• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I Think This ebay seller is dead wrong!

179 posts in this topic

"If you are not satisfied, please return the book. Once I receive it I will credit you a refund. You can send it to CGC for $11 for a reholder. You are buying the book not the holder."

What a lame thing for the seller to say. He is refusing to take responsibility for the fact that he did not disclose the scratches on the slab. He's the one in the wrong. And yeah, people have legitimate reasons to want to know in advance whether the holder is in decent shape, rather than finding out after they've purchased and received the item.

It's not lame if that's his belief.

Nope, it's still lame. There's no "belief" exemption. The reason it's still lame is because it is false. The buyer is buying the book and the holder. That's the deal being made.

Of course, we can't see the listing or the scratch, so there's no telling how big an issue this is. If it is a very tiny scratch then I have less sympathy for the buyer.

"If you are not satisfied, please return the book. Once I receive it I will credit you a refund. You can send it to CGC for $11 for a reholder. You are buying the book not the holder."

What a lame thing for the seller to say. He is refusing to take responsibility for the fact that he did not disclose the scratches on the slab. He's the one in the wrong. And yeah, people have legitimate reasons to want to know in advance whether the holder is in decent shape, rather than finding out after they've purchased and received the item.

People say that around here all the time. It's like the mantra of half us boardies. And he's not refusing to take responsibility. Half of his short message is offering a refund. :shrug:

Yes, he is offering a refund, but he is still refusing to take responsibility for his lack of disclosure.

People here say that as part of their mantra but it is not in the context of a financial transaction in which disclosure of what is being purchased is essential.

People say that around here all the time. It's like the mantra of half us boardies. And he's not refusing to take responsibility. Half of his short message is offering a refund. :shrug:

Yes, he is offering a refund, but he is still refusing to take responsibility for his lack of disclosure.

People here say that as part of their mantra but it is not in the context of a financial transaction in which disclosure of what is being purchased is essential.

Yep, every time they say it, it's in reference to a transaction. That's what the whole "buy" part of it is about.

Agreed on both. Good god, it's a freaking plastic case.

It's a plastic case, but that also happens to be the way some people like to display their comic. If the scratches are significant then it does affect that display, and entails the buyer having to take additional steps such as reholdering. That's something the buyer should know upfront, not after the transaction.

It's not lame if that's his belief.

Nope, it's still lame. There's no "belief" exemption. The reason it's still lame is because it is completely, utterly FALSE. The buyer is buying the book AND the holder. That's the deal that was made when the transaction was commenced.

Nope, it's not lame. If I receive a slab with a scratch on I couldn't give a dog's because ultimately it will be cracked out and the plastic bits will go in the bin. I bought the book, I don't care about the slab. Many other people feel exactly the same.

Agreed on both. Good god, it's a freaking plastic case.

It's a plastic case, but that also happens to be the way some people like to display their comic. If the scratches are significant then it does affect that display, and entails the buyer having to take additional steps such as reholdering. That's something the buyer should know upfront, not after the transaction.

I don't recall, does the slab offer any kind of UV protection?

Even if I didn't think that was silly, I'd still think this thread was. The guy offered a full refund, and themoe posts "I Thing This ebay seller is dead wrong!" :screwy:

Threads like these are becoming his MO (or his MOE, if you will nyuk, nyuk) :P

Yep, every time they say it, it's in reference to a transaction. That's what the whole "buy" part of it is about.

Usually when I've heard it on the boards, it has been in reference to the grade. "Buy the book not the grade." That's more a statement about collecting attitude/philosophy than about an approach to questions of disclosure regarding slab condition.

One thing a seller should never underestimate is how anal a potential buyer may be about the presentation of the book/slab. Some people here hyperventilate if the top label comes off their slab. :ohnoez:

And buy bags to put their slabs in.

Nope, it's not lame. If I receive a slab with a scratch on I couldn't give a dog's because ultimately it will be cracked out and the plastic bits will go in the bin. I bought the book, I don't care about the slab. Many other people feel exactly the same.

It's still lame because not everybody buys and cracks like you do. Unless the seller is completely new to the hobby, he knows that. And it's lame because it's false: The buyer is buying everything that is advertised, which is the book and the holder. Therefore the buyer deserves to know details pertinent to the transaction.

Just to be clear, if there is a scratch on a CGC Case it hurt's the value?

It affects what a bidder might be willing to bid, based on how much he cares about presentation and how much time/effort/cost he is willing to put forth to reholder the comic.

Agreed. I put a pretty significant decrease in value if I have to reholder a comic. The turnaround rates and shipping costs are atrocious at CGC. I'm not interested in buying a slabbed book, then sending it out again at a cost of $20+ shipping (both ways) and having it out of my collection for half a year - even if the seller offers some pittance for taking away his problem.

I buy slabbed books because I want them immediately. If I didn't care about going 6 months without a book, I'd buy it raw and submit for the grading myself. Books worth less than $100 with damaged cases are probably worth more cracked out and resold as raws.

Even if I didn't think that was silly, I'd still think this thread was. The guy offered a full refund, and themoe posts "I Thing This ebay seller is dead wrong!" :screwy:

It's great the buyer offered the refund. No argument here. It's not worth the buyer getting too worked up about. But he still has a right to vent for the time/shipping wasted, and the rudeness/lameness of the seller. Bottom line: You sell something, you disclose basic details about it that potentially affect the buyer's decision of how much to pay. Of course, like everybody here has said, we really need to see photos of the scratch to know if the buyer has a legitimate gripe (giant Freddy Kruger scratch) or is being OCD. Myself, I've purchased slabbed comics and had them arrive with severely cracked cases, and I bought them with the intention of keeping them slabbed (usually I had lower-grade copies or reprints to read). So I wanted the slabs to be in reasonable condition, and the fact that they weren't was irritating.

It's still lame because not everybody buys and cracks like you do. Unless the seller is completely new to the hobby, he knows that. And it's lame because it's false: The buyer is buying everything that is advertised, which is the book and the holder. Therefore the buyer deserves to know details pertinent to the transaction.

So the listing was lame for not mentioning the scratch, not his comment? I can agree with that.