• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dead@17

25 posts in this topic

Anybody heard of this book? I bought Wizard as beach reading this weekend (for the first time in ages) and this was one of the more interesting items in the price guide. They have every issue of this series marked "hot" and the first issue and preview are $25 and $40 respectively.

Here's the preview issue on ebay

Anyway, anyone heard of this and is it worth the (seemingly non existant) hype?

I don't know anything about the title itself, but I know I wouldn't spend 15-40 bucks on a book that in all likely hood will be worth 2-5 dollars a year down the road. Guess it just depends on how badly you want to read the series.. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Brian

Oh yeah, I'm definitely not about to buy the originals, but it looks like there is a trade out.

The thing's got to be at least interesting to be bringing that kind of money so soon after release. I mean, the book's going for more than Walking Dead, which is at least known to MOST modern collectors.

Please tell me this isn't another "Kid Becomes Grim Reaper" BS stories hitting on the current movie/TV fad?

Not sure I'm aware of that fad. confused-smiley-013.gif

I found some info on Newsarama. The 8 page preview on the publisher's site didnt do much for me.

Link

It's a decent book. The art style is like a cross between manga and something like Oeming's Powers style. The story is that a cute teenager named Nara is murdered, but she comes back to life. There's a secret good society fighting a war against a secret evil society and Nara is the Slayer/last Jedi/avatar with the power to end it, one way or the other. There's a demon who's trying to insert his spirit into her (hey, me too), and while there's a lot of echoes of other books/movies/comics in it, if you only read one of these kinds of books like I do, it's not bad. Not like OMG, you-gotta-read-this good, but I don't begrudge the $2.95. The printing is very nice with very slick white paper. The first series is available in a digest-size TPB, and the last issue of the 2nd series should be out in the next week or two. Josh Howard is a nice guy whose done numerous signings in Texas (he's from Dallas) lately, and could become big in the near future if he does any work with a major house plus all the buzz in Wizard. I don't know if I'd buy at current prices, but I'm cheap.

I didn't care for the book. Pretty mundane boring stuff.

And if I remember correctly, the TPB is more expensive than the cover price of the 4 issues and its in tiny digest form.

Get my thumbs down all around.

I specifically went looking for this after seeing some hype about it and thought it would be worth checking out. I picked up the trade in San Diego from two fellows at their booth who were clearly disinterested in talking about their project or even being very civil. No matter how bitter they may have been about being in the far end of the hall - or who knows what other issues they had on their mind - they only left me with the classic impression of the aloof, almost rude comic book creators who strangely seem to want to drive away anyone interested in paying for their product. I regret buying it now frankly, but I wanted to take the higher road when I saw what their attitude would be like. The comic itself is a Buffy variation with marginally professional artwork; I'm not sure what makes it such a hot pick at the moment.

Arnold

The comic itself is a Buffy variation with marginally professional artwork; I'm not sure what makes it such a hot pick at the moment.

I assume because their check to Wizard cleared? confused-smiley-013.gif

At the San Diego Comic-Con I had heard the buzz about this comic being a must read. I knew very little about this comic prior to Comic-Con. I read the first few issues of series one and found it to be one of the most enjoyable comics I have read in months. I loved the artwork and the story.

I went to the Dead @17 / Viper comics booth at Comic-Con and was able to meet the series creator / writer / artist, Josh Howard. The people working the booth were more than happy to discuss the comic and their new upcoming series. After talking to Josh Howard, I commissioned a few sketches from him at the show and he did a GREAT job on all of them. He really put time and effort into each sketch. I even bought a nice page from issue 3 of series one.

Of the many artists that I have purchased commissioned sketches from, he was one of the most humble and cool artists I have had the pleasure of meeting.

I recommend the series to anyone who is looking for a fun story with nice artwork.

Am I the only one who tought this was a fun book?

It was...ok fun I guess. Its almost getting the attention that 30 Days of Night got, and thats not really warranted.