• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

THE SPIRT: to be a movie !

33 posts in this topic

Variety reports that the film rights to the Will Eisner property "The Spirt" have been purchased by

fiancier Odd Lot Entertainment, which is planning a live-actin feature adaptation. Odd Lot's

Gigi Pritzker and Deborah Del Prete will produce along with Batfilm's Michael Uslan,who is an

exec producer on "Batman Begins" and "Constantine" and a veteran of CrossGen Comics.

Benjamin Meinker and Steve Maier are exec producing.Pic will be an Odd Lot/Batfilm co-

production. F.J. DeSanto and Linda McDonough are co-producers.

A Spirit film, won't that be kinda hard to pull off?

A detective in a mask with no supernatural or super-powered elements will be hard to pull off?

Kinda dull don't you think.

Unless the get a good -script it will be sleeping.gif

A detective in a mask with no supernatural or super-powered elements will be hard to pull off?

has anyone read any Eisner, the master of sequential art, i think it would be a kick.

No, I don't think it's dull at all. It was actually a rhetorical question since the only thing separating The Spirit from any hard boiled detective is the origin story and the mask (and those add to the character.) Hard boiled detective stories are still alive and well in Hollywood (and elsewhere) so a movie like this should be a no-brainer. The concepts involved here are not foreign at all so if they get a good -script (which is a hurdle all films must clear to one degree or another, of course) it has the potential to be very good.

Here's hoping they have the good sense to adapt one of Eisner's stories.

BTW, Brain is this the first post that has any connection with comics you have ever posted?

maybe

Congrats, Brain! You've come so far in just a few short hours. At this rate, before long, you'll be challenging ComicWiz for most words per post. 893applaud-thumb.gif

BTW, Brain is this the first post that has any connection with comics you have ever posted?

maybe

Congrats, Brain! You've come so far in just a few short hours. At this rate, before long, you'll be challenging ComicWiz for most words per post. 893applaud-thumb.gif

just trying to show a little restraint(i shall use no Graemlins before their time)

but if you are gonna do a hard boiled story in film - - why do you need the mask and the origin?? Only reason to do one and call it The Spirit is to trade on the brand. But The Spirit HAS no brand "out there." Also there already was a SPirit film that went straight to video or cable (it was a long time ago.)

I like the Spirit. Dont get me wrong. Im just doubtful it will translate into anything thats entertaining. It was Eisners genius for drawing, irony and especially layouts that made the comics so unique. I suppose Id like to see a series of short capers taken directly from the best Spirit sections....(as opposed to one looong, drawn-out mystery) . but how many other people would?

There is a slight super-powered element. In the -script, The Spirit is exposed to an element meant to leave the citizens of Central City in suspended animation. A side effect of this exposure is that The Spirit has the ability to withstand any beating. I haven't read The Spirit, so I have no idea if that concept is lifted from the comics, or something new for the film.

but if you are gonna do a hard boiled story in film - - why do you need the mask and the origin?? Only reason to do one and call it The Spirit is to trade on the brand. But The Spirit HAS no brand "out there." Also there already was a SPirit film that went straight to video or cable (it was a long time ago.)

I like the Spirit. Dont get me wrong. Im just doubtful it will translate into anything thats entertaining. It was Eisners genius for drawing, irony and especially layouts that made the comics so unique. I suppose Id like to see a series of short capers taken directly from the best Spirit sections....(as opposed to one looong, drawn-out mystery) . but how many other people would?

I think that the "tough but not entirely serious noir" tone of the Spirit stories and the imagination behind them (as manifested in the villains for example, but in the hands of a talented art director) is enough to make it work and have it be worthwhile that it is The Spirit.

Of course, the origin IS pretty cool. As is the fact that he lives in a cemetery (spooky!)

There is a slight super-powered element. In the -script, The Spirit is exposed to an element meant to leave the citizens of Central City in suspended animation. A side effect of this exposure is that The Spirit has the ability to withstand any beating. I haven't read The Spirit, so I have no idea if that concept is lifted from the comics, or something new for the film.

That's extrapolated from the stories. In the comics he doesn't have superpowers, but he can take a Gerry Cooney like beating (and does on several dozen occasions.) It's not because of the exposure to the chemicals. It's just because he's tough. The rest of the origin is probably the same.

Since I know you're not afraid of comics published before 1961, you should immediately hunt down some Spirit stories and read them. The Kitchen Sink reprints are a good place to start.

I think that the "tough but not entirely serious noir" tone of the Spirit stories and the imagination behind them (as manifested in the villains for example, but in the hands of a talented art director) is enough to make it work and have it be worthwhile that it is The Spirit.

Of course, the origin IS pretty cool. As is the fact that he lives in a cemetery (spooky!)

Long as they don't cast Jennifer Garner as Sand Serif, I'm happy! foreheadslap.gif

Hope its a spirited film...(guess it would have to be though, right!?) 27_laughing.gif

I just hope its not a period piece. That would really be a kiss of death. Im also afraid itll try to be a COMEDY and a serious noir thriller. But what the heck - - -go for it! Whats the worst that can happen? Another soso film. Big deal. I wish them good luck.