• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
39 39

11,732 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2021 at 4:57 PM, PeterPark said:

Well that didn't last long...

Buyer will probably try to remove the restoration...

Yeah, I saw that one earlier too. Removing it will probably drop it to the same grade as the one I sold but the blue label would definitely bump the price up some.

As a side note, my buyer made payment today as promised so I’ll be sending it out later.

On 7/27/2021 at 3:12 AM, Microchip said:

If you had written a few, I'd ask if you were George RR Martin (worship)

I had quite a few letters published in a variety of books in the seventies. I don't remember them all but thanks to indexers on the internet they come to light now and then and I can usually dive into the comic closet and find them.

On 7/27/2021 at 2:20 PM, Wolverinex said:

Obviously, I know the book is very rare. So when I said everywhere I meant there used to be at least three or four copies on eBay at all times. Now you  only see an authentic copy come for sale every few months... only 2000 printed... who knows how many survived. 

If I remember correctly, there are around 1600 in circulation while Dave Sim himself kept the remaining copies in the better condition from the printer for himself. Legend has it that he sells one every now and then but not often.

On 7/27/2021 at 11:53 AM, Wolverinex said:

Wow that was a steal.  6.0 for 1200...

Funny thing is an authentic copy with his signature could end up in a qualified green label and scare a potential buyer away

On 7/28/2021 at 3:17 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I had quite a few letters published in a variety of books in the seventies. I don't remember them all but thanks to indexers on the internet they come to light now and then and I can usually dive into the comic closet and find them.

It'd be great to make the connection, and see them all these years later.   It's a valuable piece of history.     

After the passing of Stan, all the iconic greats of the medium have left us.   This is hobby is nothing, if it's not about history, and it's own history of the people who made it.    

https://retromash.com/2017/03/03/that-time-when-a-teenage-paul-gambaccini-and-george-r-r-martin-appeared-in-the-fantastic-four/

Screen Shot 2021-07-28 at 9.21.25 am.png