• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice needed: Which Trivia prize to take?

18 posts in this topic

OK... I finally won this and now I'm a bit perplexed as to which to take...

If I take the Standard Submission, I'd most likely submit one of the following books:

1) Fantastic Four #60 Newsstand Price Variant (and toss it on eBay to provide entertainment for my fellow forumites acclaim.gif.... 27_laughing.gif)... I think it is a 9.4 or so...

2) A Silver/Bronze Age book that would garner at least a 9.4 (I'll have to go over my books and see which the precise candidate would be, but I think something among the following books have a good shot:

Avengers : 83, 142, 147-149, 152-156, 158-159, 162, 170-177, 194-200

Captain America: 172-173

Fantastic Four: 97, 133, 140, 159, 166, 168, 170-173, 175, 177, 181-187, 190-192, 194-199

3) A VF-ish Master of Kung Fu #39 30-cent variant

Or should I go for the grading guide (may be obvious in hind-sight after getting back my CGC submission sorry.gif)...

Help?

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Don't waste the free standard submission on a modern; use it on one of those silvers instead.

That's my initial thought, too. I'll have to look through my books to see if the early stuff truly is worthy.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Some people may scoff, but unless you have an absolutely killer NM or higher Silver Age book, then go for the grading guide. I've won both and I actually read and used the GG, while the Cert sits in my desk.

Some people may scoff, but unless you have an absolutely killer NM or higher Silver Age book, then go for the grading guide. I've won both and I actually read and used the GG, while the Cert sits in my desk.

Well sure you won both Joe,...you had 5 shills entering every week,...the odds were with you....

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

OK, you've convinced me.

I'm going to have to go through all of my comics!

cloud9.gif

Not tonight, honey! I really need to find a perfect 10!

flamed.gif

foreheadslap.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea after all...

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

take the one that smells like skunk gossip.gifblush.gif

My dad used to tell me...

"If it smells like fish, it's a dish."

"If it smells like cologne, leave it alone."

devil.gif

On another note, how the 893censored-thumb.gif did Darth "Mr Modern" Diesel ever get the answer to that question?

Let's hear a good explanation, shall we? stooges.gif

actually I got it wrong at first with Western Comics 1 before I put in leave it to Binky; here's the process:

yahoo search for sensation comics plus 74; I find out what month it came out.

I guessed that it was either promoting a #1 comic that came out same month or for the next month as DC had those stupid two month spanning BS releases or spring/winter/ summer like DElls 893frustrated.gif

So I couldn't decide and since I knew I'd get it wrong anyway I put both Binky 1 and Western 1...

The internet...levels the playing field thumbsup2.gif

On another note, how the 893censored-thumb.gif did Darth "Mr Modern" Diesel ever get the answer to that question?

Let's hear a good explanation, shall we? stooges.gif

actually I got it wrong at first with Western Comics 1 before I put in leave it to Binky; here's the process:

yahoo search for sensation comics plus 74; I find out what month it came out.

I guessed that it was either promoting a #1 comic that came out same month or for the next month as DC had those stupid two month spanning BS releases or spring/winter/ summer like DElls 893frustrated.gif

So I couldn't decide and since I knew I'd get it wrong anyway I put both Binky 1 and Western 1...

The internet...levels the playing field thumbsup2.gif

Actually Mike's DC page was much faster in getting the answer.

553994-contest.jpg

553994-contest.jpg.c7b6d6ad1bc92b842c61d38857c3ca19.jpg