• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,850 posts in this topic

It is a sad reality that inquiring about an item shows interest, and interest translates to $$$.

Normal facet of business.

No it's not. It's a normal fact of collectibles, but not business.

Quiet pops, ygogolak and I are talking business. "So how many copies of biclops should I put you down for, 500, 600?"

lol, so back to the previous post, when something is in demand you keep charging the same price? Leaving money in the table.

Well actually, I can't think of any retailer that charges more something in demand. Case in point my buddy in Toronto last year was shopping for Ipads, and there was an advertised price at a chain but limited their maximum number to 1. He had to go through hell-and-high water (with proof of going to multiple different stores) to get a second copy, as it was a twin-xmas gift. It wouldn't be in the store's best interest to open up demand for multiple copies, and can you think how it would fly with the consumer if people arrived to find the price jacked up an extra 10% because of increased demand?

In terms of a dealer selling comics, out of pure-randomness two guys happen to want one obscure comic at the same place and time, is it fair to charge a premium when under the vast majority of circumstances only one buyer would be interested? Would that same dealer sell the book lower if no one wants it for an extended period of time - probably not.

I do shows all the time from attendance of 200 to 25K and have never EVER had anyone ask for a Livewire appearance. Ever. Not six months ago and not this weekend, where there were 5k people through the door.

I talked to one modern dealer at the Big Wow show in San Jose and the first thing he said about business was that everyone is asking for Livewire. So I dunno. I didn't get asked for it but I have mostly old comics.

I do shows all the time from attendance of 200 to 25K and have never EVER had anyone ask for a Livewire appearance. Ever. Not six months ago and not this weekend, where there were 5k people through the door.

I talked to one modern dealer at the Big Wow show in San Jose and the first thing he said about business was that everyone is asking for Livewire. So I dunno. I didn't get asked for it but I have mostly old comics.

the silicon valley has some more serious nerding than other parts of the country. i learned that by watching HBO

It is a sad reality that inquiring about an item shows interest, and interest translates to $$$.

Quiet pops, ygogolak and I are talking business. "So how many copies of biclops should I put you down for, 500, 600?"

I'll take 1,000!

tumblr_llmeq3EsCq1qharjqo1_500.png

lol, so back to the previous post, when something is in demand you keep charging the same price? Leaving money in the table.

Of course they do.

Why do you think Apple sells 10 bazillion iphones? Because they keep charging the same price, and they have contracts to make sure their retailers charge the same price, as well. Best Buy cannot jack up the price on iphones, or they don't get to sell them.

Only in collectibles do sellers shoot themselves in the foot by trying to squeeze every dime out of anything someone might possibly be interested in. If one person asks for Strawberry Shortcake #6, that only means that that one person wants it.

By the way....I had a dealer who thinks like you. I bought some nice 3-Pack Only Whitmans for $8 each (the two I slabbed ended up 9.8 after I pressed them.) He said he had more, so I told him I'd be interested. This was at the local con. I kept asking him, and by the time he finally found the rest, it turned out he only had 2-3, they were VF copies, and they were $30-$40.

Pass. Just lost a sale, and he'll likely never sell them at any price now.

Why do you think Apple sells 10 bazillion iphones? Because they keep charging the same price, and they have contracts to make sure their retailers charge the same price, as well. Best Buy cannot jack up the price on iphones, or they don't get to sell them.

Probably because they keep making them, so they actually have 10 bazillion to sell. That, and because people are suckers.

Only in collectibles do sellers shoot themselves in the foot by trying to squeeze every dime out of anything someone might possibly be interested in. If one person asks for Strawberry Shortcake #6, that only means that that one person wants it.

By the way....I had a dealer who thinks like you. I bought some nice 3-Pack Only Whitmans for $8 each (the two I slabbed ended up 9.8 after I pressed them.) He said he had more, so I told him I'd be interested. This was at the local con. I kept asking him, and by the time he finally found the rest, it turned out he only had 2-3, they were VF copies, and they were $30-$40.

You definitely know some interesting dealers. I have never met a dealer who thinks ONE inquiry = "High demand! Big money! Raise the price!" Actually... maybe one ...

Probably because they keep making them, so they actually have 10 bazillion to sell. That, and because people are suckers.

You definitely know some interesting dealers. I have never met a dealer who thinks ONE inquiry = "High demand! Big money! Raise the price!" Actually... maybe one ...

Apple makes and sells 10 zillion iphones not because people are suckers, it's because people want them!

Yeah, they want them because they are suckers!

But the main point is that they are continuously manufactured.

The point was that it's bad for business to raise the price of a comic based on one inquiry being seen as an increase in demand. That is bad business.

Well actually, I can't think of any retailer that charges more something in demand. Case in point my buddy in Toronto last year was shopping for Ipads, and there was an advertised price at a chain but limited their maximum number to 1. He had to go through hell-and-high water (with proof of going to multiple different stores) to get a second copy, as it was a twin-xmas gift. It wouldn't be in the store's best interest to open up demand for multiple copies, and can you think how it would fly with the consumer if people arrived to find the price jacked up an extra 10% because of increased demand?

In terms of a dealer selling comics, out of pure-randomness two guys happen to want one obscure comic at the same place and time, is it fair to charge a premium when under the vast majority of circumstances only one buyer would be interested? Would that same dealer sell the book lower if no one wants it for an extended period of time - probably not.

Of course they do.

You're both comparing the intial market offering to the secondary market, which is a whole different ball game. By this logic Walking Dead #1 should be sold at cover price. As Lazyboy pointed out, there is nothing "limited" about an electronic that can be duplicated over and over as the same. With collectibles the initial offering is made once offered to the public and that's it. To be fair, Spreads did state that this model only applies to collectibles. But....how do you think all of those Tickle me Elmo's and Playstation's end up on Craigslist for inflated prices every Christmas? Secondary Market, the initial market supply did not meet the demand.

With the comparison to an Apple product, can you image if they only made 1,000,000 iphones? That's it, done. They would be well over $1k each on the secondary market.

This only applies to collectibles thought, right? Well, not exactly. Think about when a professional service is offered, say an attorney. When they start out, learning the profession, they charge a nominal fee. In 20 years once they have the experience are they still charging the same fee? I really hope not.

That concludes Microeconomics 101 for the day. Test next Thursday.

Of course they do.

You're both comparing the intial market offering to the secondary market, which is a whole different ball game. By this logic Walking Dead #1 should be sold at cover price. As Lazyboy pointed out, there is nothing "limited" about an electronic that can be duplicated over and over as the same. With collectibles the initial offering is made once offered to the public and that's it. To be fair, Spreads did state that this model only applies to collectibles. But....how do you think all of those Tickle me Elmo's and Playstation's end up on Craigslist for inflated prices every Christmas? Secondary Market, the initial market supply did not meet the demand.

With the comparison to an Apple product, can you image if they only made 1,000,000 iphones? That's it, done. They would be well over $1k each on the secondary market.

This only applies to collectibles thought, right? Well, not exactly. Think about when a professional service is offered, say an attorney. When they start out, learning the profession, they charge a nominal fee. In 20 years once they have the experience are they still charging the same fee? I really hope not.

That concludes Microeconomics 101 for the day. Test next Thursday.

If you could buy yourself for what you're worth, and sell yourself for what you think you're worth, you'd be very wealthy. Finghanomics 101 for the day.

The point was that it's bad for business to raise the price of a comic based on one inquiry being seen as an increase in demand. That is bad business.

I'd never step foot in that shop again. Terrible business practices, yes.

My question is how doe we know that the dealer has only had one person ask for the books? I find it rare that only one person asks for a specific book when I am selling at shows. If they do, it is usually for an obscure/low demand independent book. If I have it with me by some chance, I sell it. If not, then when I check at home to dig it out I will inevitably look at the pricing on eBay and GPA just to make sure I am not missing something. Sometimes I have to price it up, and the buyers tend to pay the asking price regardless at the next show.

Also, in RMA's Whitman 3-pack case, the more someone requests a book the more likely I am to double check the pricing on it.

The hubris is strong in here.

Yes, it's the internet!

If you could buy yourself for what you're worth, and sell yourself for what you think you're worth, you'd be very wealthy. Finghanomics 101 for the day.

If you were made of spare ribs would you eat yourself?

hqdefault_zps331202bc.jpg

My question is how doe we know that the dealer has only had one person ask for the books? I find it rare that only one person asks for a specific book when I am selling at shows. If they do, it is usually for an obscure/low demand independent book. If I have it with me by some chance, I sell it. If not, then when I check at home to dig it out I will inevitably look at the pricing on eBay and GPA just to make sure I am not missing something. Sometimes I have to price it up, and the buyers tend to pay the asking price regardless at the next show.

Also, in RMA's Whitman 3-pack case, the more someone requests a book the more likely I am to double check the pricing on it.

Good point, also, the OP never said the dealer raised the price. He just said he put it on his wall. I think that I assumed and interjected that by putting it on the wall the price was raised.