.

I think they also have scans of the pedigree stuff, so if there's a question, they could always compare books.