• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

According to Chang, the community was formed in 1713 by a Belgian priest named Father Perrault who stumbled into the valley half-frozen to death, and amputated his frost-bitten leg by himself when he found there were no doctors. Later, the natives told him that he could have saved his leg because there is no disease in the valley. Nor do people age as in the world outside. After building Shangri-La, he was 108 years old and still very active.

goosson-Cenario-de-Lost-Horizon_zps36c1d19c.jpg

His brother meets and falls in love with Maria, a beautiful Russian woman who appears no more than 20 years of age, but who actually came to the valley in 1888. His brother is eager to return to civilization with Robert and wants to take Maria with them.

01354_zps346d7658.jpg

Robert is taken by Chang to meet the High Lama.

"Look at the world today. Is there anything more pitiful? What madness there is! What blindness! What unintelligent leadership! A scurrying mass of bewildered humanity crashing headlong against each other, compelled by an orgy of greed and brutality. The time must come, my friend, when this orgy will spend itself, when brutality and the lust for power must perish by its own sword. Against that time is why I avoided death and am here and why you were brought here. For when that day comes, the world must begin to look for a new life."

Conway belatedly notices a walking stick, and that the High Lama has only one leg. He is amazed to realize that the High Lama and Father Perrault are one and the same, now more than 200 years old.

LostHorizon11_zpsa710995f.jpg

Conway: It's inconceivable.

Sondra: What?

Conway: All of it. Father Perrault and his magnificent history. This place hidden away from the rest of the world with its glorious concepts. And now you come along and confuse me entirely.

Sondra: Oh, I'm sorry. I thought I was to be the light. But why do I confuse you? Am I so strange?

Conway: Oh, on the contrary, you're not strange. And that, in itself, is confusing. I had the same idea about, about Shangri-La. A sense that I've been here before, that I belonged here.

Sondra: I'm so glad.

Conway: I can't quite explain it, but everything is somehow familiar. The very air I breathe, the Lamasery with its feet rooted in the good earth of this fertile valley while its head explores the eternal. All the beautiful things I see - these cherry blossoms, you. All are somehow familiar. I've been kidnapped and brought here against my will. A crime, a great crime, yet I accept it amiably, with the same warm amiability one tolerates only from a very dear and close friend. Why? Can you tell me why?

Sondra: Perhaps because you've always been a part of Shangri-La without knowing it.

Conway: I wonder.

Sondra: I'm sure of it, just as I'm sure there's a wish for Shangri-La in everyone's heart.

LostHorizon-1937-RonaldColeman-JaneWyatt_zps3b810d47.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

George believes that Robert's story about the Lama is completely mad. He demands that they return to the outside world and take Maria with them. Robert warns his brother that if Maria leaves, she will age and perhaps die.

George: She's a fragile thing that can only live where fragile things are loved. Take her out of this valley and she'll fade away like an echo.

Maria: I'll die if I have to stay here another minute...Look at me, Mr. Conway, do I look like an old woman? Is this the skin of an old woman? Look into my eyes. Are these the eyes of an old woman?

LostHorizon17_zps66df5f22.jpg

Out on the narrow ledge leading away from the valley, an avalanche buries the Tibetan porters, and only the three white travelers survive.

Maria dies an old wrinkled and withered woman, aging by half a century, the time she spent in the valley. George screams out: "Look at her face! Her face! Look at her face!" Mad with grief George commits suicide by throwing himself off a cliff ledge.

007-lost-horizon-theredlist_zpse3bafb15.jpg

Eventually he stumbles into a remote village, more dead than alive, and news of his survival reaches the outside world.

"During those last ten months, that man has done the most astounding things. Well, he learned how to fly, stole an Army plane and got caught, put into jail and escaped, all in an amazingly short space of time, but this is only the beginning of his adventure. He begged, cajoled, fought, always pushing forward to the Tibetan frontier. Everywhere I went, I heard the most amazing stories of the man's adventures. Positively astounding, till eventually, I trailed him to the most extreme outposts in Tibet. Of course, he had already gone, but his memory, oh, oh... His memory will live with those natives for the rest of their lives. 'The man who was not human,' they called him. They'll never forget the devil-eyed stranger who six times tried to go over a mountain pass that no other human being dared to travel, and six times was forced back by the severest storms. They'll never forget the madman who stole their food and clothing, who they locked up in their barracks but who fought six of their guards to escape. Why, their soldiers are still talking about their pursuit to overtake him and shuddering at the memory. He led them the wildest chase through their own country. And finally, he disappeared over that very mountain pass that they themselves dared not travel. And that, gentlemen, was the last that any known human being saw of Robert Conway."

Lord Gainsford

lost_horizon17_zpsebefe0fa.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo