• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
39 39

11,732 posts in this topic

Do newspapers count? :insane:

His first public app. in print would be the front page of the Independent Journal.

Boba Fett was first introduced at the San Anselmo's Country Fair parade on September 24, 1978.

Boba-Fett-Costume-First-Prototype-San-Anselmo-Parade-01.jpg

Edited by Rip

You can say that Marvel Preview 7 is not a comic or not in comic book format but it contains sequential art stories featuring characters from comic book universes like Marvel.

Listen, if it was produced and published by Marvel's MAGAZINE department, distributed through traditional MAGAZINE channels, and sold through MAGAZINE shops and retailers, then it's a MAGAZINE, no matter what's inside.

That was the entire purpose of the Marvel Magazine line - to infiltrate traditional MAGAZINE distribution and retail channels to get the higher-end buyers and advertising.

It is a magazine that is also a first appearance in the comic universe. How that translates into importance and price is up to the market.

Conan (among others) first appearance is in a pulp and is highly collectible. No one can argue that comics have a greater fan base and command higher values than pretty much all other print matter. And the Conan pulp enjoys its value and popularity due in a huge way to comic collectors (who are highly influenced by TV/Movie/Gaming media) much moreso than the stand along pulp collector (does that even exist).

Along with that 1978 photo of Boba Fett. Art prelims, posters, new articles, even the infamous promotional comic sales ads predate comic 1st appearances.

Ed

It is a magazine that is also a first appearance in the comic universe. How that translates into importance and price is up to the market.

Exactly. No one is saying Marvel Magazine isn't collectible, only that it's not his first comic book appearance.

I know, but this does not change the fact they are comics nonetheless.

But they are not comic books, they are magazines, created and published by the magazine department, distributed through magazine distribution and sold in places where traditional magazines were sold.

That was their entire purpose, to get Marvel Magazines into Magazine shops, and they are no different than Fangoria.

I agree with everything you said except the last line about being like Fangoria. Unlike Fangoria, these magazines don't have text and photos other than rare exceptions. They are filled with comic stories. They are comic magazines. Distinct from traditional comic books in size. The other key distinction is that in my humble opinion, they are better both in story and art. These works were not censored by the comic code. As a result, the storytelling is generally much better, being black and white, the art is much more detailed because the fine lines are not washed out by the coloring process, and the larger covers provided an excellent medium for painted covers. I am particularly fond of the Warren magazines but I like the Marvel's too. I've preferred magazines of this era for a long time. I agree that they are not comic books, they are what comic books aspired to be :preach:

Exactly. No one is saying Marvel Magazine isn't collectible, only that it's not his first comic book appearance.

So we agree. It's not his first comic book appearance, it's his first appearance.

So we agree. It's not his first comic book appearance, it's his first appearance.

No since we're talking about an adapted character, his first print appearance would be in preview magazine or newspaper, so it's his "First drawn appearance in magazine form".

You know, I believe The Marvel magazine is a reprint also. I believe the B/W paperback version came out before anything. And there were various changes made throughout the versions from B/W to color digest to magazine, to comic book.

I think I still have a copy somewhere.

Yoda was redrawn and some colors were redone between the Digest printings, the magazine and then the comic.

There was also the newspaper strip in the NY Times of Boba Fett that came out, I think slightly after the movie.

Also see here.

http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=23845

Edited by Rip

Does anyone have the magazine to compere. For example here is a purple Yoda in the color digest version. I believe by the time it got to the magazine they had changed some the artwork.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Marvel-Comics-Version-The-Empire-Strikes-Back-Paperback-Book-Purple-Yoda-/121173793502?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item1c36855ade

(EDIT Yep, here is what someone says on Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Strikes-Marvel-Comics-Version/dp/0960414606/ref=pd_sim_b_1/182-4879068-7267952

"There are also many collectors who seek out THIS original release of the Empire Strikes Back adaption, for a rather unique variation. The 1st print of this comic book was released BEFORE the film was finished! The character of Yoda had been kept under tight wraps by Lucasfilm, and therefore only early production sketches had been seen by the artists. Those sketches depicted a VERY different looking Yoda, and that's the Yoda you will see in the 1st edition of this comic. In fact, it's the ONLY Marvel adaption of Empire that has the Yoda variant (the regular Marvel run and the magazine version did NOT have the Yoda variant).

Later, reprint editions of this paperback corrected the artwork. Serious collectors will certainly want a 1st edition in their collection!"

Edited by Rip

No since we're talking about an adapted character, his first print appearance would be in preview magazine or newspaper, so it's his "First drawn appearance in magazine form".

sorry,sorry I was talking about Rocket Raccoon not Boba

Does anyone have the magazine to compere. For example here is a purple Yoda in the color digest version. I believe by the time it got to the magazine they had changed some the artwork.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Marvel-Comics-Version-The-Empire-Strikes-Back-Paperback-Book-Purple-Yoda-/121173793502?pt=US_Fiction_Books&hash=item1c36855ade

http://www.amazon.com/Empire-Strikes-Marvel-Comics-Version/dp/0960414606/ref=pd_sim_b_1/182-4879068-7267952

"There are also many collectors who seek out THIS original release of the Empire Strikes Back adaption, for a rather unique variation. The 1st print of this comic book was released BEFORE the film was finished! The character of Yoda had been kept under tight wraps by Lucasfilm, and therefore only early production sketches had been seen by the artists. Those sketches depicted a VERY different looking Yoda, and that's the Yoda you will see in the 1st edition of this comic. In fact, it's the ONLY Marvel adaption of Empire that has the Yoda variant (the regular Marvel run and the magazine version did NOT have the Yoda variant).

Later, reprint editions of this paperback corrected the artwork. Serious collectors will certainly want a 1st edition in their collection!"

487299_10200159173215840_1793488143_n_zps789bcda8.jpg

You can say that Marvel Preview 7 is not a comic or not in comic book format but it contains sequential art stories featuring characters from comic book universes like Marvel.

Listen, if it was produced and published by Marvel's MAGAZINE department, distributed through traditional MAGAZINE channels, and sold through MAGAZINE shops and retailers, then it's a MAGAZINE, no matter what's inside.

That was the entire purpose of the Marvel Magazine line - to infiltrate traditional MAGAZINE distribution and retail channels to get the higher-end buyers and advertising.

Uh, what about Man-Thing's 1st App in Savage Tales #1? hm

I'd love to find a later printing. I've never seen one. All the copies I have of this ESB paperback are first printings and show the proto-Yoda. Do reprint editions of this paperback even exist?

1st appearance, yes. 1st comic book appearance, no.

Exactly, and since Man-Thing is not an adapted character, it makes things much simpler.

That's not what the market thinks though. Admittedly, every story in Savage Tales #1 is a triumph in its own right, but it's still billed as the 1st app of Man-Thing (regardless of what you and Vince think) :grin: