• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

On 4/20/2024 at 8:40 PM, Toz said:

Been hoarding DS covers for years.Multiple copies on many.

Regarding art Adams & Adam Hughes.Art Adams is fantastic in his own right.I loved his Longshot and work he did for ABC,BUT,he can't hold a candle to Dave.Dave is a legand.His second creation(after Aurora),made it to the big screen.

AH is the currenmt GGA master and I have been getting a lot of his covers.Older works were much better but he can still knock it out of the park.

Scott Campbell? He did some mighty fine work early on but some of the recent stuff just makes my eyes hurt.

Dave is quickly rising to the top ranks of comic book artists.But.like who you want.

Its harder to compare more current artists because they have become cover artists only.
They rarely do interior art anymore and who can blame them when they can make more from doing covers. 

While Campbell is not my favorite he is one the best at producing and selling his own cover art. 

On 4/23/2024 at 8:56 AM, fastballspecial said:

I still find them in $1 boxes at flea markets and such. Its still not known well on many titles yet.

This is true. There’s still sub $5 DS books out there. Many more minor obscure books like Who’s Who or Grendel.. lots of girl covers can be had for $10 like Girl Crazy 1

On 4/23/2024 at 6:45 PM, manetteska said:

"Comics with Dave Stevens cover art are becoming highly sought after and are increasing in value!
There will never be a better time to buy this book!
Don't miss this amazing opportunity!"

My two cents are that dealers have not been hording DS stuff. Sometimes they may had DS books and then sold them. Values of those have been really stagnant for long time. Most have been in 5-30$ with couple Planet Comics 1 and  maybe Space Vixens in that 100$ range. I think soon DS stuff starts cooling off but maybe Planet Comics 1 could be a book that will settle in maybe 2-300$ and maybe slowly go up though the years because it is a iconic cover.

On 4/23/2024 at 1:11 PM, littledoom said:
On 4/23/2024 at 10:45 AM, manetteska said:

On 4/23/2024 at 10:47 AM, manetteska said:

Not really, I’ve never found them in the wild or for cheap

Interesting; and you're out there a lot.

I've seen tons of Vanguard #2. I'd say that, Cheval #1, and Alien Worlds are the ones I've seen the most.

On 4/19/2024 at 1:31 PM, 1Cool said:

Next you are going to tell me Stevens was better than Zeck.  Stevens was good but I'd rather collect Hughes or Campbell if I'm looking for girl art.  Regardless of your taste in artists there is no reason Stevens stuff became so hot after so many years.  They are not more hard to get then a few years ago.  Not better now than in 2021 but people are acting like they have never seen his stuff before.  The market is fickle so you have to embrace the shifts but I don't see why his stuff will remain as hot as they have been this year.

If Stevens spent his years drawing the girls of Marvel and DC the market would've been all over his books well before it started caring about Hughes and Campbell in the 2010s. 

On 4/19/2024 at 7:43 PM, Brock said:

Stevens IS better than Zeck.

Seriously, though, I think the question is not if Dave Stevens is a popular artist in the vein of Art Adams or even Neal Adams. In my mind, it's more like whether Stevens will command premiums the way that, say, Matt Baker does. 

People like Adams, but they obsessively track every obscure Baker cover, and drive the prices through the roof on all of them.

Zeck has a few iconic covers, but hardly all of them. Never understood why cap 286-287 are not in that "iconic" category except I guess they aren't GGA or Wolverine, yes, there's a little premium attached to them, but 286 in particular is such a great cover.

Edited by the blob

I've collected and sold off complete sets of Dave Stevens work a couple of times now. Used to stockpile them. The only book I never got was that Back Pages catalog, that thing is crazy rare. Of course it figures that there would be a CRAZY run up in prices during the time after I'd most recently sold my stock. It's nuts. I've been digging these out of dollar bins since the 90's, and while there has always been interest, there's never been interest like this. He was one of the best to ever pick up a brush, his work deserves all of the love in the world, but man I wish I'd kept another set for myself! Oh well, they're still out there, and prices will come back down.

On 4/24/2024 at 5:36 AM, F For Fake said:

prices will come back down

Let’s hope not, it’s not like his work deserves that. Usually comics that pop  were always dollar bin material that were optioned by some media production and never see the light of day

Edited by littledoom

On 4/24/2024 at 12:43 PM, littledoom said:

Let’s hope not, it’s not like his work deserves that. Usually comics that pop  were always dollar bin material that were optioned by some media production and never see the light of day

They'll likely come down not because of the quality of his work but as high grades start populating the census and the FOMO cools off.

On 4/24/2024 at 4:59 PM, Ryan. said:

They'll likely come down not because of the quality of his work but as high grades start populating the census and the FOMO cools off.

I've had a top 10 set on the census for many years, and I can't see these coming our of the woodwork like that, or at least not in high grade. For every common book (like Vanguard Illustrated or Alien Worlds) there are a bunch of scarce ones...

His original Rocketeer books are around more frequently, and often in high grade, but if the oft-rumoured Disney reboot comes together, all bets are off on these, too.