• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics #17 - Is this worth it?

22 posts in this topic

Nice to see that Johnson Smith catalog on the back... brings back a lot of memories of wasted time poring over the catalog and wasted money buying some of the junk therein...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Well, this is at least the 3rd time he had listed the book.

No takers for $799 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35751&item=2254953772

No takers for $699 - http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35751&item=2257589241

Hmm. If I could get him close to guide, I'd buy the damn thing. I always love those pre-Batman Detectives (esp. Flessel covers!), and this book has great eye appeal and paper quality for a "Good".

What do you guys think? Should I go for it if I can get him to around $575?

Didn't know you loved those Shield, how many pre 'tec 27's have you owned or read?

Zero. How about you? I've always loved those early 'tec covers since I bought the Gerbers. How many did I say I've owned or read? Are you at home getting high again?

I actually read some in Barry Bauman's bat cave when I was a kid back in Oakland. No, I don't get high Mr. right wing attack dog. But you sound like you've been smoking something funny. You need to get a job with the RNC and put your special talent to work.But all seriousness aside, why would you want to buy one of those early detective comics?

I actually read some in Barry Bauman's bat cave when I was a kid back in Oakland. No, I don't get high Mr. right wing attack dog. But you sound like you've been smoking something funny. You need to get a job with the RNC and put your special talent to work.But all seriousness aside, why would you want to buy one of those early detective comics?

893naughty-thumb.gif Leave my political leaning out of these. Why can't/shouldn't I buy an early Detective again? Why are you coming on here telling me (basically) that I can't enjoy these covers or the books because I've never owned or read one? Appreciating what is out of your normal "realm" of collecting is what collecting is all about, right?

Why NOT buy an early Detective? I'll bet the stories are good, and the cover kicks butt!

Aren't you the one who use to have the slogan about annoying liberals? Oh well as you wish( Mr. dish it out but can't take it). Sure, I think you should buy as many early detectives as you can find.

?? What did I dish out? I was just asking the board their thoughts on the Detective 17. It's your paranoia catching up to you, old man. Re-read this thread, and tell me what I dished out? You're the one, all pumped up from your DEM rally in Boston looking to pick on us poor . Out of the blue you said "Didn't know you loved those Shield, how many pre 'tec 27's have you owned or read? "

What's the difference anyway? I'm sorry your lobotomy wasn't successful, PokeyVince. Get Dr. Freeman back on the phone!

gossip.gifI removed the annoy a liberal sig because I found the better SNL Jack Handey one I'm using now.

Oh quit whining like a girly-man. Was that you that called earlier? My wife said the phone rang but when she answered it all she could hear was the sound of a man weeping on the other end.Whenever I try to call you I get that weird screening message about not accepting calls from Kalifornia.

I'm not sure what history you two have that is behind your exchange, but remember that this is the "warm and friendly" Golden Age Forum where forumites don't attack each other. In any event, as an avid collector of pre-hero Detectives, I can strongly recommend these books to you Shield, especially if you can get them for close to Guide. They almost never sell below Guide.

I'm not sure what history you two have that is behind your exchange, but remember that this is the "warm and friendly" Golden Age Forum where forumites don't attack each other. In any event, as an avid collector of pre-hero Detectives, I can strongly recommend these books to you Shield, especially if you can get them for close to Guide. They almost never sell below Guide.

Oh, I've known Vince for years. It's all in good fun. He razzes me if I stray from purchasing Top-Notch comics; specifically ones with Pokey Oakey in them. He likes those and Senor Banana.

How are the stories in the early Detectives? Good reads? That #17 would be deslabbed to be read immediately!

Why'd you go and tell everyone that I like Senor Banana! It's bad enough that I admit to liking Pokey Oakey! You're the one who like Senor Banana and you know it.Go ahead and buy your pre batman detectives and see if I care, but don't come crying to me when you discover that there's nothing even remotely resembling Senor Banana in them.You'll be crying "I want my banana!" Yes you will.Yes,yes, yes! As far as warm and fuzzy.............

It has stories and art by, among others, Siegel and Schuster, Bob Kane, Gardner Fox, Fred Guardineer and Leo O'Mealia (one of the greatest early artists). The stories are relatively unsophisticated, but that gives them a sense of charm and innocence. Detective 17 would be a classic example of pre-hero DC at its finest and, because of its rarity, you could probably re-sell it without any difficulty.