• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JC's Silver Emporium: Part 5

20 posts in this topic

I'm looking to sell off some Silver Age books next week, and I'm just posting a few scans to see how you view the various grades. Nothing on the back cover will detract from the overall grade:

ff_80_sm.jpg

Fine Minus.

I've got to say, that out of all the grades offered, this is by far the toughest. What's up?

Hard to grade book.

Looks FVF but that top corner... 893frustrated.gif

Might be a full fine but I wouldn't bet on it. sorry.gif

Fine Minus.

I've got to say, that out of all the grades offered, this is by far the toughest. What's up?

Well, I'm far from a quantitative grader-- others here might count up cover stress lines or whatnot. Me, I do a simple triage:

- Very Good = average used comic found in the LCS bins or on eBay

- Fine = nice book, nicer than average, might be an upgrade for some of my low-grade Silver books

- Very Fine or above = pretty book, an eye-catcher

So the FF 80 presents itself as a "Nice Book - Oops" for the top left hand corner. Hence, Fine Minus. confused-smiley-013.gif

Fine- is brutal.

The corner isn't that bad.

A very presentable book with light edge wear and a corner impact. No major creases, tears or stains.

6.5 IMO.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Hmmm.... 6.5 = Fine+

I said Fine-, which is 5.5, yes?

I'd consider that to be within a normal margin of error. Who knows? If I saw the book live I might well agree... confused-smiley-013.gif

I'd consider that to be within a normal margin of error. Who knows? If I saw the book live I might well agree... confused-smiley-013.gif

My comments were related to the other scores you made, and then compared to this one. No biggie, but you were at least close to what I thought most of the way through, but I thought this one was a tad harsh.

No harm, no foul... was mainly responding to Zipper's "brutal" characterization. grin.gif

Looking forward to the grading contest. I've not spent much time on this part of the boards. Grading by bigger-than-lifesize scans is something of an art, and an art one can't really practice that often on eBay! 27_laughing.gif

Colors look real bright and clean on this one, the right edge seems to have a few chips, 3/4 of the way down creasing that breaks color, the top of the spine has indent creases, also around the top staple. A few ticks going down the spine not that severe IMO, ovarall I would grade this about a 6.0/6.5.

Can't really tell about that corner impact; if it is severe and worse than it appears in this scan, it brings you down to 6.0 FN; but otherwise, I would have put this book in the FN/VF (7.0) to VF- range (7.5) easily

Well.. I am sorry UCLA.. but anything over a 7.0 on this is just too generous.

The color, and gloss look fantastic.. outer edge seems solid enough except for the reading crease near middle of book.

URC, LRC, and LLC all look to be in nice shape.. so it all comes down to how much to take off for the ULC, and Spine wear.

That Mashed upper left is a doozey... not just a crease.. but looks to be a multi creased bang up job that affects the entire comic.

Ouch..did this get dropped?

And the Top Staple around the Marvel Comics Group looks to be a mess also.. hard to see in the scan , but it appears to have crease's thru the "M".. and also thru "comics.".?

Anyhow.. as nice and outstanding as the comic looks, I just cant go over 6.0 , while my heart wants to give it a nod.. since it has alot of good qualities going for it.

My final grade has to be 5.0

Now I see why some sellers on Ebay would list this as...... F.F. #80.. VG/F condition.. looks VF

Z