• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

This was posted in the registry forum, but......

133 posts in this topic

...I really feel strongly about this and felt I should post it here also. The first 2 posts are from board members about Modern registry sets and then there is my answer What do the rest of you think? Do you feel the same way? Or do think collecting should be for an elite few? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But it's very limited . Seems to me lots of Moderns , maybe a company plan to get more meaningless submissions .

Yeah, and WTF is something as insipid as Ultimate FF getting pushed ahead of important series that have been collected for decades?

Next year, UFF will be in the bargain bins, and CGC will have another useless entry to delete.

2 things....

1) CGC, and comic collecting in general, is not about "what I collect is great, what you collect is not worth money or just sucks". It is about promoting the hobby for EVERYONE, not just one person or one set of collector's. I spoke with Bob Overstreet (Guess what he does), Maggie Thompson (CBG), Jon Berk (past AACC President), Dave Armstrong (President AACC), Jim McLauchlin (ACTOR) and many other's this weekend at SDCC and they all agree, the hobby became too "elite" and things like UFF and USM bring people back into our hobby. After many years some drop out, but some go on to become life long hobbyists. The new reader's/collector are the only future this hobby has. If you care about the hobby, just help the "new" collector/reader enjoy the hobby, don't push them out.

2) We have put up many sets that are not Modern. These are harder to score and longer runs take longer to set up. In 2 years, we should have most sets up and scored

Please treat each other well, it is why I loved this hobby when I first found fandom, most people were happy you were around no matter what you collected angel.gif

...I really feel strongly about this and felt I should post it here also. The first 2 posts are from board members about Modern registry sets and then there is my answer What do the rest of you think? Do you feel the same way? Or do think collecting should be for an elite few? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Quote:

Quote:

But it's very limited . Seems to me lots of Moderns , maybe a company plan to get more meaningless submissions .

Yeah, and WTF is something as insipid as Ultimate FF getting pushed ahead of important series that have been collected for decades?

Next year, UFF will be in the bargain bins, and CGC will have another useless entry to delete.

2 things....

1) CGC, and comic collecting in general, is not about "what I collect is great, what you collect is not worth money or just sucks". It is about promoting the hobby for EVERYONE, not just one person or one set of collector's. I spoke with Bob Overstreet (Guess what he does), Maggie Thompson (CBG), Jon Berk (past AACC President), Dave Armstrong (President AACC), Jim McLauchlin (ACTOR) and many other's this weekend at SDCC and they all agree, the hobby became too "elite" and things like UFF and USM bring people back into our hobby. After many years some drop out, but some go on to become life long hobbyists. The new reader's/collector are the only future this hobby has. If you care about the hobby, just help the "new" collector/reader enjoy the hobby, don't push them out.

2) We have put up many sets that are not Modern. These are harder to score and longer runs take longer to set up. In 2 years, we should have most sets up and scored

Please treat each other well, it is why I loved this hobby when I first found fandom, most people were happy you were around no matter what you collected angel.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

I primarily collect high grade silver age and bronze age books, but I also read Ultimate FF and Ultimate Spider-Man, among dozens of other new titles every month. I think that the "What I collect is cool, what you collect is stupid" mentality is destructive to the hobby, as is belittling someone who collects only moderns. If someone's idea of collecting is to put together NM/MT slabbed runs of UFF (or GI Joe vs. Transformers for that matter), then more power to them. It is nice to see that you are adding registry sets for modern runs, rather than dedicating all of your time to just the high end back issue sets.

Just because someone has more money to blow on back issues than a young person who buys only moderns does not mean that the guy with the thicker wallet is a "better" collector or more valuable to the hobby.

Just so we're on the same page, here's a list of the comic sets that have been entered in the last wave, along with the Gold/Silver/Bronze/Modern Age I assume they are.

The complaints posted on the Registry forum had NOTHING to do with "my comics are better than yours", but at the insane level of MODERN BOOKS being posted.

In fact, I'm all for equality, but I don't see a SINGLE Bronze comic book series on that list. Not a SINGLE one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gold:

Mad 24-50

Silver:

Brave and the Bold 28-30

Showcase 22-24

Spectacular Spiderman Magazines 1-2

Modern:

Ultimate Spider-man expanded to 1-50

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1-4

Secret Wars (Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars)

Superman/Batman 1-10

Ultimate Fantastic Four 1-5

Ultimate X-Men 1-25

Wolverine: The End 1-3

Misc Magazines:

Savage Tales

Steve, I know what you are saying as we've talked about this before. Of course I agree with everything you said and I have always believed that there are unfortunately many out there with "comic egos". Whether they claim only high grades are worthwhile, only vintage books, only well written books, only pedigree books or whatever. All comics may not have been created equal but all collectors were created equal and nobody's idea of what a great comic or comic collection is, is any more valid than anybody else's.

But, be consoled in the fact that this elitist attitude is surely not limited to comics. I have always felt this same way about musical tastes. Some people think rock music is just loud noise with terrible lyrics, and they should just listen to "real music" like jazz. Some of my friends put down bands that play love ballads like Air Supply and Celine Dion. Hey, I LOVE love ballads, I even like some N'Sync and Backstreet Boys, along with my heavier stuff. I've dealt with music snobs all my life. With any kind of hobby or art form we will have to deal with these attitudes.

Most important I believe is to be upfront about what kinds of art you prefer and why. Debates are great and I always welcome a Silver vs. Modern (and which is better) debate. But the important thing is to respect each other's preferences as each individual only knows what is best for him and really has no clue about what is best for somebody else.

Anyway, my two pennies. -------Sid

If anything, modern sets encourage participation in the registry because they represent a more attainable goal. That's a good thing for cultivating the high grade collector segment of the hobby.

You can build a primo run of a modern series for $25-40 per issue in 9.8. While this adds up over time, consider the cost of a 10 or 20 issue high grade run of gold, silver, or even certain bronze titles. You could easily have to spend 10x the amount or more depending on the genre.

A true collector buys what they enjoy within the context of their budget, and moderns are a perfect solution for those who wish to collect in high grade. There is room for everyone in the hobby. Period.

There is room for everyone in the hobby. Period.

Except, apparently, Bronze Age Collectors:

In fact, I'm all for equality, but I don't see a SINGLE Bronze comic book series on that list. Not a SINGLE one.

The complaints posted on the Registry forum had NOTHING to do with "my comics are better than yours", but at the insane level of MODERN BOOKS being posted.

In fact, I'm all for equality, but I don't see a SINGLE Bronze comic book series on that list. Not a SINGLE one.

JC,

You may genuinely feel that way, but why did you feel compelled to snub the worthiness of moderns (particularly UFF) because there were no bronze additions? Your comments, taken at face value, had EVERYTHING to do with "my comics are better than yours".

I agree that it's unfortunate that no bronze titles were added in the recent batch, but there's no reason to slam a comic (that I assume you don't collect) from a different era to express your displeasure.

-Jim, who owns UFF # 1 AND Knights 4 # 1 in CGC 9.8

Once again for the math-impaired, here is the breakdown on recent Registry additions:

One Gold

Three Silver

SEVEN Modern 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893blahblah.gif893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gif

ZERO Bronze 893naughty-thumb.gif

One Misc Magazine

It's pretty obvious that with this overt statement, CGC is stating that adding new Modern runs to the Registry is more important than Silver and Gold.

And as for the Bronze comic era? I guess it doesn't exist. sorry.gif

So yes, as a Bronze Age collector, I think it's incredibly lame that SEVEN Modern sets get added compared to a big fat Goose Egg for Bronze. And I think it's even lamer that Borock comes on here crying foul about all us "Comic Elitists" who want to crush Modern comics under our boot.

Seems to me that CGC is the one doing this, and letting Moderns run rampant. What do we call that?

Just so we're on the same page, here's a list of the comic sets that have been entered in the last wave, along with the Gold/Silver/Bronze/Modern Age I assume they are.

In fact, I'm all for equality, but I don't see a SINGLE Bronze comic book series on that list. Not a SINGLE one. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Gold:

Mad 24-50

Silver:

Brave and the Bold 28-30

Showcase 22-24

Modern:

Superman/Batman 1-10

Ultimate X-Men 1-25

Misc Magazines:

Savage Tales

But JC, that is not what your post said and the attitude was very condesending and that is bad for the hobby in general. You want more Bronze sets, send me a PM and I (and CGC) will be happy to try to accomodate you and any other collector if possible. Do you really believe that we will not have a MTU, X-Men, Swampthing, MOKF, HTD, Warlord, Marvel variants, Kirbys 4th World, and many others within a year, then you don't know me that well.

But the bottom line is attitude. Words like "insipid" and phrases like "Next year, UFF will be in the bargain bins, and CGC will have another useless entry to delete." really hurt our hobby.

Gold:

Mad 24-50

Silver:

Brave and the Bold 28-30

Showcase 22-24

Modern:

Superman/Batman 1-10

Ultimate X-Men 1-25

Misc Magazines:

Savage Tales

But JC, that is not what your post said and the attitude was very condesending and that is bad for the hobby in general. You want more Bronze sets, send me a PM and I (and CGC) will be happy to try to accomodate you and any other collector if possible. Do you really believe that we will not have a MTU, X-Men, Swampthing, MOKF, HTD, Warlord, Marvel variants, Kirbys 4th World, and many others within a year, then you don't know me that well.

But the bottom line is attitude. Words like "insipid" and phrases like "Next year, UFF will be in the bargain bins, and CGC will have another useless entry to delete." really hurt our hobby.

29_4_21.gif "If you don't know me by nowwwww, you will never never never know me, ooooooooooh...." 29_4_21.gif

Hey, I'm nothing if not colorful, and regardless of the hyperbole, it's pretty obvious (especially when including the previous "too many Moderns" quote I replied to) what the intent of my post was.

Too many freaking Moderns boyz!!

Equality: (1) of the same measure, quantity, amount, or number as another.

Personally, I think adding a majority of Modern books, at the direct expense of Bronze, is terrible for the hobby too, but what am I gonna do?

Hey, I'm nothing if not colorful, and regardless of the hyperbole, it's pretty obvious (especially when including the previous "too many Moderns" quote I replied to) what the intent of my post was.

Too many freaking Moderns boyz!!

Equality: (1) of the same measure, quantity, amount, or number as another.

Personally, I think adding a majority of Modern books, at the direct expense of Bronze, is terrible for the hobby too, but what am I gonna do?

Which sets have you requested be added JC?

Once again for the math-impaired, here is the breakdown on recent Registry additions:

One Gold

Three Silver

SEVEN Modern 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893blahblah.gif893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gif

ZERO Bronze 893naughty-thumb.gif

One Misc Magazine

It's pretty obvious that with this overt statement, CGC is stating that adding new Modern runs to the Registry is more important than Silver and Gold.

And as for the Bronze comic era? I guess it doesn't exist. sorry.gif

I'm not math impared, Joe. I'm asking why you felt it necessary to slam a modern because a different era was not represented.

Again, I completely agree 100% that the absence of bronze is unfortunate.

Regardless of JC tends to downplay the Bronze section of the registry. There are a fair number of titles represented from the Bronze age. Even if there there were, how entries would JC enter anyway? Seems like more of an ego-stroking thing, to which JC is opposed to normally.

Why isn't he as vocal about Golden Age titles being represented? Perhaps because he doesn't care about those. How about independent publishers, surely he would want those also.

Marvel Team-up, Captain Marvel 25-34, and to either add the 30 and 35-cent variants into their respective sets, or to create a whole new area.

There were a few others, but I remember those four specifically.

Marvel Team-up, Captain Marvel 25-34, and to either add the 30 and 35-cent variants into their respective sets, or to create a whole new area.

There were a few others, but I remember those four specifically.

Based on Steve's comments above, it sounds like you'll be getting your wishes soon enough...what ID will you be entering your books under? confused-smiley-013.gif

Steve's right though, your comments on the addition of modern sets are not productive to promoting our hobby. Instead of saying "Why did you add those modern sets, they're dumb!?!?" with all the negative nellie comments, you should have repeated your requests for your favorite bronze sets to be added, even if others think those sets aren't cool. We should use these boards to promote our hobby Joe, not tear it a new one... 893whatthe.gif

Steve.....my view of the world is that I could care less about registries, just by having them you are promoting elitism, however, I am all for anything that promotes this hobby and helps create an ongoing collector base. I believe that most people who collect GA, SA and bronze have already made the emotional connection to comics and are in for the long haul, so if by putting up more modern sets helps those who haven't connected become comic addicts then I say go for it. thumbsup2.gif

we've got a registry? tongue.gif

in seriousness, I thought based on JC's breakdown of titles added, it showed a correlation to what was being submitted and thus encouraged more participation from those who owned these books. as for the "bargain bin" comments, i'd just chalk it up to colorful personal opinion. I have to admit my Golden age bashing may have reprecussions I never considered 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can accept the "older/more valuable the books, the harder to score, the longer to set up" explanation.

I also find a potential Marvel Price variant registry set very exciting and would love to help get this expedited. btw is there an Wolverine: the Origin registry set?

Based on Steve's comments above, it sounds like you'll be getting your wishes soon enough...what ID will you be entering your books under? confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually, as I only collect CGC Byrne books, I won't be entering many, but I do like perusing the Registry on the off-chance that someone has uploaded a scan of a killer book.

Right now, that leaves my Starlin Captain Marvel browsing dead in the water.

and to either add the 30 and 35-cent variants into their respective sets, or to create a whole new area.

I submitted a similar request too when the redistry first came out. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I swore I wouldn't use the registry until then 893scratchchin-thumb.gif