• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is their 9.4 really a 9.4?

29 posts in this topic

urghhh....I need to write English better. I was implying if you know how to grade, you can determine from whatever scans the sellers have and determine if any books met the advertised grade of 9.4.

Bob Storm has a ton of nice high grade books on his website and he is very tight grader. I bought a few books from him and I can't recall ever been disappointed. That being said, I only buy the books that MET MY STANDARDS. I have a good idea what CGC's grading standards for 9.4 are but I don't necessarily agree with some of them. For example, I can show you a ton of example of 9.4 slabs with a 1/4" corner crease. I can't stand that flaw and I try to avoid raw or 9.4 slab with that flaw.

A dealer is by no mean wrong by grading a book with that flaw as a 9.4 but will you be happy with that book? If you don't care because that is within CGC's standards for a 9.4, then go to town.

....and that is the long winded version of what I was trying to say :roflmao:

Ah. More words better. But echoing another poster's post: scans can be unreliable. That's why boardie (thumbs u is so valuable.

Unqualified yes to both.

I've bought from Greg Reece and Brent multiple times (both online and in person) and found their grading tight and customer service solid.

Wish I had the funds to give each of them more business because they deserve to be better known relative to the bigger auction outlets.

Unqualified yes to both.

I've bought from Greg Reece and Brent multiple times (both online and in person) and found their grading tight and customer service solid.

Wish I had the funds to give each of them more business because they deserve to be better known relative to the bigger auction outlets.

Great, Gatsby. (couldn't resist)

CGC has been so inconsistent over the last little while that if you are looking for a CGC 9.4 you need to buy a CGC 9.4 as some raw books could conceivably be one grade or the next depending on when they are submitted.

Having said that, there are some dealers out there that might be considered tight graders. I think Greg Reece and Brent Moeshlin can be considered in that group.

CGC has been so inconsistent over the last little while that if you are looking for a CGC 9.4 you need to buy a CGC 9.4 as some raw books could conceivably be one grade or the next depending on when they are submitted.

Having said that, there are some dealers out there that might be considered tight graders. I think Greg Reece and Brent Moeshlin can be considered in that group.

Thanks - basically all I was asking. I've been in this game long enough to know about the variances.

My 2c is that Quality Comix (Brent) and Greg Reese are two dealers with sound reputations. Buy the book, if you don't like it, return it. I have dealth with both and have always had a good experience.

yes you can buy 9.4's on comicconnect and return if not satisfied...

Some of the scans on comicconnect really are 9.4-9.6-9.8s and about half are not close.

I dont think you have to pay full price.

wwcomics also has good examples of what raw 9.4's should look like.

there is no substitute from sending in a few hundred high grade books and seeing the range from 9.0-9.8 though