• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,818 posts in this topic

I think an over-inflated sense of your importance in the world is really just standard operating procedure for the vast majority of humanity.

Not really, for anyone over 40. It's called humility.

I disagree with you entirely. Hubris knows no age limits, or any other limits.

Nearly every religion on earth calls pride the ultimate problem of humanity, and rightfully so...age may teach one to mask it, but hardly resolve it.

It takes power outside yourself to realize exactly where you stand in the order of things. No one reaches that place on their own.

All it really takes for this is to have a family.

I will politely agree to disagree.

Let me guess-you've never been married or had kids. My wife and daughter are my "reality check." They can humble me like no others. When I screw up, they let me know in no uncertain terms that I messed up. I find that people who live alone often do not have anybody to give them an honest opinion of how they're doing. Or maybe they don't care because they think they are right and everybody else is wrong.

To boil it down to simply "being married and having kids" is a gross, broad oversimplification. You've made several broad assumptions that are easily disproved.

There are multitudes of people who are married with children who think they are the center of the universe, despite that spouse and child(ren). And I don't mean in the sense of criminality, though there certainly is that. There are, for example, "stage moms", who force their children to do things they either failed at themselves, or were not allowed to do, or simply because they miss their own glory days. There are people who have children merely as accessories, to brighten up their holiday cards. There are people who have children so that they, themselves, will have someone to care for them in their old age. There are people who get married because they, themselves, don't want to be lonely. There are people who get married because they are horny. There are people who get married so they can be secure.

All of these things, and many, many more, aren't all necessarily bad things, but they ARE self-serving. You give to get. They are selfish, because humanity is selfish.

And of course, there's a difference between being humiliated and being humbled. But both are useless if they don't lead to correction.

There are, on the other hand, people...very, very few....(and probably none on this entire board) who "live alone", whose very lives are a shining example of giving, and genuine giving, not giving to receive, which is what nearly everyone else does, whether they know it or not. They give without fanfare, without trumpets, without even letting their left hand know what their right hand is doing. That is real humility.

And very, very, VERY few people possess it. And it certainly has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with being married and having kids. When I said it takes a power outside of themselves, I do not mean "other people", whether they are your wife, your children, your parents, or anyone else.

So you're not married, and have no children. Answering a question without obfuscation is impossible for you.

There was no question asked, which you also already know.

One need not experience fire personally, to know that it burns.

Let's get back, as you suggested, to talking about funny books.

PS. Dismissing someone's argument because they haven't experienced the same things you have ("Let me guess...you've never been married or had kids"), **especially** when you know nothing about them, is the very opposite of the humility that "jaeldubyoo" is claiming to actually HAVE by virtue of being married and having kids. Is that not irony? It is. Very much so. While experience is a powerful teacher, truth is truth regardless of experience.

In other words...one need not be a thief to know that stealing harms people. Likewise, one need not be "married with children" to learn humility; and one need not be single to be selfish. They are neither mutually inclusive nor exclusive concepts.

I've noticed X-Factor 24 (1st Archangel) has had a nice spike since the Apocalypse movie announcement. 9.8s are going for $200 as compared to $160 before the announcement. There's not too many of them in the census.

I love this book... :cloud9:

Why? Please elaborate . . . :)

Reminds me of my childhood collecting.

I remember finding my first copy in this hole in the wall bookstore, and I was so excited.

Always liked the whole Apocalypse, four horsemen, X-stories, and this kicked them all off.

By the way...did anyone notice that there was a $235 sale for Swamp Thing #37....in 9.2? And a $179 AND $175 sale for two 9.0s...?

:o

Makes my 9.6 SS sales at $180 each last year look like downright bargains.

Let's see. Reason why I like Archangel...

He has the whole fighting the inner demon thing, flies at super speeds, metal wings are razor sharp that sometimes have a mind of their own, can shoot projectile bullet feathers laced with poison, and was a badass member of X-Force.

I'm hoping he will be in the Apocalypse movie or at least the X-Force movie

Let's see. Reason why I like Archangel...

He has the whole fighting the inner demon thing, flies at super speeds, metal wings are razor sharp that sometimes have a mind of their own, can shoot projectile bullet feathers laced with poison, and was a badass member of X-Force.

I'm hoping he will be in the Apocalypse movie or at least the X-Force movie

:wishluck:

By the way...did anyone notice that there was a $235 sale for Swamp Thing #37....in 9.2? And a $179 AND $175 sale for two 9.0s...?

:o

Makes my 9.6 SS sales at $180 each last year look like downright bargains.

Hot book for sure....

I just sold a raw VF/NM for $100 on ebay yesterday ...... Felt pretty good about it!

hm comparing speculation prices on moderns to prices on coppers is almost as dumb as trying to argue with RMA.

Was that a response to my post? If yes, then sorry, I should have used SA examples like Avengers #1, SC #22, B&B #28, etc. that many of us on the boards discussed privately while accumulating copies for cheap, started hyping then kept moving prices up at shows and online. I did well with SC #22 and Avengers #1, but left money on the table by exiting the B&B #28 game way too early to pursue other BA and SA books I felt had better potential.

Married, partnered, live-in GF/BF, etc., someone who is around you constantly and who will call you on BS, is probably the only way for some people to gain self-awareness.

It has nothing to do with marriage, just having someone who isn't a relative or friend around to keep you grounded.

I've noticed X-Factor 24 (1st Archangel) has had a nice spike since the Apocalypse movie announcement. 9.8s are going for $200 as compared to $160 before the announcement. There's not too many of them in the census.

I love this book... :cloud9:

Picked up a pristine copy at my LCS for $20 :headbang: :headbang: Will send it to CGC soon. Also picked up everyone's favorite copper issue Micronauts 1, and some book with Star Lord on the cover for $3.

Hellblazer #1 @ $16 & 21 bids.

DC Comics Presents #26 @ $20 & 19 bids. This will go higher as this book has been of particular interest lately it seems.

Dark Knight Returns #1 VF/NM @ $19 & 47 watchers. :whistle:

Than back to the already well known books. X-Factor #6, X-Men #266, Secret Wars #8.. :blahblah:

WAIT, Wait.. hold the phone..

Uncanny X-Men #184 CGC 9.8 @ $31 BUT 25 watchers? Just a bunch of people chasing the census? hm

Edited by whetteon

Hellblazer #1 @ $16 & 21 bids.

DC Comics Presents #26 @ $20 & 19 bids. This will go higher as this book has been of particular interest lately it seems.

Dark Knight Returns #1 VF/NM @ $19 & 47 watchers. :whistle:

Than back to the already well known books. X-Factor #6, X-Men #266, Secret Wars #8.. :blahblah:

It'll be interesting to see if Hellblazer #1 heats up, now that Papa Midnite has been announced as the shows main villain.