• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dead@17

25 posts in this topic

I love this book. It's not Shakespeare, but it's fun. I liked it enough to do several reviews of the books at paperbackreader.com (see below if you're interested). I can totally see Howard honing his skills and becoming a better story teller and artist.

As for why the books are so expensive...the print run for each issue of the first mini-series was only 3000 copies. I'm no expert, but that seems might low.

If anyone is interested in my reviews of the series, here are some links:

First Mini

Issue #1 of second mini

Hi, all. Just thought I'd stop by and address some of the things people are saying.

And if I remember correctly, the TPB is more expensive than the cover price of the 4 issues and its in tiny digest form.

This is true, however, I challenge you to find those original issues at cover price. wink.gifBut that is beside the point. The series was very expensive to produce, especially for an indie book with a low print run. We didn't make a dime off of it. In order to continue to make quality comics and stay in business, Viper made the decision to price the trade at 14.95, which I agreed with. To ensure that people got their money's worth, I made sure that there was at least a whole issue's worth of bonus material included. I feel the extra 3 bucks is justified.

I specifically went looking for this after seeing some hype about it and thought it would be worth checking out. I picked up the trade in San Diego from two fellows at their booth who were clearly disinterested in talking about their project or even being very civil. No matter how bitter they may have been about being in the far end of the hall - or who knows what other issues they had on their mind - they only left me with the classic impression of the aloof, almost rude comic book creators who strangely seem to want to drive away anyone interested in paying for their product. I regret buying it now frankly, but I wanted to take the higher road when I saw what their attitude would be like. The comic itself is a Buffy variation with marginally professional artwork; I'm not sure what makes it such a hot pick at the moment.

I'm not sure who it was you talked to, but I'm not sure it was me. I always try to take extra care to be gracious and civil to everyone who takes the time to come by and visit, even if they don't purchase a book. If it was me, I apologize....but I assure you your general description of a rude and aloof creator doesn't apply to me. No one is more thankful to be a part of the comic book business than me, and I appreciate each and every fan I have. This is a dream come true for me. Cons can be very draining on exhibitors, publishers and creators....I'm sure whoever you spoke with was exhausted, tired, or having an off day. I'll vouch for the Viper boys any time. Sorry you didn't like the book.

I assume because their check to Wizard cleared?

For the record, neither me nor Viper have ever bought advertising in Wizard, ever. They just genuinely like the book.

I don't know why the book has generated the buzz that it has....no one is more surprised than me.

Welcome, and thanks for the input.

I haven't bought any of your books...but the posts here on the board have made me curious and I'm currently looking for some of the back issues.

Good Luck with the series and your overall career...you lucky dog(i.e. getting to do what most of us here dream about, creating our own comic).

Is the 3,000 printed figure mentioned in this thread correct. If so, man, those are TMNT numbers.