• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guess the price - Batman #1

76 posts in this topic

I was half asleep when I first heard this was going to be up for auction and guessed $500k.

I'm going to guess $350k - $500k. the book really seems to have nice eye appeal from the scan.

27_laughing.gif "nice eye appeal" he says. That's like saying that Asia Carrera has "nice eye appeal." You just got nominated for "Understatement of the Year." grin.gif

Well, it seems that this book has really stepped up in the world. This is the copy that was graded VF- at the 1994 Christies auction. If memory serves, it sold for $28,000

It is a very nice copy.

Steve;

Can you confirm what Sean is saying in his post. I have also heard that all the known pedigree copies of Bat #1 has had some type of work done to them. This is one of the reasons why the OS copy of Bat #1 went for so much money during the Diamond Gallery opening back in '95.

Thanks for your expert input in this thread.

This is a very tough book in high grade - much tougher than Cap #1 (even though it's a very common book, kind of like the situation with Superman #1).

Batman 1 is definitely comes up more than Cap 1. But Batman's yellow cover always seems to attract dirt like a magnet. It also seems like over 50% of them have had restoration done to them.

If you think it's really the best in existence, then I guess it becomes a much closer call although I still lean towards Cap #1, because it's the first Cap, whereas this is "merely" the first Batman in his own book.

1st Joker and Catwoman have got to count for something thumbsup2.gif

As does the fact that this title is STILL ongoing.

I always wondered how much they really add to the value of the book. Superman 1 is worth a TON even without any 1st appearances. And superhero wise Batman is probably #2. I wouldn't be surprisd if Joker had appeared in Tec 40 like he was supposed to and Catwoman in any other issue if those books wouldn't be worth a ton more while Batman 1's price would hardly be affected.

I was half asleep when I first heard this was going to be up for auction and guessed $500k.

I'm going to guess $350k - $500k. the book really seems to have nice eye appeal from the scan.

27_laughing.gif "nice eye appeal" he says. That's like saying that Asia Carrera has "nice eye appeal." You just got nominated for "Understatement of the Year." grin.gif

No, the Flash 1 that Steve/Comgeek posted in another thread has "nice eye appeal". insane.gif

YOU HAVE TO STARE OPEN MOUTHED AT THIS BOOK , NO IDEA OF VALUE IT'S WAY OUT OF MY LEAGUE .

JUST LOOKING AT THE BOOK MAKES YOU FEEL LIKE INDIANA JONES , IT'S A REAL RELIC AND A PIECE OF HISTORY .

It belongs in a museum. That means I'll have to steal it just like Indy would... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Well Comiclink has scooped everyone by annoucing they will have a 9.0 Batman #1 available soon.

Anyone want to guess the price on this baby?

This is certainly one of the best books that has been publicly available

since CGC started. I think it is much better than the Mile High More Fun #s 52 & 53, or Captain America #1, or even the Allentown Detective #38.

Just a great book

bat1.jpg

PRETTY BOOK! I WANT ONE !!!! cloud9.gif I'll arm-wrestle you for it! sumo.gif

Well Comiclink has scooped everyone by annoucing they will have a 9.0 Batman #1 available soon.

Anyone want to guess the price on this baby?

This is certainly one of the best books that has been publicly available

since CGC started. I think it is much better than the Mile High More Fun #s 52 & 53, or Captain America #1, or even the Allentown Detective #38.

Just a great book

bat1.jpg

Pencil writing? popcorn.gif

Well, it seems that this book has really stepped up in the world. This is the copy that was graded VF- at the 1994 Christies auction. If memory serves, it sold for $28,000

It is a very nice copy.

First off, this is not a "Flame War" response, just an observation: Yesturday you started a thread about a Justice League of America #1 CGC 9.2, asking if we would pay the amount on the book as listed on Comiclink. Today you comment on the Batman #1 as originally graded VF- listed on Comiclink too. This one is graded CGC 9.0, (if this IS the same book) with no noticeable "pencil writing". Curious,....

popcorn.gif