• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seduction of the Innocent with DJ first print $135 shipped

46 posts in this topic

Well, Dale Roberts owns one, but I think it's already spoken for...

Never had a copy of POP, I'd enjoy having one. Had a copy of SOTI years back, it's kind of interesting, but Wertham wasn't that good of a writer. It drags in places.

I would pay top dollar if anyone else has a copy of seduction of the innocent.

Just dont be that one guy on ebay asking a grand.

Copies show up here every now and again. Just keep your eye out for one and you'll get hooked up.

Copies show up here every now and again. Just keep your eye out for one and you'll get hooked up.

I just bought my second copy here in the summer... :baiting:

A grand is top dollar.

A grand is top dollar.

Actually, I wouldn't take a grand for my personal copy.

Linguini will give you top dollar for it.

It's in print if you just want a reprint copy to read.

About 10 years ago I bought a reprint online from B&N for $30 or so. Inside it indicated that it was a printing of 80 copies, so I ordered a couple more. I put them up on eBay and they went for more than $200. Still not sure what that was all about.

A grand is top dollar.

If you look the one up on ebay you'll notice that it is in very poor quality and therefore not worth a grand.

If someone contacted me with a near mint plus copy of this book I would probably buy it no questions asked.

A grand is top dollar.

If you look the one up on ebay you'll notice that it is in very poor quality and therefore not worth a grand.

If someone contacted me with a near mint plus copy of this book I would probably buy it no questions asked.

Good luck finding a NM+ copy, and if you ever did it would run you a lot more than a grand...

If you really want one just go here... SOTI but it also goes to show you how good the prices are here on the boards...

I'm not in the market for this - but I'm curious. If most of the first prints have the list of referenced comics excised, do later editions have the list? If so, how is the value effected?

The book first had the bilbiography, and a few copies of the first print were released with it. Then, most likely because of comic publisher threats, the bibliography was excised by the publisher prior to distribution of most copies. Wertham didn't even know that they had removed it until after after it was done.

Then in about 1954 or 1955, there was a second print, which had no colophon on the publication page. Although the second print has a stub to indicate that the bibliography was removed, I have never seen or heard of any copies of the second print that survived with the bibliography.

The third print was by Kennikat Press in 1972. It had the bibliography.

Then there are numerous modern printings, all of which have the bibliography. They are available on Amazon. They are part of alleged print runs of 220 books and claim to be "limited editions." But it appears that every time they sell out, they just print 220 more, so the edition isn't really limited at all.

I'm off to lots of family stuff today, but I'll respond to some of the other SOTI questions next time I get a chance.

A grand is top dollar.

Ditto.

About 8 years ago, I was fortunate enough to upgrade my personal copy. The one that became my undercopy was still pretty sharp. Solid book, with bibliography, no markings. Dust jacket had no tears or pieces missing, but it had some signs of wear and significant fading on the spine (which is common). If it were a comic book, I'd have graded the book at VF+ and the dust jacket at VG+. It sold in less than 24 hours on eBay with a BIN of $1,000.

I'm not in the market for this - but I'm curious. If most of the first prints have the list of referenced comics excised, do later editions have the list? If so, how is the value effected?

If memory serves the book went back to print a time or two in the 50's, without the bib page, and the first time it was readily available was in the 1972 university press reprint. (Sorry, don't remember WHICH university)

That information is based on a listing in Overstreet that was incorrect for years. In 1972, Kennikat Press reprinted SOTI. For me, that version was by far the toughest one to find.

Shortly thereafter (1974), Wertham's The World of Fanzines was published, by Southern Illinois University Press. For quite a while, Overstreet incorrectly listed the 1972 printing of SOTI as being by SIU press, when in actuality was by Kennikat Press.

If memory serves, didn't Greg Theakston do a reprint of POP a few years back? I meant to snag a copy at one time and never managed to do so.

Anybody got a copy of that one? Is it an exact reprint?

If memory serves, didn't Greg Theakston do a reprint of POP a few years back? I meant to snag a copy at one time and never managed to do so.

Anybody got a copy of that one? Is it an exact reprint?

Yes, I have the paperback reprint of Parade of Pleasure published by Greg Theakston's Pure Imagination a couple years ago. It reprints the text of POP, but does not have any of the original illustrations, so it's missing photos of Bettie and Marilyn, as well as illos from a whole bunch of comics. The Pure Imagination reprint does have photos, but those photos were added specifically for that edition, and did not appear in the original.