• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reholdering old label books

54 posts in this topic

I didn't want to bother with the ask Gemma forum as that could take weeks for an answer.

So if you get an old label book reholdered do they replace the innerwell in addition to the outer case? I have an old label slab that isn't damaged, but I'd like to get it into to one of that safer inner wells. But it's a 9.8 GA book so I don't want it to be regraded, just reholdered.

I believe that the books are given a once over to ensure they're still in grade. If there's anything obvious that drops it out of grade it will be regraded whether you want it to or not.

I presume so if they give the book a once over and it ends up in a new holder. I couldn't answer that one for definite though, so I wouldn't take my word for it as it's pretty much a guess.

Another quandry is I hate to leave a 9.8 church book in an old well that has SCS potential (which is why I want to get it reholdered), but at the same time I don't want mail it to CGC and risk the SCS damage that that I was afraid of to start with. And they don't do on-site reholders! lol

Another quandry is I hate to leave a 9.8 church book in an old well that has SCS potential (which is why I want to get it reholdered), but at the same time I don't want mail it to CGC and risk the SCS damage that that I was afraid of to start with. And they don't do on-site reholders! lol
Road Trip!

I presume so if they give the book a once over and it ends up in a new holder. I couldn't answer that one for definite though, so I wouldn't take my word for it as it's pretty much a guess.

They do - both the inner and outer well gets changed when you're going from an old label holder to a new.

I didn't want to bother with the ask Gemma forum as that could take weeks for an answer.

So if you get an old label book reholdered do they replace the innerwell in addition to the outer case? I have an old label slab that isn't damaged, but I'd like to get it into to one of that safer inner wells. But it's a 9.8 GA book so I don't want it to be regraded, just reholdered.

I have reholdered EVERY book I own at least once. Yes, they replace both.

You cannot do on-site reholdering. When the new invoice rates went into effect this was announced. A reholder (for any book under $50,000) is $12. It is best to send in at LEAST 10 or it is generally not worth the cost of shipping; unless they are all considerably high value books (think thousands, not hundreds).

Kind Regards,

'mint'

Why?

Why?

I was going to ask the same question.

To echo the others, um, why?

You cannot do on-site reholdering.

Yeah, I mentioned that already

When the new invoice rates went into effect this was announced. A reholder (for any book under $50,000) is $12. It is best to send in at LEAST 10 or it is generally not worth the cost of shipping; unless they are all considerably high value books (think thousands, not hundreds).

Um, this doesn't make any sense. I have a 9.8 GA Church in an old slab, that if it shifts too hard in the box could easily turn into a 9.4 or 9.2 and you're saying it's not worth the $30 or so it would cost to reholder it unless it's worth thousands? I mean yeah I guess could save 10 bucks sending it in with a regular submission, but it's insurance that drives up postage costs anyway.

I'm not worried about 10 or 20 bucks. I'm worried about preserving a beautiful, near flawless 70-year old book in it's current state.

So yeah, I guess a road trip is in order.

Are you asking if a Golden Age book in the old style solid inner well case (has hard walls that like to damage comics upon impact) will get reholdered with a new style soft inner well case (basically looks like book is just floating in a mylar bag)?

If so, my understanding is that CGC only uses the new style case on Modern books, and some late Bronze Age books.

I believe that the new style case may cause damage to a Golden Age book due to the weight of a Golden Age book. It could cause the cover to separate from the staples.

Are you asking if a Golden Age book in the old style solid inner well case (has hard walls that like to damage comics upon impact) will get reholdered with a new style soft inner well case (basically looks like book is just floating in a mylar bag)?

Yes, exactly.

If so, my understanding is that CGC only uses the new style case on Modern books, and some late Bronze Age books.

Ah, didn't realize that. So there's no point in doing a reholder.

I believe that the new style case may cause damage to a Golden Age book due to the weight of a Golden Age book. It could cause the cover to separate from the staples.

And if this true then I wouldn't want to do it anyway. :eek:

Thanks!

About this.

I imagine a 9.8 Church book would not be very prone to SCS, I bet that thing is about as tight a book out there. Not much overhang to get dinged, let alone the cover is thick enough to withstand a bump or three. So I was curious as to why you said it had, "SCS potential"

Is it floating around in too big an inner well?

Makes me curious though, out of all the cases of SCS we have seen, how many were GA books?

I can't seem to recall many, if any out of all the cases of SA overhang, or outer edges getting dinged.

Besides using different paper and not having an overhang, many GA books also use different inks that do not "crack" the way SA and BA books do.

About this.

I imagine a 9.8 Church book would not be very prone to SCS, I bet that thing is about as tight a book out there. Not much overhang to get dinged, let alone the cover is thick enough to withstand a bump or three. So I was curious as to why you said it had, "SCS potential"

Is it floating around in too big an inner well?

Makes me curious though, out of all the cases of SCS we have seen, how many were GA books?

I can't seem to recall many, if any out of all the cases of SA overhang, or outer edges getting dinged.

Well, I've heard all these horror stories about the old wells, but i didn't realize SCS wasn't a problem for GA. That does make me feel better. I just don't really have many old label books left.

What title is it? If I may ask.

As you know many GA books were built totally different then others.

Be it the publisher, war era, pre code etc..

I guess what I am saying is..."Can we see it!"