• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

...70's horror comics, what's a great read?

24 posts in this topic

....hi, i have recently been bitten (ouch) by the 70's horror comic bug, after picking up cheap runs of tomb of dracula and werewolf by night........

....there are a great read and i'm really enjoying them, some fantastic covers..........

....what i was wondering is, other than these two titles what other 70's horror books are a good read..............?

Swamp Thing! The first ten issues by Wein/Wrightson are great. I like the monster yarns in Where Creatures Roam and Where Monsters Dwell as well (personal taste). You can pick up Monster Masterworks trade paperback that reprints the 'better' stories. If you don't mind black & white comics, I would also recommend the Warren mags (Vampirella is really good, Creey & Eerie vary from issue).

continuing with hogations....give a look at DRACULA LIVES and VAMPIRE TALES mags. Great stories and art by Adams/Colan/etc. Adventure into Fear is a good series. House of Secrets as well.....enjoy! Can't beat teh Tomb of Dracula though. One of the best 70s runs. wink.gif

The first Man-Thing series is a great read. Great stories by Steve Gerber and Mike Ploog art in a few issues.

Gotta agree here. MAN-THING can be a surprisingly good read. I am also fond of the Bronze anthology horror titles like CRYPT OF SHADOWS, TOWER OF SHADOWS, CHAMBER OF CHILLS etc. These are the only post-code books I am collecting. While some do have reprints, especially from the Kirby Big Monster pre-hero period, there are also original stories by some good artists and writers. And the hippie aspect in some of the new stories can be funny - being an old hippie myself.

".......what about the 70's marvel frankenstein.....................is that any good?"

The series starts off pretty well - nice artwork (Mike Ploog if my memory serves correctly) with a close adaptation to Mary Shelley's book (well, as close as comic books get with adaptations). The series wanders a little bit after that, but there is an interesting cross-over appearance by Dracula and the two monsters duke it out.

Off topic a little bit - if you haven't read the book, then I would highly recommend it. It's a short book which is good for us comic book readers grin.gif

Horror I can't keep in stock regardless of grade or

essentially price. Werewolf by Night, Creatures on the

Loose [ slightly tilted towards fantasy], Tower of Shadows,

just about any EC reprint [RC copies most popular],

and Beware sells almost as soon as I list it on the site.

Seems to be a voracious, albeit somewhat more limited

fan interest field than superheroe lore. Horror crowd seems

to buy runs or large lots, whereas superheroe folk tend to

pick from several titles. Just the humble observations.... frown.gif

Pick up the DC reprint volume "Welcome Back to the House of Mystery" from 1998-- it set me back $6-- you ought to be able to get it cheap on eBay. Great stories by Adams, Wrightson, Aparo, Wally Wood. It is a great place to start- if you want to look further, any of the House of Mystery from 174-209, House of Secrets 81-100, and Witching Hour 1-14 are worth a try.

Cheers,

Z.

Hey doc!

Among others, it reprints HoM 186 (both the Adams & the Wrightson stories from that book), HoM 199 (Woody), HoM 202 (Aparo's "Demon Within" award-winner) and Wrightson stories from Plop 1 and Plop 2. Also has an Alex Nino and a Kane/Wood from I know not where.

But I may have been too hasty in believing this one is easily available on eBay--none to be found right now.

Cheers,

Z.

Chamber of Darkness has more original stories while Chamber of Chills contains more reprints (mosty from the 1950s), with later issues being complete reprints. Both are fine for reading if you like short 8-10 page horror stories. Best reading value for the buck? Probably Chamber of Chills. Both are pretty tough to locate in nice shape though.

House of Mystery #186--Perfection Cover to Cover

The Secret of the Egyptian Cat

Credits:

Robert Kanigher (-script), Bernie Wrightson (Pencils), Bernie Wrightson (Inks)

Reprinted: rep. in Limited Collectors Ed C-23, Masterworks 3

Nightmare

Credits:

Jack Oleck (-script), Neal Adams (Pencils), Neal Adams (Inks)

Reprinted: rep. in Limited Collectors Ed C-23, Blue Ribbon Digest 17

....hi, i have recently been bitten (ouch) by the 70's horror comic bug, after picking up cheap runs of tomb of dracula and werewolf by night........

....there are a great read and i'm really enjoying them, some fantastic covers..........

....what i was wondering is, other than these two titles what other 70's horror books are a good read..............?

Vampirella. Not the Vampi stories themselves (most were not well written) but the 3 or 4 other stories in each issue. The Bruce Jones stories are amazing. Plus, the artwork is so much better than the typical Marvel or DC issue - not only did Wrightson, Wood, Adams, Corben, etc. draw for Warren (not to mention the covers by Frazetta, Kelly, Sanjulian, etc.), but the Spanish talent that they hired (Gonzalez, Maroto, Auraleon, Ortiz, etc.) drew some of the prettiest artwork ever seen in comics.

for me the best issues are 1968-1972 DC horror for art, but the stories started to get better roughly 1974 when Michale fleisher started to add more horrific elements to the mix. Then again in the late 70's things picked up again. The last 2 years of HOM are full of GREAT Bruce Jones stories as well.I do love tomb of dracula, its one of marvel's finest written series without a doubt. I am literally about a week away from having the initial version of my Bronze horror website up which will detail the better individual issues. Quickly though, HOM186 & 207 are 2 fabulous issues to start with, as is the reprint HOM Zonker mentioned.