• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Water only Wash?

19 posts in this topic

Found the answer on CGCs site

"Non-additive processes such as dry cleaning (non-aqueous removal of dirt, soot, or other non-original surface material), pressing (removal or reduction of bends and creases), and tape removal, are not considered restoration by CGC. In accordance with hobby standards, the addition of tape is not considered restoration but will always be noted on the CGC label."

Seems a rather arbitrary distinction between wet water only cleaning and dry cleaning.

Can anyone explain the difference? Is it simply that you can detect water cleaning from the change in tooth/gloss etc while dry cleaning can not?

Sacrilege lol even the lowliest Liefeld beater deserves more! I will give it a go with some paper.

Thanks for your reply Joey

I have a roll of Liefeld comics in my bathroom.

Take a beater comic and submerge it in water for 5 minutes. Blot it dry and check out the difference in paper once dried. It is a crude experiment, but it gets the point across.

And never ,ever do this to your Action 1 :whistle:

Never, ever?

(shrug)

action1wash_zpsb3065d5b.jpg

Seems a rather arbitrary distinction between wet water only cleaning and dry cleaning.

Can anyone explain the difference? Is it simply that you can detect water cleaning from the change in tooth/gloss etc while dry cleaning can not?

And on a serious note, the difference between aqueous washing and dry cleaning is about the very definition of Apples and Oranges.

While dry cleaning can damage a comic by removing inks if done incorrectly, it is a topical treatment.

Submerging a comic in water, or solvents is a process that alters the cover forever. (in a good way if done correctly) From washing out oils, and harmful agents. Or de acidifying and re introducing sizing agents.

A washed comic cover has had things floated away that were inherently original to the cover, and is one of the few professional restoration processes that cannot ever be reversed.

It will always be "restored"

So if you think of it in terms of dry cleaning being as simple as wiping off dust/dirt with your hand, vs dunking a cover into a tank of water.

You can see that dry cleaning is about as benign a process when compared to wet washing.

That said, if done properly you should not readily notice a comic cover was "washed" Many times you can see, feel, and even smell if a cover was washed. But the goal now is to have a washed cover look, feel and smell as original as possible after treatment.

All depends on the condition, era of the cover being washed coupled with the skill of the person doing the work.

Take a beater comic and submerge it in water for 5 minutes. Blot it dry and check out the difference in paper once dried. It is a crude experiment, but it gets the point across.

And never ,ever do this to your Action 1 :whistle:

Never, ever?

(shrug)

action1wash_zpsb3065d5b.jpg

Maybe I should have said never,ever when its already 8.0!

I killed the thread! :acclaim:

And to think I had a 2 boatloads of water washing comic cover photos to upload too.

I would love to see those. :)

Also, just curious when a "water only" wash is the preferred treatment versus other solvents?

And to think I had a 2 boatloads of water washing comic cover photos to upload too.

Also, just curious when a "water only" wash is the preferred treatment versus other solvents?

Me too :)

The general approach in restoration is to do as little as possible that gets the job (cleaning in this case) done. With a water only washing, there is very little chance of inks running. Once you begin to use solvents, books printed from different time periods and even different publishers vary in how they respond to such solvents. There is always a risk of printers ink being washed off. So then color touch is needed.

An experienced, professional restorer will have a lot of knowledge as to what books and what solvents. But there is always a risk. So water is the preferred and first choice if they believe it will do the job.

The general approach in restoration is to do as little as possible that gets the job (cleaning in this case) done. With a water only washing, there is very little chance of inks running. Once you begin to use solvents, books printed from different time periods and even different publishers vary in how they respond to such solvents. There is always a risk of printers ink being washed off. So then color touch is needed.

An experienced, professional restorer will have a lot of knowledge as to what books and what solvents. But there is always a risk. So water is the preferred and first choice if they believe it will do the job.

Well, typically SA covers are solvent washed due to the oils that leeched into the cover from the interior. Solvent washing a SA cover is almost like magic for how it improves the whiteness levels.

GA comics are a different animal, and typically do not respond to solvent washing like SA comics, unless it has stains that are oil based.

Also, solvent washing a cover does nothing for dirt, or soil. So that is where water washing comes in.

But you are correct, depending on the era and publisher will GREATLY affect how one goes about cleaning them. You can float off inks from a cover with water, or solvents. SA and pre codes especially.

Anyone who has ever washed comics knows exactly what I am talking about. :ohnoez:

That said, once you dial the process in. There is little to no risk of losing inks.

Well, typically SA covers are solvent washed due to the oils that leeched into the cover from the interior. Solvent washing a SA cover is almost like magic for how it improves the whiteness levels.

GA comics are a different animal, and typically do not respond to solvent washing like SA comics, unless it has stains that are oil based.

Also, solvent washing a cover does nothing for dirt, or soil. So that is where water washing comes in.

But you are correct, depending on the era and publisher will GREATLY affect how one goes about cleaning them. You can float off inks from a cover with water, or solvents. SA and pre codes especially.

Anyone who has ever washed comics knows exactly what I am talking about. :ohnoez:

That said, once you dial the process in. There is little to no risk of losing inks.

Thanks for the insight.