• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tales from the Island of Serendip
4 4

8,956 posts in this topic

5.) The hero passes the first threshold. (CROSSING THE THRESHOLD.)

"As long as there is injustice, whenever a Targathian baby cries out, wherever a distress signal sounds among the stars, we'll be there. This fine ship, this fine crew. Never give up... and never surrender."

gq111_zpsdce2505b.jpg

6.) The hero encounters tests and helpers. (TESTS, ALLIES, ENEMIES.)

Voice of Computer: Enemy is matching velocity.

Gwen DeMarco: The enemy is matching velocity.

Sir Alexander Dane: We heard it the first time.

Gwen DeMarco: Gosh, I'm doing it. I'm repeating the darn computer.

gq17_zps92447a1b.jpg

gq110_zpsbf5c9f79.jpg

gq118_zpsb240e704.jpg

Guy Fleegman: I changed my mind. I wanna go back.

Sir Alexander Dane: After the fuss you made about getting left behind?

Guy Fleegman: Yeah, but that's when I thought I was the crewman that stays on the ship, and something is up there, and it kills me. But now I'm thinking I'm the guy who gets killed by some monster five minutes after we land on the planet.

Jason Nesmith: You're not gonna die on the planet, Guy.

Guy Fleegman: I'm not? Then what's my last name?

Jason Nesmith: It's, uh, uh - -I don't know.

Guy Fleegman: Nobody knows. Do you know why? Because my character isn't important enough for a last name, because I'm gonna die five minutes in.

Gwen DeMarco: Guy, you have a last name.

Guy Fleegman: DO I? DO I? For all you know, I'm "Crewman Number Six"! Mommy... mommy...

Sir Alexander Dane: Are we there yet?

gq115_zps63393137.jpg

Gwen DeMarco: Let's get out of here before one of those things kills Guy.

gq116_zps021ded44.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

8.) The hero endures the supreme ORDEAL.

Guy Fleegman: I'm just a glorified extra, Fred. I'm a dead man anyway. If I'm gonna die, I'd rather go out a hero than a coward.

Fred Kwan: Guy, Guy... maybe you're the plucky comic relief. You ever think about that?

Guy Fleegman: Plucky?

gq121_zps7f3a9588.jpg

gq-1s_zps43f0d171.jpg

Jason Nesmith: Mathesar, there's no such person as Captain Taggart. My name is Jason Nesmith. I'm an actor. We're all actors.

Sarris: He doesn't understand. Explain as you would a child.

Jason Nesmith: We, uh, we pretended.

[On Malthesar's blank look]

Jason Nesmith: We lied.

gq119_zps598dd232.jpg

9.) The hero seizes the sword. (SEIZING THE SWORD, REWARD)

Quellek: [Quellek has been shot, and is dying. Alexander rushes to him]

Sir Alexander Dane: Quellek?

Sir Alexander Dane: [sees Quellek's wound]

Sir Alexander Dane: That's not too bad. We'll get you to the medical quarters, and you'll be fine.

Quellek: It has been my greatest pleasure to serve with you. I have been blessed. I... I... I...

Sir Alexander Dane: Don't speak, Quellek.

Quellek: You'll forgive my impertinence, but even though we have never before met, I have always considered you as a father to me.

Sir Alexander Dane: Quellek... by Grabthar's hammer... by the Suns of Warvan... you shall be... avenged.

gq124_zpsed70d0ee.jpg

[Fred and Larali start to passionately kiss]

Guy Fleegman: [Turns away, embarrassed] Hey... Get a room guys.

[Larali's alien tentacles start to slide up Fred's back and over his shoulder]

Guy Fleegman: Woah!

[Fred looks down at the tentacles, his eyes roll back, and he starts kissing again]

Guy Fleegman: Heh, C'mon Fred.

[Fred and Larali drop to the floor and out of sight. A high pitched squishing sound is heard]

Guy Fleegman: Oh *that's* not right! No...

gq123_zpsc7386aa7.jpg

To summarise:

A hero is any male or female who leaves the world of his or her everyday life to undergo a journey to a special world where challenges and fears are overcome in order to secure a reward (special knowledge, healing potion, etc.) which is then shared with other members of the hero’s community.

Spiritually and psychologically, the journey is a metaphor for growth.

The journey, seen as a process of self-discovery and self-integration and as a way of maintaining balance and harmony in our lives, can be confusing and painful, but, as with any process of growth and change, it brings opportunities to develop confidence, perspective and understanding.

Galaxy+Quest+DVD.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

I was hoping to follow up today with something a little more substantial regarding the hero's/heroine's journey, but it is proving to be more difficult to get it straight than it seems in my head. And then there is the small matter of transforming a wall of text into a visual rendition. So I'll break it down into manageable posts over the next few days, and for me at least that will be fun. More in my next!

"Has it got any sports in it?"

"Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

The Princess Bride

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.”

The Princes Diaries

To one and all, a Merry Christmas, and a truly wonderful New Year!

lf_zps70eaf535.jpg

Edited by Flex Mentallo

I was hoping to follow up today with something a little more substantial regarding the hero's/heroine's journey, but it is proving to be more difficult to get it straight than it seems in my head. And then there is the small matter of transforming a wall of text into a visual rendition. So I'll break it down into manageable posts over the next few days, and for me at least that will be fun. More in my next!

"Has it got any sports in it?"

"Fencing. Fighting. Torture. Poison. True love. Hate. Revenge. Giants. Hunters. Bad men. Good men. Beautifulest ladies. Snakes. Spiders. Beasts of all natures and descriptions. Pain. Death. Brave men. Coward men. Strongest men. Chases. Escapes. Lies. Truths. Passion. Miracles."

The Princess Bride

“Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live at all.”

The Princes Diaries

To one and all, a Merry Christmas, and a truly wonderful New Year!

lf_zps70eaf535.jpg

Probably my favorite Christmas cover! Merry Christmas to you, Michael!

In mythology, and in the study of folklore and religion, a trickster is a god, goddess, spirit, man, woman, or anthropomorphic animal who plays tricks or otherwise disobeys normal rules and conventional behavior.

Tricksters have been part of our myths and stories from the very beginning.

31-1024x768.jpg