• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 120 v. X-Men 121

18 posts in this topic

Does anyone know why there are so many more issues under the CGC census for 121 and fewer issues of 120? I'm assuming that because 120 is generally more coveted by collectors, there would've been more submitted for grading. But there are over 1200 graded issues of 121 but less than two-thirds of 120 at just 789. Does anyone know why this might be? Were there just more issues of 121 printed?

120 is a harder book to come by in grade because of the dark cover. 121 has a light or white cover (and more importantly spine), so those books are more likely to grade higher and are therefore submitted more frequently.

121 also features Alpha Flight more prominently on the cover than 120 and 121 is considered to be their first full appearance.

120 is harder book to come by in grade because of the dark cover. 121 has a light or white cover (and more importantly spine), so those books are more likely to grade higher and are therefore submitted more frequently.

121 also features Alpha Flight more prominently on the cover than 120 and 121 is considered to be their first full appearance.

I think you've pretty much summed it up there, Jimbo. (thumbs u

I believe it's like Hulk 180 and 181, Wolverine 1st cameo vs 1st full appearance, but with Alpha Fight.

Actually, I believe that X-Men 120 should be the first appearance of Alpha Flight as they are shown both on the cover and in the issue, only in shadow or partial panels to make the full reveal in 121 that much more important.

But as I've said before (re: Iron Man 55 - Thanos is shown on NINE freaking pages, probably a record for a first-app villain), many "full" appearances show far less of the character(s) and are never debated. Look at ASM 50 - the Kingpin is only featured on a few panels of a single page, yet it's the undisputed "first full appearance" seemingly because it's listed like that in OS.

It pains me that these days, people read OS and CGC labels rather than the actual comics.

What are the criteria for a 1st appearance?

I think the short list woud be:

Dialogue

Full visual, that shows costume/physical attributes

Disclosure of their powers

Community consensus (it seems this one trumps most)

What do you guys think?

First cool cover. :gossip:

Dialogue

What do you guys think?

It's whatever whomever decides to pull out of their arse at the moment. Hulk #180 is the first appearance of Wolverine. X-Men #120 is the first appearance of Alpha Flight. Just like Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #134 is the first appearance of Darksied.

Dialogue

What do you guys think?

It's whatever whomever decides to pull out of their arse at the moment. Hulk #180 is the first appearance of Wolverine. X-Men #120 is the first appearance of Alpha Flight. Just like Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen #134 is the first appearance of Darksied.

I concur. It means you can get the 1st appearance of Wolverine Much much cheaper than his 2nd.

Dialogue

What do you guys think?

I concur. It means you can get the 1st appearance of Wolverine Much much cheaper than his 2nd.

Sure, but more importantly, it also means you'll have to sell the first appearance of Wolverine for less than his second.

Dialogue

What do you guys think?

Sure, but more importantly, it also means you'll have to sell the first appearance of Wolverine for less than his second.

So now is the time to buy not sell...

Dialogue

What do you guys think?

Not everything is about the flip.

Dialogue

What do you guys think?

Wether you sell it ten minutes after you bought it, or fifty years, doesnt change the facts.

Dialogue

What do you guys think?

First cool cover. :gossip:

Word.

Dialogue

What do you guys think?

Wether you sell it ten minutes after you bought it, or fifty years, doesnt change the facts.

Don't ever sell it? (shrug)