• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comiclink Batmans

55 posts in this topic

How can you tell if the reserve has been met on the Batman auctions?

As for the #1, keep in mind that 285K is just the asking price. A bid for half that could be entered. I don't think Steve would accept it, but I'd also be surprised if he held firm at 285K.

boy, there cant be all that many candidates at that price range, can there?

I think this is a book better sold personally than on Comiclink....

Even the 2 SA DCs sold off the link just by an announcement, not up for sale sitting all lonely like a pretty girl never asked to dance at a scholl dance...

I don't know, but it seems to me that overpricing like this could make the hobby look really bad, and send the prices of many key books spiralling downwards. If new collectors/investors/speculators see the same book sitting unclaimed at a lofty price for eons, what will newcomers to the hobby with big dough make of comic collecting? I don't think we can expect a serious influx of big money in GA when everyone can see (plain as day, and on the internet!) that the key books are sitting on the shelf gathering dust.

JP the Mint has had super high-grade books gathering dust for years.

Has stopped other books from reaching record highs!

Aman, I agree. A personal, off-the-net sale doesn't let the whole world watch how long a book going for hundreds of thousands went unclaimed, and what the nature of the bargaining process was, etc. I gather that some of you think this book is worth the asking price (I'd put it somewhere around an even 200k myself, if I had the money for such a thing!), but if the book sits for a long time, the investor that finally purchases might seem more like a dope or an eccentric to the public at large than a shrewd buyer. It's all image , I know, but it just seems to me that if mega-expensive books that are slow to move were sold a little more discreetly, it would be healthier for the hobby overall.

Sfilosa,

Yep, I've definitely seen the same books on JP's for a looong time. The PGCmint makes me nervous too. All those high-grade Adventure Comics and More Funs, and only the very occasional sale!

Old comics in uber-high grade are extremely valuable, but they ain't priceless (at least not yet). It seems to me that the only way a comic increases in value, really increases, is when it changes hands with some degree of frequency, and with each exchange the price --we hope--continues to rise. What good does pricing yourself out of the market do for any dealer in this business?

I guess most dealers are anxiously awaiting the day a mythical Japanese businessman carrying suitcases of cash walks through the front door. Have the dealers been reading too many comics? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How can you tell if the reserve has been met on the Batman auctions?

Click on the link for the book. At the bottom of the picture, where you can enter a bid, it says if the reserve is met.

Cool. Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Old comics in uber-high grade are extremely valuable, but they ain't priceless (at least not yet). It seems to me that the only way a comic increases in value, really increases, is when it changes hands with some degree of frequency, and with each exchange the price --we hope--continues to rise. What good does pricing yourself out of the market do for any dealer in this business?

I don't think comics have to change hands to increase in value (especially in very high grade).

893whatthe.gif

I have seen many books sit on Comiclink or dealers websites for over a year and then get sold at or near full value. Basically, other surrounding issues, or lower graded copies commanded higher prices therefore increasing the worth of the higher graded copy.

Also, especially with ComicLink (or now PedigreeComics), it's very easy to put a book up for sale, that the SELLER only wants to sell if they get a GREAT PRICE.

Lastly, remember that dealers basically price their books according to how easy AND for how much they could obtain another copy.

I agree that I don't think a GA comic has to change hands to increase in price and I also agree that some dealers have sold a high grade GA after a year wait for almost full price. While I agree with the foregoing, I have seen waaaay to many uber high grade GA books languishing for years on dealers websites with no sale. To make matters even worse I have seen some of these same dealers continuing to raise the price on the book year after year even when the book has been sitting for a couple of years. Hopefully for those books and those dealers the mythical Japanese businessman exists! sign-rantpost.gif

In the other thread, when some board members were guessing that the Bat #1 would be priced in the 500K range, Steve made it quite clear that he was pricing the book to sell. I've only talked to Steve a few times(very nice guy, by the way), but I certainly wouldn't compare him to Mark Wilson's PGCMint. Mark seems content to price his books high and let them sit until the market catches up to his pricing(which is fine, if he can afford to do that). I think Steve, on the other hand, wants to move these books.

As I said before, the 285K asking price is akin to a BIN on eBay. The book will not necessarily sell for that price. No one but Steve knows what he would do if someone put in a bid of 200K on the Batman #1(or 225K, or 250K...).

Sfilosa,

Yep, I've definitely seen the same books on JP's for a looong time. The PGCmint makes me nervous too. All those high-grade Adventure Comics and More Funs, and only the very occasional sale!

I guess most dealers are anxiously awaiting the day a mythical Japanese businessman carrying suitcases of cash walks through the front door. Have the dealers been reading too many comics? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I promise that if I win this weekend's lottery I will scoop up most of those Cage Marvel Mystery copies faster than you can say sold. There are lots of people out there who have loads of money but it amazes me how few are actually comic collectors.

Actually in my last post I did not really have Steve L. in mind. My thoughts were

concerning other large dealers(Yes PGC Mint included) who maintain current inventory sites on their websites.In regards to the Comic Link Bat auctions it is going to be interesting to see just how many of these auctions meet reserve.

Does anyone seriously think that the Batman #1 will sell for anywhere near the ballpark of 285 G's? I think it's going to stay unsold for a long time.

I don't know either, but a CGC 9.0 OW/W with only Slight(P) - I think the cover was cleaned and pressed and a very small spine split glued - went on Mastronet for around $15K last year. That this book would command 19 times that book seems bizarre, and almost certainly unsustainable over the long term. But whether the unrestored part of the GA market will move towards the (slightly) resotored part of the market or vice versa is anyone's guess.

I don't know either, but a CGC 9.0 OW/W with only Slight(P) - I think the cover was cleaned and pressed and a very small spine split glued - went on Mastronet for around $15K last year. That this book would command 19 times that book seems bizarre, and almost certainly unsustainable over the long term. But whether the unrestored part of the GA market will move towards the (slightly) resotored part of the market or vice versa is anyone's guess.

I think the problem there is that the prices for restored books have cratered over the past few years. Unrestored VFs have gone in the $60,000 range.

Does anyone seriously think that the Batman #1 will sell for anywhere near the ballpark of 285 G's? I think it's going to stay unsold for a long time.

Filter bought that if I am not mistaken - great pick up! 893applaud-thumb.gif

New to the boards I was reading this thread with interest. I'm certainly interested in the comic link batmans but I'm not sure they are worth bidding on because the reserves are likely to be so high.

The nice 9.4 #55 was briefly listed under the for sale section for $6500. I'm assuming this is now the reserve. I believe PGC Mint sold issues #24 and #50 in CGC 9.4 for $5500 and $4750 earlier this summer so $6500 for #55 seems pretty steep.

From what I've seen few nice books sell by auction at ComicLink. Usually the reserves are very high and the books just end up kicking over to the for sale section after the auction ends. Any thoughts?