• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stan Lee DC SS Questions

32 posts in this topic

stan did just imagine books for Dc, i think there are millions done at the minimum

I realize that I mean has any seen say a Batman 500 signed and slabbed by him? Something someone did to be a smart or ironic? Not something he actually did at DC, which all was god awful btw...

The signer has to have a connection to the book to get the yellow label. According to CGC's site, "...Stan Lee can sign any Marvel Comic or comic featuring one of his co-creations for the Signature Series label, the DC Comics "Just Imagine Stan Lee" mini-series, as well as any title or magazine he is connected with. "

I wanna have the first The Walking Dead comic signed by Stan Lee. I am gonna make this happen at some point this con season. :)

Waste of money sure, but it will be a funny piece to talk about once I am done with it.

That was my thought as well :) I've seen him sign plenty of marvel he has nothing to do with including books with characters he didn't create *cough* deadpool.

I guess I fail to see the humor in it. Comics fans first question would be "why waste the time and money on that? and non comics fans just won't get it at all.

There are enough creators out there for me to get on books they actually worked on that I simply wouldn't waste the time or money on a "joke" book. That being said, I also wouldn't waste the time or money on a book signed by Stan Lee that he had nothing to do with, like the aforementioned Deadpool.

As I've said before, getting the creator of a character to sign a milestone book or a really nice cover featuring their character, even if they didn't work on the book is one thing, but having Mr. Lee sign a random book (Marvel or otherwise) just doesn't seem very smart. As I am also so fond of saying though, they are your books and it is your money, do as you will!

I was going to have Stan sign a SA SC22 but haven't done it yet. CGC said it was ok. They also told me you can have anyone sign a book as long as they are recognized by CGC SS.

I'm assuming you mean a Showcase #22? Why would you want that signed by Stan Lee? Why not have the dealer you bought it from sign it? At least there is a connection to that particular book and person and anyone down the line is likely to see the dealer's signature as much of a defect as Mr. Lee's.

It's been four years, but according to Paul Litch, "The signature should have relevance to the comic. For example, Toby Maguire could sign a Spider-Man comic because he played Spider-Man in the film versions." It was in an article on the CGC website.

Also, from CGC's FAQ page you have this, "The prestigious CGC Signature Series label (yellow) is applied to comic books that have been signed by someone of significance to the comic, under the direct observation of a CGC employee or select CGC authorized witness." (emphasis added by me)

Also from CGC's website, "Any of the artists (inker, colorist, etc.) and any writer from that specific title and issue can sign. Any person who was significantly involved in the creation of the character or storyline can sign the book. If an actor played that character, they can sign the book. Also, any persons mentioned or quoted in the book can sign (letters published, names mentioned, quoted)." I'm guessing Stan Lee gets around this since so many Marvel books had "Stan Lee presents" on the first page. How do the books mentioned here meet any of these guidelines?

The ideas I'm seeing here make having Stan Lee sign Deadpool books appear rational by comparison.

I think it is stupid, too, but I am a pretty big proponent of people doing whatever they want to with their books. Just expect to hear deafening silence from me, if it is ever posted on the Boards. :eek:

Did you not see how hard I danced around the phrase, "that's stupid"?

lol

I'm just wondering where the "CGC said it was ok" comes from. It appears to go against everything they have done since Signature Series began.

I think it is stupid, too, but I am a pretty big proponent of people doing whatever they want to with their books. Just expect to hear deafening silence from me, if it is ever posted on the Boards. :eek:

lol

I'm just wondering where the "CGC said it was ok" comes from. It appears to go against everything they have done since Signature Series began.

I don't know. It seems like a complete reversal.

lol

I don't know. It seems like a complete reversal.

That's my thinking. On top of that, it opens the flood gates for a slew of ridiculous ideas and books. If there were to be several of them, it would make the program itself appear foolish. After all that has been done to preserve its integrity, I have a hard time seeing any of this happening.

Hopefully, it is a misunderstanding, and the person who gave the information didn't quite understand the complete lack of connection with the talent and the book. Although I could see them completely giving up and saying "Stan Lee is synonymous with the comic industry, so he can sign anything." It would be stupid, but I could see it.