• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You know she's a keeper when...

58 posts in this topic

... she accepts that your comics are important enough to you that she won't let you sell them for her.

Some of you know that I am currently engaged to be married. Do to bills and money constraints the impending nuptials have been delayed. I know that it bothers her that we haven't gone through with it yet (it's been 16 months since I popped the question) and I had the brilliant idea that I would sell off a chunk of comics to help pay for the wedding. Since we're doing this in Vegas it's not as expensive as the normal wedding. Even so it's still in the range of $1500-$2000. When I told her tonight of my idea what does she tell me? "Why would you do that? We should just get married by the Justice of the Peace instead. Spend the money on other comics you want"

11_1_202.gif

She just inched that much closer to the perfect girl. She already accepts me going to play poker every week with my friends, watching baseball every night it's on tv (though she would rather go to the games thumbsup2.gif), watching football on Sundays that I'm off from work even though that might be the only day off we have together (I work in retail so I never get Saturday's with her), me having a subscription to Playboy (subscription her idea since it saved money over buying them every week) ... and oh so much more. She's the first girl that has ever accepted my sports "enthusiasm" and my comics Obsession. Can there be a better woman out there?

Moral of the story: Don't settle. There is a woman out there somewhere that will be happy with what you like and do. thumbsup2.gif

She already accepts me going to play poker every week with my friends, watching baseball every night it's on tv (though she would rather go to the games ), watching football on Sundays that I'm off from work even though that might be the only day off we have together (I work in retail so I never get Saturday's with her), me having a subscription to Playboy (subscription her idea since it saved money over buying them every week) ... and oh so much more. She's the first girl that has ever accepted my sports "enthusiasm" and my comics Obsession.

Are you sure it's a woman you are talking about?? 893whatthe.giftongue.gif

She already accepts me going to play poker every week with my friends, watching baseball every night it's on tv (though she would rather go to the games ), watching football on Sundays that I'm off from work even though that might be the only day off we have together (I work in retail so I never get Saturday's with her), me having a subscription to Playboy (subscription her idea since it saved money over buying them every week) ... and oh so much more. She's the first girl that has ever accepted my sports "enthusiasm" and my comics Obsession.

Are you sure it's a woman you are talking about?? 893whatthe.giftongue.gif

You took the words right out of my mouth. Any girl who would let me get away with murder is someone I'd be keeping a close eye on. gossip.gif

I know all there is to know about the crying game

I've had my share of the crying game

... she accepts that your comics are important enough to you that she won't let you sell them for her.

Wait till you have kids and you need to convert the comic storage room into another full bathroom...she'll do everything short of learning HTML to help you sell 'em ... 27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif

Some of you know that I am currently engaged to be married. Do to bills and money constraints the impending nuptials have been delayed. I know that it bothers her that we haven't gone through with it yet (it's been 16 months since I popped the question) and I had the brilliant idea that I would sell off a chunk of comics to help pay for the wedding. Since we're doing this in Vegas it's not as expensive as the normal wedding. Even so it's still in the range of $1500-$2000. When I told her tonight of my idea what does she tell me? "Why would you do that? We should just get married by the Justice of the Peace instead. Spend the money on other comics you want"

11_1_202.gif

She just inched that much closer to the perfect girl. She already accepts me going to play poker every week with my friends, watching baseball every night it's on tv (though she would rather go to the games thumbsup2.gif), watching football on Sundays that I'm off from work even though that might be the only day off we have together (I work in retail so I never get Saturday's with her), me having a subscription to Playboy (subscription her idea since it saved money over buying them every week) ... and oh so much more. She's the first girl that has ever accepted my sports "enthusiasm" and my comics Obsession. Can there be a better woman out there?

I have to ask too - this does not sound like most women I know, any woman I know as a matter of fact. Would this union to you be potentially her first marriage? If not, then I'd understand the ease with which she has foregone the traditional big wedding - she's already gone through it. As much as comics were a part of you and we played as superheroes when we were little, girls I knew have been planning their weddings since that age. If it is her first marriage, and you "skimp" by going with the Justice of the Peace route, it may not be her last... sorry.gif

Moral of the story: Don't settle. There is a woman out there somewhere that will be happy with what you like and do. thumbsup2.gif

You lucked out Brad...big time. Advocating this statement above will lead to many lonely fanboys out there. Life/marriage in my experience has been full of compromise where one's interests and goals as an individual become shared with their spouse or fall to the wayside in light of new common interests and goals. As much as the woman has to be happy with what you like and do, the reciprocal is true as well: you've got to accept it when she asks you to change things she doesn't like you doing, down the road...

You took the words right out of my mouth. Any girl who would let me get away with murder is someone I'd be keeping a close eye on. gossip.gif

27_laughing.gif Most of my girlfriends let me get away with "murder", but that is probably why they never got past "girlfriend" status... confused-smiley-013.gif

Apoth,

You are making the fatal assumption most guys do.........

When your girlfriend stops being your fiancee and becomes your wife, all bets are off. Enjoy your fun now, and don't come whining to us later and say we didn't warn you!

27_laughing.gif

Since we're doing this in Vegas it's not as expensive as the normal wedding. Even so it's still in the range of $1500-$2000.

I really hope this is not a first wedding for her.

Heck at a lot of weddings now the cake is close to the whole price you've quoted.

If this is a first wedding, and you end up at the justice of the peace instead of spending a ridiculously cheap amount on one of the most important days of her life, then I expect her to really enjoy selling of a bunch of those comics when the divorce comes.

Don't be so cheap - this is her big day - make her happy/

I know that it bothers her that we haven't gone through with it yet (it's been 16 months since I popped the question)...

I proposed Thanksgiving 1998...got married July 7, 2001 ...2.5 year engagement, but that's what it took to get the wedding to where we BOTH wanted it to be at. Long engagements are becoming more common. wink.gif

I know that it bothers her that we haven't gone through with it yet (it's been 16 months since I popped the question)...

I proposed Thanksgiving 1998...got married July 7, 2001 ...2.5 year engagement, but that's what it took to get the wedding to where we BOTH wanted it to be at. Long engagements are becoming more common. wink.gif

Right on. I'm going the "Nathan Detroit" route and staying engaged for 14 years before I am hornswoggled into marriage due to a craps game gone horribly wrong.

:::breaks into song:::

hm, sell the comics and give her a big wedding. In the long run you will be glad. You can start anew on the comic collecting but you and she will only marry once, well, to each other anyway!

11_1_202.gif

does she have an older sister???????

DO NOT SELL THE COMICS!

I too had met the 'perfect' girl...Beautiful, refined, yet loved Hockey, old horror movies and collected EC's !!!

First 'swipe' at my collection was for the wedding...all my DC's...$7000.00, her father, a great guy, paid the other half.

Second 'swipe' at my collection was for the new house construction...all but a handful of my Marvels, managed to keep my FF Kirbys except 1 and 4 and my Avengers except for 1,3,4, and 11, intact. Roughly $12,000.00 (its 1987).

Fast forward 5 years. She has charged over $15,000 on credit cards, and for dirty laundry I won't air here, we divorce. She gets the house, she gets my dog, I get half the credit card debt and I'm out my Marvel and DC's...

As a side note, during the house bulding process she asked if I would consider the selling the Gold to substantially increase the square footage...Thankfully, for whatever reason, I said no.

I know it may sound like sour grapes but I urge you to hold on to your books. By the way, I re-married in Vegas at the Stratosphere in 2001(her second as well)...and though we have a good relationship I can tell you my hobby at times becomes an issue of contention, something it had not been during our dating and engagement period.

Eyes open all the time and do not share the value of your collection.

Wait till you have kids and you need to convert the comic storage room into another full bathroom...she'll do everything short of learning HTML to help you sell 'em ... 27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif

Neither one of us want kids so this part shouldn't be a problem

I have to ask too - this does not sound like most women I know, any woman I know as a matter of fact. Would this union to you be potentially her first marriage?

It is her first marriage. The Justice of the Peace thing is because she hasn't wanted a big wedding all along. She doesn't see the point in spending all that money on one day. Her choice would be to spend it on the house of for a nice vacation. Part of it also comes from the fact that the only person she wants to invite is her brother and his wife. She hates the rest of her family. confused-smiley-013.gif

You lucked out Brad...big time.

Don't I know it.

Advocating this statement above will lead to many lonely fanboys out there. Life/marriage in my experience has been full of compromise where one's interests and goals as an individual become shared with their spouse or fall to the wayside in light of new common interests and goals. As much as the woman has to be happy with what you like and do, the reciprocal is true as well: you've got to accept it when she asks you to change things she doesn't like you doing, down the road...

I know... that's why I have worked my butt off to get her interested in things that I like. I've had some success with it as far as comics and baseball are concerned. She still won't sit on the couch and watch football with me (though she likes going to the games). I support here on everything she does and just hope that she won't flip the switch one day and hate all the things I do. We'll see how well it works out 'down the road'.

I really hope this is not a first wedding for her.

Heck at a lot of weddings now the cake is close to the whole price you've quoted.

If this is a first wedding, and you end up at the justice of the peace instead of spending a ridiculously cheap amount on one of the most important days of her life, then I expect her to really enjoy selling of a bunch of those comics when the divorce comes.

Don't be so cheap - this is her big day - make her happy/

I'm telling you... it's not me. She would be so much happier if I would just take her to the JotP and be done with it. This is a woman who doesn't fall into the typical mold of female. I think it all stems from the horrible childhood she had. Whatever the reason, she just tends to think more like a guy when it comes to romance and things. The most she wants for romance typically is just to snuggle in bed and read a book (125 books in a little more than 2 years 893whatthe.gif) She doesn't even like chick flicks (except "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"). She does like to clothes shop and I have been told... many times... that I will never be done buying jewelry, so she is like a typical woman in those ways, but other things are like a guy. She want's jet skis, a boat, a sandrail, a couple of motorcycles (cruisers and dirt bikes), she'll only drive a truck (until I can get her a Cadillac), she doesn't want kids (dogs only... she has a pitbull while I have bassett's)... I'm telling you... I'm the luckiest guy in the world. grin.gif

Yes... she does have an older slut.... errrr.... sister, but I guarantee you... you don't want her. She's like a black flippin hole. Every guy that gets near her gets his happiness and money sucked out... and that's while she's cheating on you. Wretched beast. Yes... I'm allowed to say that. It's much nicer than what my fiance says about her. 893whatthe.gif

Yes... she does have an older slut.... errrr.... sister, but I guarantee you... you don't want her. She's like a black flippin hole. Every guy that gets near her gets his happiness and money sucked out... and that's while she's cheating on you. Wretched beast. Yes... I'm allowed to say that. It's much nicer than what my fiance says about her. 893whatthe.gif

sounds like you got the right one as for the older sister (byby)

Anybody in here actually have a girlfriend or spouse who is into comics as much as you are? I managed to get my gf to go to a con with me early in our relationship, but since then she hasn't really taken much of an interest. confused-smiley-013.gif