• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Captain America Movie?

8 posts in this topic

I was just looking through the 20th Edition of Overstreet and within the market report, under 1940s Titles, it states "With the upcoming release of the Captain America movie, interest has begun to increase in all Captain American titles"

Was this Captain America movie ever released?

I was just looking through the 20th Edition of Overstreet and within the market report, under 1940s Titles, it states "With the upcoming release of the Captain America movie, interest has begun to increase in all Captain American titles"

Was this Captain America movie ever released?

They were probably referring to the 1991 movie (time seems about right).

Here is a link to the IMDB notes on it.

Cap '91

They were probably referring to the 1991 movie (time seems about right).

Yep. The movie was so poorly made by the Cannon Group(the same company that ruined SUPERMAN III) that it went direct to video and was never released to theaters in the United States. It's too bad, because if a different company threw some money at the -script that was used, it could have been a decent movie; the -script is fine, the execution is another story. As it is, I have a soft spot for it because of it's homages to Golden Age Timely comics. I wish it would come out on DVD.

There was also a CAPTAIN AMERICA movie back in 1940 by REPUBLIC. It was one of those cliffhanger 15 chapter films. But the Cap didn't use a shield to throw. Instead he used a gun and rode a motorcycle. Lionel Atwell played the villain and Cap was played by Purcell. For some reason the film didn't even use the STEVE RODGERS name. Instead he was GRANT GARDNER. The serial wasn't that bad. The film had a lot of action in it which helped. And the cliffhangers were pretty good.

A trivia note: In one part of the film Cap uses the ZORRO mask from another cliffhanger film.

Also; There was a CAPTAIN AMERICA comic that used in its story something of this cliffhanger. I think Cap (Steve Rodgers) meets the actor playing Cap. Something like that. Anyone Know? confused.gif

I have that Serial of Cap. It's campy as hell but alot of fun. My Son & I watched it together a couple times "teenager" he couldn;t stop laughing. He said , Dad ,This is a Classic!!! 27_laughing.gif He loves alot of the old movies & serials classic sci-fi,etc. But also likes modern stuff also. He always says it's a shame most kids his age have no interest in the old stuff ,if it's in black & white they won't even take the time to watch it!!! confused-smiley-013.gif

As it is, I have a soft spot for it because of it's homages to Golden Age Timely comics.

I agee, DD> While the movie was not the greated, I really loved the GA scenes showing his becoming Cap. Man, I wish there would be a real GA movie made. One of the reaons I liked THE SHADOW (an unpopular choice but I enjoyed it) and TRACY so much were the times they were set.

One of the reaons I liked THE SHADOW (an unpopular choice but I enjoyed it) and TRACY so much were the times they were set.

Same here. Both films are personal favorites of mine, and THE SHADOW has a superb score by the late(I hate saying it. God rest him) Jerry Goldsmith. Also, I watched THE PHANTOM the other night, and I really enjoy that one, as well. Nice serial pacing, and another great score.

Hopefully, CAPTAIN AMERICA is done right someday, and I hope the original Captain Marvel movie turns up ok when it's finally made.

Also, I watched THE PHANTOM the other night, and I really enjoy that one, as well. Nice serial pacing, and another great score.

Oh yeah! Forgot about THE PHANTOM! Guess maybe because I never read a Phantom comic book but only the newspaper strips. Hmmm - time to add to my Netflix queue. I shall re-watch with the properly adjusted attitude!