• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel 52 - or Reboot again, again...

17 posts in this topic

Why not - maybe Harvey will reboot too...

Unlike many of the boardies and some of my fellow journal writers, I enjoy reading current comics. And as my followers know by now, I read a couple of independents and DC.

What many of you don't know, is that I'm not some company snob that won't read anything by Marvel - it's just that Marvel's big selling point to most collectors is continuity, which I really don't care about.

From my perspective as a reader, what Marvel does do better than anyone else is write about two things: martial arts and Asgardian gods. When I read, or am tempted to read Marvel, you can be assured that Shang-Chi, Iron Fist, Thor, The Warriors Three or Stephen Strange is involved (I know Dr. Strange doesn't fit - but I like it).

With all that having been said, I decided to try a single Marvel title with the new reboot, Thor: God of Thunder. I have to say that I am very much enjoying a fresh look at Thor, and also enjoying the writing that is focussing on Thor in three distinct ages of his existence - in the age of vikings, current day, and at the end of days when Thor is the last god of Asgard. A fascinating, threefold storyline is slowly coming together and I am excited to read issue 3 to see where everything is going.

So - I have to say - if you don't read modern books much (or at all), or you wouldn't normally read a Marvel book, bive this first story arc a chance. You may loathe it - but you may very much enjoy it as well.

And in the mean time - Merry Christmas - or for you readers of Thor - Happy Yule.

Happy Hunting

Lee

See more journals by Lee K

I'm a Marvel kid/guy, since the late 70s. But Marvel's direction in the last 5 years or so has really tested my patience with them. Frankly, their lead characters and titles are a mess. I don't recognize anything anymore. It's all a constant re-hash without building any continuity. I mean, how many 'friggin Avengers titles can you have? I liked it when they had one Avengers title. I think the Marvel chaos is why so many more readers have migrated to DC. Yes, they shook up their own titles, but they did it in a very organized fashion in one swift, bold stroke and with a centralized vision. Time for Marvel to wake up.

- it's just that Marvel's big selling point to most collectors is continuity, which I really don't care about.

What continuity?

With Marvel doing so many retcons and stand alone, out of continuity type stories, how can there possibly be any continuity?

- it's just that Marvel's big selling point to most collectors is continuity, which I really don't care about.

What continuity?

With Marvel doing so many retcons and stand alone, out of continuity type stories, how can there possibly be any continuity?

Agreed. Again, the Marvel (comic book) Universe is in a world of chaos. I think it's a case of the Marvel movie franchises setting the comic book agenda -- not the other way around as it should be.

totally agree, marvel is really hurting themselves. Not only with the lack of continuity but with all the restarts and excessive titles, now Uncanny X-Men is not enough, so you add uncanny avengers, and all new x-men to create three x-men titles all out of sync. the other thing is their constant re-booting is getting way out of hand. Volume 5 for most of these titles and most had just been restarted in 2010, now whats the worth going to be on those titles that only ran 20 issues. this is simply a money grab to try and compete with DC but as someone else mentioned DC was much more throrough and organized reboot. My final beef with Marvel is the absolutely ridiculous amount of variants they are doing now. i think there was 18 for uncanny avengers #1. Talk about milking it.

Agreed - they're milking it at Marvel right now. But - I am talking about (what has been so far) a stand-alone read, and a pretty damn good one.

I'm sorry for the lack of a comprehensable transition - I meant that Marvel's big selling point to readers in the 60's & 70's was continuity, but I never bought into that bag. I really like episodic books: Weird War, Strange Adventures (pre Deadman), Marvel Team-Up - because I didn't have regular cash as a young man, so I couldn't always pick up several issues in a row.

Anyhow - yes - variant cover explosion of milking the consumer BS needs to be curtailed.

Fortunately for me - Thor:God of Thunder is worth reading for the read. And may be a good book to buy as a collected edition/graphic novel once the story arc is completed.

Happy Hunting

Lee

I dislike the number one craze. I'll have a review up soon enough for one of those number ones but I like the old Marvel, when they would have editor's in place keeping track of who is where. I thank you for the input about Thor. I picked it up, glanced at it, and put it back down. I might give it a try.

I like Variant covers though, but only when they are for the fans to aspire to get something cool, like the Valiant books in the nineties. Another issue #1 with multiple upon multiple variants is just too much. When AvsX first came out I was thinking of getting everyone in a 9.8 but thought better against it, just too many variants. I would have a better shot at collecting the New Mutants set a second time around.

AVX was almost as bad as uncanny avengers for the variants. I like what they did with new 52, the regular (readers), 1:25 (mild collectors) and 1:200 (for big collectors). I actually have #1 and #2 1:200 for all the new 52 graded 9.4 SS being the lowest and several in 9.8. Also whats up with the rarest variant always being the "sketch" version now? 99% of these look better in color, make those the 1:150 1:200 or whatever. You and the new mutants.

DC story lines are intriguing me. I still opt for the independent Image books...they are smart about pleasing. Has anyone read the Avengers #1 yet?....Lee, got a couple from brandon (one for reading)...seems a new beginning might happen...

Thanks for the heads-up on Thor, read the first two digitally and liked them, now added to my pull list :applause:

Matt - You're welcome. I read both issues again last night and I am still enjoying them. And then I read the letter from the writer in the back of Iss#2 and I am intrigued by his proposed direction. This could be the best Thor read in a while - although I did enjoy the Bill & Kelda love story when they were in Kansas & Latveria.

L

DC story lines are intriguing me. I still opt for the independent Image books...they are smart about pleasing. Has anyone read the Avengers #1 yet?....Lee, got a couple from brandon (one for reading)...seems a new beginning might happen...

I skipped Avengers 1 just because I wasn't pleased with the membership in the team - I'll see if Brandon has any left and peruse it from the rack.

Not as displeased as I am with the proposed team for the new Justice League book though - what kind of editorial person_having_a_hard_time_understanding_my_point decides that Ted Kord needs to stay dead but it is a good idea to resurrect Vibe? Bleeding Vibe? Mister "I can dodge bullets because I break-dance" Vibe? Really? I'm close to vomitting - and I think Justice League is the best team ever - (with the Avengers close behind)...

Lee

has there ever been anyone in comics who has died and NOT been resurected?

While marvel may be sucking in the books department they are creaming DC on the big screen. We have had three great Batman movies from DC and two great superman dating back to the early 80s. Then 4 batman movies, a horrible green lantern, superman returns another stinker. Meanwhile Marvel has cranked out movies that have continuity and were all good, Iron man both, captain america, thor and even the 2nd hulk were all great plus the avengers and more thor/ironman/captain america to come. Whats DC doing? yet another superman, which i hope is decent. DC has tons of other properties and they need to quit messing around and bring them to the screen, like flash, ww, etc.

I too am upset with the #1 craze. As a collector of CGC books for about 3 years, I have done a great deal of research on the titles I collect. I would think Marvel would be proud of a #700 issue. Stating to the word that Marvel has a successful, long running book that maybe great to read. For people to get involved with. I can tell my fellow colectors that if any of these NEW books end again or they go back to the high issue number by adding up Vol 1, Vol 2, etc, I won't be tagging along for the ride.

i can pretty much assure that, they have already done it with Amazing spider-man before. I agree you would think they would be proud of 700 and want it to continue. If the new Superior Spider-man is not peter parker i predict another parker series within 6 months. or just picking back up at 701