• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chamber of Darkness #4?

30 posts in this topic

The other big difference is Swamp thing is CALLED Swamp thing in HOS92

Ah....but if you want to argue semantics....

The character in COD #4 is called the "Barbarian" just doesn't start with "Conan" like Olsen isn't Holland in the two ST stories. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Hey, on the HOS 92 vs. ST #1 debate, didn't the HOS story take place in a far different era than the *true* Swamp Thing? As in old England,as opposed to present day?

I may be wrong, but as I don't have a copy handy, I thought I'd ask.

yes the time period is different in HOS92, hence its questionability

When you get right down to it, HOS 92 fits all of the requirements of a "prototype" issue, other than the fact that OS choked the chicken and listed it erroneously.

Different character, different time, different everything, obviously not counting lame Modern "elemental" retcons, and definitely a prototype in all senses of the word.

It's also amusing that the vast majority of people haven't even read HOS 92 and don't know these are two totally different characters. This is the generic comment you'll find at even comic-centric sites:

'In 1971, Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson put together a small 8 page story for HOUSE OF SECRETS #92 of a man named Alex Holland who was madly in love with his wife, but a tragic accident in his lab and his burial in the bog caused him to be resurrected as THE SWAMP-THING."

'In 1971, Len Wein and Bernie Wrightson put together a small 8 page story for HOUSE OF SECRETS #92 of a man named Alex Holland who was madly in love with his wife, but a tragic accident in his lab and his burial in the bog caused him to be resurrected as THE SWAMP-THING."

Well, actually it ws the murder of Alex Olson by his assistant (who was in love with his wife), from a setup lab accident, and his body was hidden in the bog in HOS 92.

Alec Holland made his appearance in Swamp Thing #1, also by Wein and Wrightson.

::edited for the following::

While I DO now feel that HOS 92 is a prototype issue, it has to be the closest prototype issue ever. Same cause of death. Same bog action. Same name. Same concept of memories. Basically ST #1 re-writes the core of HOS 92, changing the circumstances of the death but both are also murders. I have to wonder if ANY prototype came this close to the final, established character.