• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

Shahina and I had a long conversation tonight on Whatsapp. The ringleader of the hooligans, Moina by name, has repeatedly tried to get bail without success. Finally, he sent his sister to Shahina's house to intercede. Shahina told her that Moina was not her enemy, that all she has wanted is to help the community. This became a turning point. many people in the community have come forward to apologize to her, saying that they have misunderstood her intentions.

She told me that in the darkest moments,when all seemed lost, I had given her hope and inspiration. But now she says, she feels strong again - stronger than before. I told her that it was the strength of her belief that mattered more than her actions. She knows now that she has won. She said tonite, 'I learned if you believe your own self we win all fight'. She says that the next time we meet, she will dance with me. I'm already dancing.

Thanks to all of you, names now almost beyond counting, what Shahina knows is that when her back is to the wall and the darkness rises, there is a light we want to share with her, and she is not alone. and the children, the scholars, and the volunteers, the mothers, are not alone.

Thanks to all of you, we can now do more than simply fund the minimum - Roshni can find a new and better home, a livelihood program to train unemployed women in crafts, 18 scholarships, legal aid, and all the rest.

In the battle between good and evil, evil lost - at least this battle.

And thanks to all of you, my cup runneth over. Do you know where that phrase originates? (I'm sure you do.)

Psalm 23

Lord Jehovah will shepherd me and I shall lack nothing.

He will make me lie upon lush pastures and he will lead me by restful waters.

He brings back my soul, and leads me in the paths of truth because of your Name.

Even if I shall walk in the valleys of the shadows of death, I will not be afraid of evil, because you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me,

You have prepared tables in front of me opposite my enemies; you have anointed my head with oil and my cup overflows as if it were alive.

Your kindness and your mercies pursue me all the days of my life...

..but before I get too serious, let's play 'Spot the foreigner'

IMG_4399_zpsz9v9ks35.jpg

Saniya Saba

I am Saniya Saba. I am 12 years old. I am studying in class VII. I am living at Kolkata a small slum area which is called Raja Bazar. My father is a daily Labour of envelope making and my mother sale some imitation jewelleries like earrings finger rings etc on the Raja Bazaar street. My mother started this business before six years ago. We missed my mother lords of time . My mother never travel any where with me and my brother because of her business. In school every students called me payal wali (literally, 'anklet seller') I don’t like this word.

IMG-20180208-WA0158.jpg

My dream is become a doctor or a singer because I like to sing song and I want to become a doctor because I want to help poor resource persons who will not efforts to pay fees of a doctor. Roshni youth group give me opportunities to know and express our talents in a public place. Before starting football training my believe was that girls can’t play football and my family was also thinking like me but after starting the football practice my thought changed now I am thinking that every body can do every things if they give equal opportunities. Now my aunty support me I spends lots of time with her and I am shair every things with her and now she understand my mother now I am continue my education and Roshni group support my education through giving me a scholarship. And another thing is that my Roshni group is always with me mentally. My group members always appreciate my mother’s work now I am proud of my mother. I love you ammi.

IMG-20180208-WA0159.jpg

Now I want to become a footballer because of 2 reasons, one is that I really enjoying it another is that my  mother is my strength, am happy that she supports me to build up myself and she wants that I will make my self as an independent girl . My mother never want that what she done or doing in her life I repeat also .... 

IMG_20171030_174916.jpg

My father name is Mohammed Shamim , he never supports us as well he didn't treat well . Every child wants that his father love them but my didn't care about it . He always drunk and didn't go to his work . MY mother name is Mustari Begum and she is a house wife . I have a elder sister who's name is Nafisa Warsi . I love her but she is not stay with us because my mother wants to educate us but she can't give us a good life so that she send my elder sister to my maternal uncle .

IMG_20171030_174114.jpg