• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What If?

139 posts in this topic

Movie night with the girlfriend and you're picking one of those three? Oh Khaos. I guess the Kansas wind has warped your brain. See something better than one of those.

You've got "Catch Me If You Can" on VHS or DVD? That just came out in the theatre a month ago didn't it?

All 3 movies were sent to me by the studios in hopes that I vote for them for the WGA awards. Personally, I'm inclined to support the idea of sending me free movies, so already they're a step ahead of the competition. But I sure would like to actually watch them before I vote.

As for buying the DVD player, murph, $50 is still $50 and that's more than I can spare. I live on the edge with no leeway right now. But as I said, it's no big deal. I can go without for as long as it takes. It won't last forever.

Besides, movie night with friends sounds like a lot of fun!

-- Joanna

Movie night with the girlfriend and you're picking one of those three? Oh Khaos. I guess the Kansas wind has warped your brain.

lol Donut... but we went and saw "Chicago" for our last movie night! It's KHAOS' turn, baby! (But, in all honesty, "Chicago" was truly excellent... except for Richard Gere.)

Nothing like posting on a public board that you're getting a home address of another forum member and threating violence. shocked.gif

Sheer brilliance! lol

And I hope Rickdogg didn't really help Hammer with this stupidity.

What difference does HDTV make for a DVD? DVDs are all recorded in NTSC and PAL.

I'm waiting until all major networks run the majority of their shows in HDTV before I take the plunge. The FCC has already mandated that they do it by 2005.

What difference does HDTV make for a DVD? DVDs are all recorded in NTSC and PAL.

Well, progressive scan can make for a better image. Also, pretty much all HDTV or HDTCV/compatible conform to the 1080i spec, meaning that the scan lines are doubled and make for a definitelty better picture. I have witnessed both phenomena but only have a vanilla 45" Mitsubishi rear projection tv which I absolute;ly love because the majority of films I watch are in 1.33 anywayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I can buy the progressive scan instead of normal television interlacing, but NTSC is NTSC...whether it's 525 lines or that doubled to 1050, I don't see how the picture would get any better until the movie industry cashes in on their planned-ten-years-ago move of re-releasing everything on the successor to DVD that will have enough room to store movies in an HDTV format.

I've gotta say..if you watch a DVD on an HDTV vs on a regular TV..the picture seems a lot more vibrant and "real"..I am very very happy with my HDTV. You can even get some football games in HDTV which is REALLY cool. smile.gif

Brian

NTSC is NTSC...whether it's 525 lines or that doubled to 1050,

The doubling makes a real difference. NTSC is simple a standard. The doubling utlizies that standard and makes it appear better to the human eye. And since we are using human eyes (no, NOT Human Fly) the picture DOES llok better.

Also, you have to consider the DVDs that are out now that are optimized anomorphic. BIG diff there - NTSC or not!

Computer Screens have progressive scan on them,Analog TV does not,When you Pop in a dvd into a progressive scan dvd player on an HDTV you will see a much sharper picture.Blade DVD for example,has an excellent picture on it (not all dvds are the same) I can see the pours on blade's neck when he's getting a serum shot in the neck from Whistler,can't see that on a regular tv.Make sure you use High Perfomance monster cables like Monster Video 2 or 3 ( i use MV3) they are expensive but worth it..mine cost $90.00 for a set of Component monster cables,Component is basically for HDTV,for regular tv,use S-Video.not as good as the Componets,but better than you are most likely seeing now..throw away the wires that come with the dvd player..they are cheap junk and replace them with monster cables.You won't believe your eyes! grin.gif

Check out my icon on the left. Now look at it with the lines doubled:

315.JPG

I don't get the concept of how twice as many lines--when the extra 525 added are just copies of the first 525--could make a picture look better. Now, if they're doing something else to that line-doubled picture, then yes. What are they doing?

Check out my icon on the left. Now look at it with the lines doubled

For one thing, the resolution of the original scan.

Go to a good store that has a lot of tv's and dvd players hooked up. Take a dvd with you in case you encounter a lazy salesperson. Ask them to play the dvd on a doubler tv. Then look at the difference. Don't use a JPG or BMP for a comparison. The inherent resolution of them is a LOT less than what we are talking about.