• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,870 posts in this topic

Just a random thought: Didn't QVC or HSN make some "rare" collectible comic books around the time of the Death of Superman? Could this be one of them?

I had a family member buying comics that way for a little bit. He bought Batman 492, Batman 497 and other "key" books for their time via QVC. Each were the original book, signed by one to X creators, and came with a QVC COA.

I'm not sure they had special covers made back then. But if they did, it would be interesting to find out more.

Just a random thought: Didn't QVC or HSN make some "rare" collectible comic books around the time of the Death of Superman? Could this be one of them?

I had a family member buying comics that way for a little bit. He bought Batman 492, Batman 497 and other "key" books for their time via QVC. Each were the original book, signed by one to X creators, and came with a QVC COA.

I'm not sure they had special covers made back then. But if they did, it would be interesting to find out more.

That is exactly the same type of stuff that you encounter when you google Superman and QVC. Nothing indicates a special print run or new covers.

QVC were way overpriced and none comic collectors thought they were cashing in buying rare books.

I have went to see a few collections over the years where people had books bought from QVC that they thought were "collectors items" and because they paid $100, 15-20 years ago must be worth a lot more now.

Never seen this book though.

The logo doesnt exactly look straight to me hm

That is exactly the same type of stuff that you encounter when you google Superman and QVC. Nothing indicates a special print run or new covers.

Yeah, QVC and HSN only offered regular books. They would either get them signed or sell them in over-priced bundles. Where else could you buy the Funeral for a Friend lot of 8 books not at the "regular" price of $99.99, but rather $49.99. lol

:tonofbricks:

lets say this book ends up becoming legit and not a fake...

is there any demand or value increase or its just a rare but cheap superman book?

as foreign collector, i know rare and scarce doesnt equate to high value...

Everyone's grandma has a Hulk 181 and an extra just to wipe their feet at the door and they are high price with plenty to boot so that throws out the "rare and scarce" argument...

i guess it could be in the category of the Superman Skiing comic to crazy collectors (shrug)

Wonder if Ian Levine knows anything about it?

Considering it's a fake, I doubt it. Looks like they took a die-cut cover from one of the Return of Superman issues, colored it black, than added an embossed S shield over the regular S shield that was under the opening in the cover.

Considering it's a fake, I doubt it. Looks like they took a die-cut cover from one of the Return of Superman issues, colored it black, than added an embossed S shield over the regular S shield that was under the opening in the cover.

if it is not fake what do you think it would be worth?

Except for the fact that the diecut is nowhere close to the same position on the book.

Other than being wrong, you could be right. lol

1235363_629155010439725_708230315_n_zps5cbf689e.jpg

I'm not going to wonder about it's value because it is fake.

That cover design was released 20 years ago. No one here has ever seen or heard of it's existence until now. The guy who showed it to you only showed you a picture on his phone, he didn't have it in hand. Why? Because if you saw it in person it would be obvious that it was a homemade fake. What was stated earlier is probably what is happening here. He was fishing by showing you the picture and is probably waiting to hear back from you. As for the embossing? It may not actually be embossed. The whole cover and embossing may well just be a photoshop job. hm

That cover design was released 20 years ago. No one here has ever seen or heard of it's existence until now. The guy who showed it to you only showed you a picture on his phone, he didn't have it in hand. Why? Because if you saw it in person it would be obvious that it was a homemade fake. What was stated earlier is probably what is happening here. He was fishing by showing you the picture and is probably waiting to hear back from you. As for the embossing? It may not actually be embossed. The whole cover and embossing may well just be a photoshop job. hm

have you ever been wrong? Im gonna search and if it IS real i will find find it and pay whatever i have to pay to get it

have you ever been wrong? Im gonna search and if it IS real i will find find it and pay whatever i have to pay to get it

Knock yourself out, tiger. (thumbs u

Maybe this discussion would be better had in the rarest books of the 90s thread instead of here as there may be a few collectors in there with some knowledge of it (shrug)

That's a good idea, and as such, it is quite lonely in here.