• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a Fantastic Four #1 worth? --- newbie question

14 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am a rare coin dealer and know nothing about comics. Nothing!

I received a call today from a lady who was curious what a Fantastic Four #1 is worth without the cover. I told her that I would post the question here on her behalf, since she does not have internet access.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dennis

Jade Rare Coin

Grand Rapids, Michigan

Probably not any where near as much as she thinks it is worth...when you tell her that it might be worth a couple of hundred dollars she will probably think that you are trying to rip her off...Sounds like a no win situation...

The Golden Record reprint of FF 1 does not have any ads, so that would be easy to identify as being inauthentic.

I'm not aware of any other reprints that would potentially contain the original advertisements, or have an unaltered indicia.

She did call a couple of comic book shops, but they were not helpful, so she says. She called and asked if I knew of any comic dealers in the area. I don't, but told her that I would post the question on a public forum. We often give free appraisals for coins on internet forums, so I knew this would be a good place to find the true value.

FYI, we have NO interest in buying the comic. We only deal in coins and currency. I was just trying to give her some ammo to aid the selling of the comic. One guy locally offered her $100, but she though it was worth more.

Thanks for all of the advice!

She did call a couple of comic book shops, but they were not helpful, so she says. She called and asked if I knew of any comic dealers in the area. I don't, but told her that I would post the question on a public forum. We often give free appraisals for coins on internet forums, so I knew this would be a good place to find the true value.

FYI, we have NO interest in buying the comic. We only deal in coins and currency. I was just trying to give her some ammo to aid the selling of the comic. One guy locally offered her $100, but she though it was worth more.

Thanks for all of the advice!

I'll give her $120... gossip.gif

If it has all the insides, and is dry, with no big pieces out or huge rips or tape.

thumbsup2.gif

One guy locally offered her $100, but she though it was worth more.

This is the point where you wash your hands of the whole affair. Seriously.

I was serious you know.

I need one after I sold mine to Filter. crazy.gif

From a dealer that may be the best she can expect. If it's worth $200-$250 then she shouldn't expect more then $100-150 from a dealer. She could probably get more on Ebay. This is assuming it is authentic.

This is the point where you wash your hands of the whole affair. Seriously.

Yeah someone long ago made the mistake of telling people that comics are worth lots of money. They really arent worth anything. A lot of them are not worth any where near the cover price when you buy them much less in a few years. Probably well less than .01% of comics are worth(could be sold for) more than $20.

I'm not aware of any other reprints that would potentially contain the original advertisements, or have an unaltered indicia.

Unfortunately, the indicia is on the inside of the front cover frown.gif But the ads ought to do it to distinguish the original book

I have sold a totally trashed coverless copy of Fantastic Four 1 for $200. I will gladly give you $250 for the mythical "little old lady" copy.

Coverless books have a HUGE following, and if they are nice coverless copies, a good rule of thumb is 25% of the Overstreet "Good" price, which, in this case, is $850, so around $212.50.