• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Invader

"Finding a stable planetary system with a potentially habitable planet orbiting one of the very nearest stars in the sky is mind blowing. This is one more piece of evidence that nearly all stars have planets, and that potentially habitable planets in our galaxy are as common as grains of sand on a beach."

Dr Pamela Arriagada, Carnegie Institution

16,000 light years from the sun is Omega Centauri, a globular cluster of very ancient stars.

41dc61c4-ca89-4ae8-94ac-d7a2cb26c9ed_zps4a20e436.jpg

One such is Kapteyn's star, a "red dwarf" cooler than the Sun, named after Dutch astronomer Jacobus Kapteyn who discovered it at the end of the 19th century. It can be seen in the southern constellation of Pictor with an amateur telescope and sits in the "galactic halo", an extended cloud of stars orbiting the Milky Way. It is moving in the opposite direction to the rotation of the other stars in our galaxy

kaptyenchart_zps826e21ac.jpg

Shifts in the colour of star light due to the wobbles allowed them to work out properties of the planets such as their masses and orbital periods. Astronomers have calculated that Kapteyn's star's planets could be 11.5 billion years old - more than twice the age of the Earth and only around two billion years younger than the universe itself. The larger, Kapteyn c, is furthest from it's star and thought to be too cold to support liquid water.

110519_zpsa662fcb5.jpg

Witness

'Behind the drapes. There's something there. There's something in the room... Ooh, I can't move my arms anymore. Now one, two, three, there's four and five. They're taking me outta bed. I won't let them. I won't let them take me outta bed.'

Budd Hopkins was part of the circle of New York artists that in the 1950s and ’60s included Willem DeKooning, Jackson Pollock, Mark Rothko, Franz Kline, and Robert Motherwell.

Budd_Hopkins_zpsaf7aba07.jpg

His work — which by the late ’60s included Mondrian-like paintings of huge geometric forms anointed with flat planes of color — is in the collections of the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Corcoran Gallery of Art in Washington and the British Museum, among others.

Budd_Hopkins__Saturnus__1970__Oil_on_canvas__1500x1022_zpsab080d18.jpg

Hopkins wrote a story about it for The Village Voice that was picked up by Cosmopolitan. He was soon being thronged by abductees, whom he examined under hypnosis. Starting with his book Missing Time, in 1981, and its 1987 sequel, Intruders: The Incredible Visitations at Copley Woods he became known as the father of the alien-abduction movement.

5caa171e28d27d3bf1617e74b8e5378c_zpsb4e794f8.jpg