• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

"The original photographs, all taken in Japan, were individually printed, washed, fixed, toned, dried, cropped, hand-coloured and pasted onto the page – a process that was repeated thousands of times across the sixteen editions of the book. The photographs were albumen prints created using silver salts suspended in egg white, a more time-consuming process than the gelatine and collodion method that had recently been introduced.

"The most distinctive feature of Japan was the hand-colouring of the photographs. This technique had largely been replaced by mechanical colouring, and was already seen as more traditional and prestigious. The Japanese excelled in the hand-colouring of decorative objects such as fans, lanterns and prints, and by the 1880s they were applying this expertise to colouring photographs. It is estimated that a total of 350 individual colorists would have worked for a year on their own part of the work, with each colorist completing, at most, three prints a day."

JPN_146728815710.jpg

Considered by many to be one of the finest primary visual sources on Japan before her leap towards modernization, this set is a superb photographic essay and statement of what Japan looked before modernization. It is a broad and wonderful view of travel in the main and obscure places, daily activities and photos of people engaged in the toil of trades, farming, commence and household activities. It is an inward view of a culture about to undergo massive cultural change before the results of Western influence.

JPN_14672881575.jpg

3 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

…I am a Kentish man, born in a town called Gillingham, two English miles from Rochester, one mile from Chatham, where the King's ships do lie: from the age of twelve years old, I was brought up in Limehouse near London, being Apprentice twelve years to Master Nicholas Diggins; and myself have served for Master and Pilot in her Majesty's ships; and about eleven or twelve years have served the Worshipfull Company of the Barbary Merchants, until the Indish traffic from Holland began, in which Indish traffic I was desirous to make a little experience of the small knowledge which God had given me. So, in the year of our Lord 1598, I was hired for Pilot Major of a fleet of five sails, which was made ready by the Dutch Indish Company….

William Adams (24 September 1564 – 16 May 1620), known in Japanese as Miura Anjin was an English navigator who, in 1600, was the first of his nation to reach Japan during a five-ship expedition for the Dutch East India Company.

will_adams_picture_med_hr.jpeg

Nice to see an old Limehouse boy! I used to work there and have fond memories of the East India Dock Road. Thanks for posting this and all the other great pictures Flex :headbang:

On 12/25/2017 at 2:34 PM, Marwood & I said:

Nice to see an old Limehouse boy! I used to work there and have fond memories of the East India Dock Road. Thanks for posting this and all the other great pictures Flex :headbang:

That's interesting! I used to live just across the river in Bermondsey, and even though gentrification was well under way in the early nineties, the dockside area was still very atmospheric - narrow cobbled streets, huge rundown warehouses...

From the late 16th century ships were built at Limehouse and traders supplied provisions for voyages.

large.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

Wealthy merchants erected fine houses on Narrow Street, especially in the early 18th century. In 1730 Nicholas Hawksmoor built St Anne’s church just south of Commercial Road. Regarded as one of the architect’s finest works, it has the highest church clock in London. Its location is marked with a pin on the map below.

Hawksmoor is also a brilliant 1985 novel by the English writer Peter Ackroyd. It won Best Novel at the 1985 Whitbread Awards and the Guardian Fiction Prize. It tells the parallel stories of Nicholas Dyer, who builds seven churches in 18th-century London for which he needs human sacrifices, and Nicholas Hawksmoor, detective in the 1980s, who investigates murders committed in the same churches. Dyer is modeled on the historical Hawksmoor.

18519373761.jpg

The Chinese community was never very large but it gained a reputation for gambling and opium-smoking and Limehouse provided the backdrop for the Dr Fu Manchu films. Indeed, their creator claimed that the character was modeled on a Chinese man of unusual appearance whom he had glimpsed on Limehouse Causeway one foggy night in 1911...

B-of-FM-poster.jpg