• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The moderns are taking over!!

28 posts in this topic

Seriously. I have had a subscription service through New Force comics for like 5 years, and the books are taking over. At a high of 30 titles a month down to about 15, its alot of books. What do I do to thin the herd.. Easiest method.

Seriously. I have had a subscription service through New Force comics for like 5 years, and the books are taking over. At a high of 30 titles a month down to about 15, its alot of books. What do I do to thin the herd.. Easiest method.

Ask yourself am I getting this tittle because I'm enjoying it or because I always bought it?

If you still have too many after that just make a quick list of the titles and give 1 to 5 stars on each book based on: Art, Writting, Character (if you like them or not), price/pages relation and overall fun. Keep the tittles that have more stars (if it's a tie for the last spot on your list just flip a damn coin)! xD

Ask yourself am I getting this tittle because I'm enjoying it or because I always bought it?

If you still have too many after that just make a quick list of the titles and give 1 to 5 stars on each book based on: Art, Writting, Character (if you like them or not), price/pages relation and overall fun. Keep the tittles that have more stars (if it's a tie for the last spot on your list just flip a damn coin)! xD

I dropped many titles for the reason of cost or lack of enjoyment. There were some that got good as I stopped, but stuck to my guns! But now, there are just so many.. Do I dump them in lots or what? I really am overwhelmed here, and time is a huge limiting factor.

Easiest method.

DC_Comics_digital_All-devices-no-characters-540x291.jpeg

Large venues like Chuck or Mycomicshop would probably make an offer on all you've amassed. Then pre-screen by going digital, if an issue rises to something earthshattering go buy a hardcopy or two. And maybe that happens a few times a decade.

I had this problem when I really got into buying back issues. I just went through and dropped all the titles that were at the bottom of my stack. That kind of worked but my pull list had gotten out of control.

What I did was make a list of books that I pulled and felt I had to have. I found that it cut my list in half almost instantly. I couldn't even remember a pretty good chunk of my list.

The New 52 really screwed up my list. I was pulling so many DC titles for about 6 months, and many of them I just did not enjoy.

I'm down to about three a month, and thinking of reducing it further. I could probably get by with only Walking Dead as a regular monthly, with Usagi Yojimbo popping up here and there and the annual Love And Rockets. Everything else I'm ready to trade wait for or stop reading altogether.

I collected roughly 20 modern titles plus a pile of add ons every month now I am done to zero. I seriously stopped reading and was only buying them to keep the runs complete. Wasting money. I miss a few like Jonah hex and DD but I will likely buy the trades and read them. I am saving $150-200 a month on moderns. I do still buy some back key issue and a few good reading runs.

I've just chopped my list down. It is tough, but just go with the books you like most. The rest, you can pick up in cheap bins down the line.

Post up a list of the books you get and we can chop it for you since you are indecisive.

What`s the deal here? Why are so many people dropping moderns? hm

Is it the price or the terrible reboots we keep getting?

For me it was simply I find the superheroes much more interesting in animation,movies and videogames now.Hollywood does a better job now than the people who write the comics for Marvel and DC(especially DC).

I also really find spending $3.99 to $2.99 to be a 15 minute rip-off compared to other forms of entertainment,and when I do read a comic it`s on my Kindle Fire or Ipad for a much cheaper cover price.

At almost $5 a pop they just aren't worth it. Trades are available for about 25% of the cost. Gotta be honest the first month was the worse now I don't even think about them or the trades I don't miss them at all.

What`s the deal here? Why are so many people dropping moderns? hm

For me, it's a combo of price and interest. $4 a book for 20-22 page books just isn't worth it. I'll pay that for ASM and that's about it.

Plus, my new books have been piling up lately. I use to tear through them in a few nights, but now there are only a few that I really want to read right away. Those are the ones that I'm keeping as a sub. The rest, I'll save my money and get them cheaper down the line or as a trade. Or not. I have enough older stuff to read and re-read anyway.

I'm starting to feel like the time has really come for the comic companies to accept the burden of figuring out how to bring in new readers in order to drop the price of comics which has gotten out of hand or at least stop it from climbing even more unreasonably. I'm tired of accepting higher prices on comics because there are less and less readers.

You will never thin it down to "investment potential" !! The age of new ideology is upon us !! Everywhere you look, every class of people, every creed, nationality, race, and grouping are seeing the wave of newness !! The new thinking is upon us ! The new world order ! Old things are slipping away, and the fantastic expansion of new thought is being spoken and written about in careless abandon !! Creativity will guide humanity ! New world thinking is about to become dominant !! The old will pass away and be ushered into museums.... the new will be devoured, absorbed, and put into the general consciousness !! Its time to create !! Its time to guide !! Its time to listen !!

Ahem... ok... well, thats my opinion :grin::popcorn: