• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,820 posts in this topic

There is a general understanding, that there is a huge difference between a character's first appearance, and the first time the image of a character appears in print, right?

I mean, for 99.9% of us at least?

99.999999999% - All of us except MrWeen and the guy who just listed SA #4 on eBay for $99. :insane:

There is a general understanding, that there is a huge difference between a character's first appearance, and the first time the image of a character appears in print, right?

99.999999999% - All of us except MrWeen and the guy who just listed SA #4 on eBay for $99. :insane:

I mean... it's a bit ridiculous, right?

I am all for collector weirdness. If I want to collect all things Thanos, SURE I want to pick up that issue of Marvel Age, why not? I see no problem with simply pointing out weird/oddball stuff like that.

Just don't try to point to, a non story, "first time the image of a character sees print" and try to call it a "first appearance". Just pointing to the literal definition of the word "first", and the word "appearance", does not an argument make.

This hobby, which is built on people reading stories, is mostly interested in characters that appear, in stories. This is what a "first appearance" means, in comic collecting.

There is nothing wrong with collecting the first time the image of a character appears in print. Nothing at all. If it floats your boat, buy every Malibu Sun 13 that your heart desires. Just understand what you are talking about.

The first time the image of a character appears in print. NOT the first appearance of the character.

lol Good luck to them...

DC is about to go on a rampage introducing new female characters to thier new 52 because.... they sell comics.

Is there a source for this?

Justice league Adventures 13 (First All Star) no copies remaining, and only ones left are in full sets. I was able to score a nice grade at the LCS and this will be the next Livewire with DC introducing her to 52 this year.

I can't tell if this post is supposed to be serious or a joke.

Every book that can be found in the $1 bins listed here is a total joke until proven otherwise.

:o

I see two other copies listed at $79 and $29 so we will see how this one plays out.

I am all for collector weirdness. If I want to collect all things Thanos, SURE I want to pick up that issue of Marvel Age, why not? I see no problem with simply pointing out weird/oddball stuff like that.

Just don't try to point to, a non story, "first time the image of a character sees print" and try to call it a "first appearance". Just pointing to the literal definition of the word "first", and the word "appearance", does not an argument make.

This hobby, which is built on people reading stories, is mostly interested in characters that appear, in stories. This is what a "first appearance" means, in comic collecting.

There is nothing wrong with collecting the first time the image of a character appears in print. Nothing at all. If it floats your boat, buy every Malibu Sun 13 that your heart desires. Just understand what you are talking about.

The first time the image of a character appears in print. NOT the first appearance of the character.

Though I would never use a Thanos appearance in Marvel Age as an example when discussing oddball collectibles I can assure you that I understand what I am talking about. Go take a look at the Overstreet definition or a litany of other definitions. I have yet to see one that lists the need to be part of the story as a first appearance requirement. In fact Overstreet defines a first appearance as: Same as debut. And they define debut as the first time a character appears anywhere. Yea you read that right...anywhere.

By the way it looks like the market has already spoken about Malibu 13, it regularly sells for significantly more than Spawn 1. For those who type the word market in response to my plea for historical accuracy then what say you concerning a book like Malibu 13? The point is you can't have it both ways.

Hey bud I collect weirdness too!

IMG_3182_zpsfc4eb972.jpg

I don't know what you all drink when reading Matt Kindt comics but I go with banned Lokos.

IMG_3185_zpse93081ae.jpg

Edited by MrWeen

:o

I see two other copies listed at $79 and $29 so we will see how this one plays out.

Mine's going up tonight! :insane:lol

All Justice League Adventures 13 FS on ebay are now sold.

So who is All Star and why should I care?

Seriously, didn't even pull this title out of the longboxes, never mind #13. lol

Seriously, didn't even pull this title out of the longboxes, never mind #13. lol

At first I was skeptical but Justice League 13 could be this weekend's hot comic. I forgot all about New Guardians 2. It seems do do well and I can't remember that cocaine villain appearing anywhere else.

That's the beauty of why this comic is the perfect storm, she's coming to New 52 this year, and as long as it is also not a single issue, this will be the must have book if the character is incorporated into a team. DC is taking the reigns with female heroes & villains and it is paying off.

Every book that can be found in the $1 bins listed here is a total joke until proven otherwise.

No. Every book mentioned here without a single legitimate reason given for a potential increase in demand is a joke until proven otherwise.

It was bad enough when people were comparing Livewire to Harley. Now you have someone comparing All-Star to Livewire AND Harley? This isn't sound reasoning, its nonsense.

A character's debut in the new 52 is all it takes for a copper or modern 1st appearance issue to fetch 50, 75, 100 dollars on Ebay now? Get real. This is modern speculation pump and dump migrating into copper books.

Batwing has his own series ffs, nobody cares about his first appearance.

Spoiler made her debut in the new 52 months ago, a character with an actual following that demanded her return no less, and Tec 647 hasn't done much of anything.

At first I was skeptical but Justice League 13 could be this weekend's hot comic. I forgot all about New Guardians 2. It seems do do well and I can't remember that cocaine villain appearing anywhere else.

New Guardians 2 fell like a rock. All smoke and (cocaine) mirrors.

I was at C2E2 and there was one on a guys wall for $40.

IT WAS ON HIS WALL.

I even asked him what was up with it, and he said "I looked it up and its selling for that, I'm surprised too". lol

But All Star is in the new 52 or something?

That's the beauty of why this comic is the perfect storm, she's coming to New 52 this year, and as long as it is also not a single issue, this will be the must have book if the character is incorporated into a team. DC is taking the reigns with female heroes & villains and it is paying off.

No. Every book mentioned here without a single legitimate reason given for a potential increase in demand is a joke until proven otherwise.

It was bad enough when people were comparing Livewire to Harley. Now you have someone comparing All-Star to Livewire AND Harley? This isn't sound reasoning, its nonsense.

A character's debut in the new 52 is all it takes for a copper or modern 1st appearance issue to fetch 50, 75, 100 dollars on Ebay now? Get real. This is modern speculation pump and dump migrating into copper books.

Spoiler made her debut in the new 52 months ago, a character with an actual following that demanded her return no less, and Tec 647 hasn't done much of anything.

we can't always choose which 1st appearances will or won't be speculated SUCCESSFULLY on, or which will hit, or which new series will affect the market for whatever reason. Sometimes people guess right, sometimes wrong, but that doesn't mean that there was or wasn't a sound reason for making the initial guess.

Just like personal comic preferences, personal speculation preferences vary widely from person to person. Its certainly not an exact science, and there's MORE than enough occasions where NO ONE can explain what happened with regard to the price of a comic.

we can't always choose which 1st appearances will or won't be speculated SUCCESSFULLY on, or which will hit, or which new series will affect the market for whatever reason. Sometimes people guess right, sometimes wrong, but that doesn't mean that there was or wasn't a sound reason for making the initial guess.

Just like personal comic preferences, personal speculation preferences vary widely from person to person. Its certainly not an exact science, and there's MORE than enough occasions where NO ONE can explain what happened with regard to the price of a comic.

Has any other comic book published between 1980-2000 experienced an 8900% (or is it higher now?) increase in value in a little over two months?

I think darkstar is spot on; this appears to be pump and dumping.

Edited by Plantman

It's nonsense because you say it is? Give us a legitimate reason why, Truth is, no one knows what is going to take off and what isn't. You can't say "No, that shouldn't be like that" or This is really good, this should take off" Look at reality TV..Its the worst television the world has ever seen, but people are addicted to garbage

I don't believe that this is what it is, let's face it the hobby has been booming since the movies have been produced properly the past decade. The hobby was nearly decapitated after the 90's, and has become not only collectible for collectors like myself, but for jumping on points for the next generation. My 2.5 year old already can tell you the name of all the avengers in the movie and hes not even 3. He loves Spiderman and not from seeing my comics, but because he is on everything for toddlers from clothes to toys etc... The hobby is finally becoming recognized by more then my nerd self, and it is being appreciated by those that would never have considered giving it a try. Walking dead TV show spurred new readers to the comic who originally thought it was always a tv show first. Cosplay at cons is being recognized by tons of online media, and contest with great prizes have been given away at many cons. The thing is Comics are at an all time high, and collectors / speculators are buying what they can when they can.

Sure Justice league adventures 13. superman adventures 5 and batman adventures 12 have suddenly become hot, but that is the nature of the business. What is hot one day may be cold the next, however sometimes hot becomes blistering and I personally don't want to miss out.

Though I would never use a Thanos appearance in Marvel Age as an example when discussing oddball collectibles I can assure you that I understand what I am talking about. Go take a look at the Overstreet definition or a litany of other definitions. I have yet to see one that lists the need to be part of the story as a first appearance requirement. In fact Overstreet defines a first appearance as: Same as debut. And they define debut as the first time a character appears anywhere. Yea you read that right...anywhere.

By the way it looks like the market has already spoken about Malibu 13, it regularly sells for significantly more than Spawn 1. For those who type the word market in response to my plea for historical accuracy then what say you concerning a book like Malibu 13? The point is you can't have it both ways.

Hey bud I collect weirdness too!

IMG_3182_zpsfc4eb972.jpg

I don't know what you all drink when reading Matt Kindt comics but I go with banned Lokos.

IMG_3185_zpse93081ae.jpg

1. No one cares what an Overstreet definition, or what the myriad of dictionaries say about those words. Period.

There are first appearances, and there is the first time an image of a character appears in print. Feel free to chase the latter, you are wrong if you believe otherwise.

You will continue believing what you believe, and everyone will keep telling you you are wrong. THE END.

2. I find it funny that you bring up that the "Market" has spoken regarding Malibu Sun 13. If I may quote you... "Market prices do not concern me in this matter".

FYI...it doesn't command a premium, because it's the "true first appearance" of Spawn. The only reason it commands a premium, is because the number of Spawn #1's out there, DWARF the number of Malibu Sun 13's. (probably because people don't usually hold onto advertisements) If the Malibu Sun 13 had even close to the numbers of Spawn 1 in the market, everyone would rightfully ignore MS13.

For the record, I do consider collecting an advertisement which was made to promote a collectible, a bit oddball...but that's ok. ;)

I was at C2E2 and there was one on a guys wall for $40.

IT WAS ON HIS WALL.

I even asked him what was up with it, and he said "I looked it up and its selling for that, I'm surprised too". lol

But All Star is in the new 52 or something?

As of now, All-Star has made one appearance in comics - a decade ago in a non-canonical series based on a cartoon. :facepalm: Somebody please tell me she was at least on TV for a few episodes.