• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chamber of Darkness #4?

30 posts in this topic

What's the deal with this book? According to a recent auction listing (sorry, no link), it contains a Barry Windsor-Smith musclebound sword swingin' barbarian type story pre-dating Conan #1. 1st Conan? Prototype?

According to the seller, the story was reprinted in Conan #16, but I don't know, I don't have either issue to compare. If true, that would lend credence to the prototype theory... Any Conanophiles out there care?

The prototype was "Starr the Slayer" fighting a wizard named Trull.

The resemblence of course is he's called a barbarian and he has the famous........

HORNED HELMET.

The Conan 16 story is identical except for the coloring. I'll leave the explanation of this page for you to find out yourself(blatent encouragement for you to buy Conan).

1091298083234_cd_4.jpg

Chamber of Darkness #4

1089957689291_conan_16.jpg

Conan #16

The prototype was "Starr the Slayer" fighting a wizard named Trull.

The resemblence of course is he's called a barbarian and he has the famous........

HORNED HELMET.

The Conan 16 story is identical except for the coloring. I'll leave the explanation of this page for you to find out yourself(blatent encouragement for you to buy Conan).

1091298083234_cd_4.jpg

Chamber of Darkness #4

1089957689291_conan_16.jpg

Conan #16

Good thread ....learn something new every day... 893applaud-thumb.gif

What's the deal with this book? According to a recent auction listing (sorry, no link), it contains a Barry Windsor-Smith musclebound sword swingin' barbarian type story pre-dating Conan #1. 1st Conan? Prototype?

According to the seller, the story was reprinted in Conan #16, but I don't know, I don't have either issue to compare. If true, that would lend credence to the prototype theory... Any Conanophiles out there care?

What's the big surprise here? I believe this book has been listed as a Conan try-out issue by BWS in the OS guide for the past 25 years.

Nothing new here. confused-smiley-013.gif

What's the big surprise here? I believe this book has been listed as a Conan try-out issue by BWS in the OS guide for the past 25 years.

Just wanted to know if it was true or not. Keep your pants on.

Please pardon my ignorance...

***Note to self...must remember to read ENTIRE overstreet***

I've got most of overstreet memorized that I find pertinent to my collecting.....obviously not everything, and this from a guy who read a set of encylopedias from A to Z.

Anyway, just picked up my copy of Chamber of Darkness #4 this past year. I've had the Conan #16 since the 1980s. Even after initially reading the CD4 I'd forgotten having ever read the prototype story way back when in conan. After looking the entry up in Overstreet I'd notice the proto notation, and looked up the Conan issue again. That's why I had both books handy for this thread.

It's always fun to take another look at BWS's stuff from the 1970s.

I have both books and have no pants on! I believe that should surprise no one. Why is HOS #92 more accepted as the 1st Swampthing though and this book is hardly noticed?

The Swampthing does not wear pants either. Connection?

If for no other reason ,Chamber of Darkness # 4 & House Of Secrets # 92 have great artwork!!!! Grt them both , you won;t be disapointed!!! I kid you not!!! grin.gif

Yep!,....pass the Beer Nuts! thumbsup2.gif

Why is HOS #92 more accepted as the 1st Swampthing though and this book is hardly noticed?

Just a guess but because Swamp Thing was an original character, ok - patterned after earlier things like The Heap - while Conan had been around for decades?

I've got most of overstreet memorized that I find pertinent to my collecting.....obviously not everything, and this from a guy who read a set of encylopedias from A to Z.

HALT! Back up here!

You read a set of encyclopedias from A to Z?

Tell us more!

Did you feel smarter? Seriously, no sarcasm intended. When did you do it, and what motivated you? How long did it take? Which encyclopedia?

Just thought I'd ask....... angel.gif

HALT! Back up here!

You read a set of encyclopedias from A to Z?

Tell us more!

Did you feel smarter? Seriously, no sarcasm intended. When did you do it, and what motivated you? How long did it take? Which encyclopedia?

Just thought I'd ask....... angel.gif

Since you asked so nicely grin.gif

Probably like the majority of folks in this hobby....I love to read. If I ever asked my Mom what something meant she'd reply "go look it up" in an effort to encourage me to think for myself. So....after a few times of this I just decided to go through a complete 20 something volume of encyclopedias. I was around 12 to 14 years old. When I was stumped with the big words, I would pull out the ol' Webster's Dictionary. By the time I finished the "pedias" I'd also decided to read all of Webster's too. Read the Bible from start to finish so many times I've lost count.

I had plenty of time on my hands as it was only me and my Mom. My dad worked out of town monday through friday, and the other siblings had already moved out of the house. Pretty much all I did was play sports and read. Looking back now I laugh at breaking the stereotype and being a jock/nerd.

Did I feel smarter? Sure, I was pretty much full of myself back then. In school I earned the nickname of "Blunt Bernie" because I enjoyed telling off other people with whom I disagreed with, and would do it with a flair of grandiose(Does that sound like anyone you know 27_laughing.gif). Of couse I've since understood that what I was learning was only "book smarts" and not common sense.

I'm now college educated with an engineering degree. But I've learned that the average Joe knows more about practical(and frequently more important) things than me. "Book Smarts" have a place in life, but it is also kind of like having an opinion.....Just because you have one, doesn't mean anything if you are not applying it in a productive and positive way.

I obviously still love to read especially comics(gotta throw the word in somewhere to keep this from being off-topic).

thats agreat life story and well told! getting humbler as you got older...

Cant wait for the TV movie!

cloud9.gif Coming to an Afterschool Special this fall...right after a heartbreaking return of "Fraggle Rock".