• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,853 posts in this topic

Ebay copies of Swamp Thing 25 copies disappeared like that. People are reading the boards

They may be reading, but they aren't comprehending.

John Constantine DOES NOT appear in Saga of the Swamp Thing 25. He had not even been created when that issue came out.

It actually is him. Just one simple, silly panel.

ISVLQRu.jpg

Still, a fun book to collect when you happen across them.

I don't know if there is one but if 497 had a DC Universe UPC printing then it would be worth buying.

I don't think it did.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6248998

I don't believe it did either, but it does have a total of 3 printings, which you can tell from the variations in the Batman logo.

Ebay copies of Swamp Thing 25 copies disappeared like that. People are reading the boards

John Constantine DOES NOT appear in Saga of the Swamp Thing 25. He had not even been created when that issue came out.

ST37a_from_ST25.jpg

No, it's definitely Sting.

There's a long history of comic artists inserting celebrities/comic professionals/characters from other companies in the background of panels. This is just one example.

Future pick:

Justice League of America Annual #2

The cover is cool, but man, that was a dog of a story. :(

There's certainly no accounting for taste. But hey, I don't write the stories. I just notice the potential relevance considering established trends. :)

Future pick:

Justice League of America Annual #2

The cover is cool, but man, that was a dog of a story. :(

There's certainly no accounting for taste. But hey, I don't write the stories. I just notice the potential relevance considering established trends. :)

Totally, and understood. (thumbs u I just remember my disappointment when I finally read it back in the early 90s (pre-internet, when tracking down even a recent back issue could take you quite a while).

This book has always commanded good money and is rarely listed on eBay. There are usually no more than two copies ever listed at one time.

ST37a_from_ST25.jpg

There's a long history of comic artists inserting celebrities/comic professionals/characters from other companies in the background of panels. This is just one example.

Except its later confirmed that Constantine was following/spying on Abby prior to the swordfish accident and meeting Jason Blood.

At the time the book was published the creators may not have intended the Sting look-a-like to be Constantine but they eventually worked it into the story so that it became him.

ISVLQRu.jpg

Except its later confirmed that Constantine was following/spying on Abby prior to the swordfish accident and meeting Jason Blood.

At the time the book was published the creators may not have intended the Sting look-a-like to be Constantine but they eventually worked it into the story so that it became him.

Exactly!

The image was slipped in for fun. But it turned into a wonderful, entertaining ride with the exploites of John Constantine.

:cloud9:

Who "confirmed" it? When? It has been a little while since I read Moore's Swamp Thing, but I don't recall that.

This book has always commanded good money and is rarely listed on eBay. There are usually no more than two copies ever listed at one time.

And it is generally missing from runs in the wild . . . even runs that have #37 in them. :popcorn:

Who "confirmed" it? When? It has been a little while since I read Moore's Swamp Thing, but I don't recall that.

Nor I, but if anything, the reference is miniscule and retcon at best. :gossip:

As someone who thoroughly enjoys it when things like BA 12 happen to comics and conventional wisdom is changed by force I just cannot bring myself to believe that the character in that shirt is John Constantine.

In Books of Magic #2 Constantine introduces himself to Jason Blood who doesn't remember meeting Constantine before. Constantine also mentions how he previously had followed Blood for weeks at a time in the past and never learned anything about him.

There were quite a few discussions in this area of the forum before there was 'money in the age' with Copper Age books taking off.

Wizard Magazine

November, 1993

Where did the character John Constantine come from?

Basically, when I take over something as a writer, I always try to work as closely as I can with the artists on the book, so I immediately did my best to strike up a friendship with Steve Bissette and John Totleben. I asked them what they would like to do in Swamp Thing . They both sent me reams of material. Things that they had always wanted to do in Swamp Thing, but never thought they would get away with. I incorporated this into my scheme of things, and tried to pin it all together.

One of those early notes was they both wanted to do a character that looked like Sting. I think DC is terrified that Sting will sue them, although Sting has seen the character and commented in Rolling Stone that he thought it was great. He was very flattered to have a comic character who looked like him, but DC gets nervous about these things. They started to eradicate all traces of references in the introduction of the early Swamp Thing books to John Constantine's resemblance to Sting. But I can state categorically that the character only existed because Steve and John wanted to do a character that looked like Sting. Having been given that challenge, how could I fit Sting into Swamp Thing ? I have an idea that most of the mystics in comics are generally older people, very austere, very proper, very middle class in a lot of ways. They are not at all functional on the street. It struck me that it might be interesting for once to do an almost blue-collar warlock. Somebody who was streetwise, working class, and from a different background than the standard run of comic book mystics. Constantine started to grow out of that.

One interesting anecdote that I should point out is that one day, I was in Westminster in London -- this was after we had introduced the character -- and I was sitting in a sandwich bar. All of a sudden, up the stairs came John Constantine. He was wearing the trenchcoat, a short cut -- he looked -- no, he didn't even look exactly like Sting. He looked exactly like John Constantine. He looked at me, stared me straight in the eyes, smiled, nodded almost conspiratorially, and then just walked off around the corner to the other part of the snack bar. I sat there and thought, should I go around that corner and see if he is really there, or should I just eat my sandwich and leave? I opted for the latter; I thought it was the safest. I'm not making any claims to anything. I'm just saying that it happened. Strange little story.

So they meant from the beginning to make this a Sting lookalike, though initially they slipped the character into the storyline. From Moore's description, it would appear there were a shot of concern there could be legal action if they made it clear who that is in the one panel.

A site that has been around for a little while now that does a great job of outlining the history of John Constantine and maintaining an index of his appearances is The Ultimate Hellblazer Index.

There is some great reading to be had there.

I don't know if there is one but if 497 had a DC Universe UPC printing then it would be worth buying.

I don't think it did.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6248998

It did not.

PS. I have TWO Batman #497 9.9s that are sitting in 9.8 cases. They are flawless except for the tiniest flecks at the bottom (not top) of the spine. The overlay really protected the books...and, these copies don't even have the overlay indentation so common with books like this.

Those really torqued me, and finally convinced me to give up sending in ultra high grade books until and if CGC ever gets over their jealous guarding of those grades.

Oh, and what is real lunacy is that Ennis said "oh, no, that baby, that happened to be the result of a demon and an angel, that I into'd in Hellblazer #59-61, oh, no, that's DIFFERENT from the one in Preacher, which also happens to be the result of a demon and an angel."

meh

Oh, and what is real lunacy is that Ennis said "oh, no, that baby, that happened to be the result of a demon and an angel, that I into'd in Hellblazer #59-61, oh, no, that's DIFFERENT from the one in Preacher, which also happens to be the result of a demon and an angel."

meh

+1

Willing suspension of disbelief can only go so far.