• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze age comics that are heating up on eBay...
38 38

11,720 posts in this topic

Just now, jcjames said:

Question: If there's in significant internal defect on a 9.4 book that would clearly prevent it from being a 9.6 or 9.8, but otherwise the book LOOKS superficially like a terrific 9.6/9.8 book just by looking at the slab, would it be a sticker-candidate? IOW, do they just look at the front and back cover through the slab and grade the grade that way?

I assume so. I kind of get it for super expensive books people are buying on line. Wouldn't you like to know if it has really nice colors, centering, blah blah that might not be so clear in a scan, and the colors part, CGC doesn't seem to care about. OTOH, those highend books like Action 1, etc...they're charging $3,000 to take a look at the book after CGC has already done all the hard work. That's hilarious.

19 minutes ago, the blob said:

I assume so. I kind of get it for super expensive books people are buying on line. Wouldn't you like to know if it has really nice colors, centering, blah blah that might not be so clear in a scan, and the colors part, CGC doesn't seem to care about. OTOH, those highend books like Action 1, etc...they're charging $3,000 to take a look at the book after CGC has already done all the hard work. That's hilarious.

I'll do it for half that.

:grin:

37 minutes ago, jcjames said:

Question: If there's in significant internal defect on a 9.4 book that would clearly prevent it from being a 9.6 or 9.8, but otherwise the book LOOKS superficially like a terrific 9.6/9.8 book just by looking at the slab, would it be a sticker-candidate? IOW, do they just look at the front and back cover through the slab and grade the grade that way?

Nope, they have a stash of these.

xray_specs.jpg

The sticker thing comes from the coin world. The CAC sticker. I guess it's an accepted part of the slabbed coin hobby. Somebody figured it would work with slabbed comics. Paging RMA for more insight...?

I thought in coins they had a star designation on the grade label which indicated a coin with exceptional qualities for the grade. I think it actually was RMA that suggested CGC adopt this as well. They didn't (or haven't yet) and so someone else has picked up the baton, but. again, it's a very flawed, incomplete service they offer. 

On 3/22/2018 at 1:28 PM, jcjames said:

Sounds like sex with a condom . . . just sayin' :grin:

Edited by divad

On 3/22/2018 at 3:08 PM, MisterX said:

The sticker thing comes from the coin world. The CAC sticker. I guess it's an accepted part of the slabbed coin hobby. Somebody figured it would work with slabbed comics. Paging RMA for more insight...?

What people won't throw their money at. :facepalm:

On 3/22/2018 at 3:13 PM, Martin Sinescu said:

I think it actually was RMA that suggested CGC adopt this as well. They didn't (or haven't yet) and so someone else has picked up the baton, but. again, it's a very flawed, incomplete service they offer. 

'Voldemort' grading uses a check mark on their label if the slabbed comic appears higher than the technical unrestored 2c grade. Voldemort has been doing this for more than 2 years.

3 hours ago, kimik said:

It is nice to see that picking up small stacks of #194 and #265 over the past few years will finally pay off thanks to the movie speculation. lol 

J. Scott Campbell's obsession with Black Cat certainly hasn't hurt ASM 194 either.  ;)

-J.

5 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

J. Scott Campbell's obsession with Black Cat certainly hasn't hurt ASM 194 either.  ;)

-J.

Excuse me, IDs are required to post here. :sumo:

lol

15 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

-J.

He definitely has a nice touch with Black Cat covers. (thumbsu

On 4/2/2018 at 4:15 PM, kimik said:

It is nice to see that picking up small stacks of #194 and #265 over the past few years will finally pay off thanks to the movie speculation. lol 

194 has been expensive for a while though?