• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What kind of tape to use to tape back Mylite2 flaps?

38 posts in this topic

Ditch the tape people! :sumo:

Use 3M post it flags - they work great, and even if you do 'tag' a book, you can carefully remove them without a 'tape-pull'

(thumbs u

And, ditch the Avery labels - they deteriorate and bond to mylar over time, and create a mess.

Ah, but then, so too do the 3M post-its -- found this out after trying to peel one that had been in place for a couple of years. To me, the best solution is to nip and tuck -- avoiding any kind of adhesive on the mylar if possible, anything really will leave some residue.

Ditch the tape people! :sumo:

Use 3M post it flags - they work great, and even if you do 'tag' a book, you can carefully remove them without a 'tape-pull'

(thumbs u

And, ditch the Avery labels - they deteriorate and bond to mylar over time, and create a mess.

Ah, but then, so too do the 3M post-its -- found this out after trying to peel one that had been in place for a couple of years. To me, the best solution is to nip and tuck -- avoiding any kind of adhesive on the mylar if possible, anything really will leave some residue.

Well keep in mind it turned out the brand of label lizards2 was referring to is unknown. Friend lizard just assumed they were Avery. Perhaps they were 3M he experienced?

Anyway, I have tested more of my Avery Dot Books that were initially bagged and Avery Dotted in 2005/2005. The Avery dots continue to be consistent in their ease of removal and their restickability.

You should turn those tapes the other way and then there's no chance of ever getting a tape pull.

No thanks, when you pull the flap down you attach the post-it to the flap first. Then pull it tight and attach it to the mylite. These remove very easily and if I'm removing a book I just take them off and put them to the side. No chance of a tape pull.

I use scotch tape and fold the bottom of the tape up to make a tab.

Jolly good idea.

fastfictionbacka.jpg

fastfictionbackcua.jpg

I go one step further and put the tape at approximately a 45 degree angle. The flap makes it easy to lift the tape, but the 45 degree diagonal means that when you begin to lift the tape, you're lifting from a tiny sliver of the sticky part (A) first until your fingers are able to pull a significant portion of the tape up to lift the whole mylite flap (B).

The difficulty with lifting up a tape flap that's at a perfect vertical is that you have to exert more pressure on the mylite in order to get the lift STARTED because it's sticky across a greater surface area to begin with. Without the tape flap, that's what makes it such a pain in the åss to get the tape lifted in the first place. You either need to:

1. peel the tape up with your finger nail which inevitably tears the tape

2. you need to jam your finger behind/under the tape and risk warping the mylite at that area

If you make the piece of tape VERY short, you can make the sticky part extremely minimal. You only need a teeny sliver of the sticky area between the mylite flap and the tape flap to make the mylite flap stay down. The smaller the sticky area, the less likely you are to snag it on the comic. Ergo (hee hee) the 45 degree angle WITH the flap makes it incredibly easy to use regular scotch tape without concern for ripping the tape, mangling the mylite, or sticking the tape to your comic. I've been putting my comics in mylites upside down (as described) and then right-side up in a mylar for the past 20+ years and I've NEVER snagged a comic on the tape.

. . .of course that means that tomorrow, I'll tear the s**t outta the next comic I'm taking out of a mylite.

This is possibly the most anally asinine thread I've ever had the shame of reading.

Whatchoo got against anally asinine? :sumo:

I'm only disappointed that you didn't elevate us to THEEE most anally asinine thread instead of "possibly" the most anally asinine thread.

I've been switching all my comics over to Mylite2's, but I can't close my small comic boxes with the flaps standing up. Also, I can't really read my dividers with the flaps all that easily either.

Any suggestions for what kind of tape to use to tape the flaps?

Scotch "Magic" tape, not the regular Scotch tape. The "Magic" tape comes off very easily and is less likely to damage the book if it snags (if it snags, pull very slowly and carefully and it usually will be OK). Regular Scotch tape is much too sticky!

I've been switching all my comics over to Mylite2's, but I can't close my small comic boxes with the flaps standing up. Also, I can't really read my dividers with the flaps all that easily either.

Any suggestions for what kind of tape to use to tape the flaps?

Scotch "Magic" tape, not the regular Scotch tape. The "Magic" tape comes off very easily and is less likely to damage the book if it snags (if it snags, pull very slowly and carefully and it usually will be OK). Regular Scotch tape is much too sticky!

Or...OR you could take the tape off the bag before you pull the book out.

I have yet to get anything stuck to a comic using this basic concept.

These work pretty well and are safer than cellophane type tape.

Avery 3/4" Dots

At $3.79 retail for a pack of 480 they are pretty economical as well. And you can write a little notation on them if you want, or a price if you are selling.

+1

Same here. The red ones. :cool:

I've gone with the blue ones since the early '90s. They've held up fine and hold the flaps down better than any of the removable tape I've tried.