• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,854 posts in this topic

I went looking for all the books people were fighting over today, but all i found was 1 superman adventures 5 and a half dozen hulk 271s :(

I went looking for all the books people were fighting over today, but all i found was 1 superman adventures 5 and a half dozen hulk 271s :(

Not a bad days's work . . . :hi:

Malibu Sun #13 has a few things going for it (in no order of importance):

1. The size closely resembles a comic book.

2. It has practically the same cover as Spawn #1, but the eyes are red (think "prototype design").

3. It says "SPAWN" on the front cover.

4. The back cover features Spawn.

5. It's much scarcer than the tons of Spawn #1's floating around.

All of these things combine to make that book desirable to own (I do not own one). Is it a first appearance? Not in story, but it's hard to ignore the same cover art...

It's pretty common that the cover art is released before the book. If we are using that as a judge for 1st appearance, I see why this conversation is still going on.

I'd be interested in seeing some examples of something similar to the Malibu Sun #13 - Spawn #1 comparison. But if you're just talking about cover art located on a page inside a book somewhere, then you've conveniently decided to ignore most of my post to try and prove a point. It doesn't work that way. (tsk)

Here. Just an ad for The Crow. A different category than the preview/ small ad preview. Cult character, full back cover

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEADWORLD-10-VARIANT-THE-CROW-1st-Appearance-RARE-Pre-Caliber-Presents-1-NM-/161301247082?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item258e4db46a

I wouldn't consider that a first appearance since it doesn't have the same art, nor is it on the front cover. It's little more than a "got milk?" ad, in my opinion.

Ask the forumite that spent over $4,000 for that cover because amongst hardcore Crow fans they appreciate this more than you may realize.

- It is not a preview of any upcoming artwork

- It is a full-page painting versus a tiny mention in a preview magazine

- It never shows up in the series

There are quite a few Crownuts that would love to be Comix4fun and own that piece.

Well, to each their own. I know that some collectors chase ads, prototypes, or any earliest mention of a character. That's fine.

What I was trying to point out is why Malibu Sun #13 could be considered an actual first appearance, as opposed to just an advertisement such as The Crow in Deadworld #10.

That "ad" was Caliber launching their entire company with their first new character in a series that already had people buzzing long before it hit shelves. It's the first time the character ever appeared in publication. It's not a "mention" or "prototype" is was specifically crafted to launch the company and the series. They had a lot of eggs in the Crow basket and this piece was a launching point for all of it.

When you've got a character that exploded the way The Crow did, and continues to be in print, and developed for Movies/TV 25 years later, the launching point for all of it, the exact point of origin, is pretty important.

But it's still just an ad. On the back of a comic that I've never heard of until today. Whether the title and/or company succeeded or flopped has no bearing on the relevance of the appearance (regarding the points as I previously described). Malibu Sun #13 comes closer to an actual first appearance because it combines a lot of factors.

I never said that your OA or the back cover ad of Deadworld #10 wasn't important. I only stated that I didn't think it should be considered a "first appearance" resembling a cameo in comics, for reasons previously stated.

Got milk?

Got delivered yesterday.

Deadworldbackcovercomp_zps7f7eeb58.jpg

Eh.

Nice artwork, but I can think of better ways to spend 4 grand. It's just not my cup of... milk?

lol

I have a feeling the art market would blow your hair back if you flinch at $4k for the first time anyone ever saw a character in print that went on to 4 feature films, a TV series, a fifth feature film in the works, and endless millions in merchandising along with 25 consecutive years in publication.

Someone paid over $650k for a McFarlane cover with Spider-man nut-punching the Hulk.

There aren't a lot better ways to spend $4k in comic art.

Why are you taking this so personally? I know that you own the OA and like The Crow and all, but relax. I'm not attacking you or your art. I wasn't even the one to bring it up in the first place. Bosco showed me a picture, so I said that "I" could think of better ways to spend 4k. I even said that it's not something I'd care to collect.

I am aware of what some OA fetches at auctions. It just doesn't interest me much.

I never said that spending 4 grand would be limited to comic OA, now did I? (And when did I "flinch?")

We were just having a fun debate. I only joined the conversation because I find the case of Malibu Sun #13 and Spawn #1 intriguing.

Okay? :)

Got milk?

Got delivered yesterday.

Eh.

Nice artwork, but I can think of better ways to spend 4 grand. It's just not my cup of... milk?

lol

I have a feeling the art market would blow your hair back if you flinch at $4k for the first time anyone ever saw a character in print that went on to 4 feature films, a TV series, a fifth feature film in the works, and endless millions in merchandising along with 25 consecutive years in publication.

Someone paid over $650k for a McFarlane cover with Spider-man nut-punching the Hulk.

:applause: That's an amazing piece to have and every dollar well spent! The original art of the 1st Crow picture ever (*ahem, that's EVER!!!) published $4K sounds like a steal when you consider people are spending near that much for some recent Walking Dead pages. Congrats and great job of tracking that down. Again, I applaud you :applause:

2. It has practically the same cover as Spawn #1, but the eyes are red (think "prototype design").

All of these things combine to make that book desirable to own (I do not own one). Is it a first appearance? Not in story, but it's hard to ignore the same cover art...

It's pretty common that the cover art is released before the book. If we are using that as a judge for 1st appearance, I see why this conversation is still going on.

I'd be interested in seeing some examples of something similar to the Malibu Sun #13 - Spawn #1 comparison. But if you're just talking about cover art located on a page inside a book somewhere, then you've conveniently decided to ignore most of my post to try and prove a point. It doesn't work that way. (tsk)

Here. Just an ad for The Crow. A different category than the preview/ small ad preview. Cult character, full back cover

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DEADWORLD-10-VARIANT-THE-CROW-1st-Appearance-RARE-Pre-Caliber-Presents-1-NM-/161301247082?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item258e4db46a

I wouldn't consider that a first appearance since it doesn't have the same art, nor is it on the front cover. It's little more than a "got milk?" ad, in my opinion.

Ask the forumite that spent over $4,000 for that cover because amongst hardcore Crow fans they appreciate this more than you may realize.

There are quite a few Crownuts that would love to be Comix4fun and own that piece.

Well, to each their own. I know that some collectors chase ads, prototypes, or any earliest mention of a character. That's fine.

What I was trying to point out is why Malibu Sun #13 could be considered an actual first appearance, as opposed to just an advertisement such as The Crow in Deadworld #10.

That "ad" was Caliber launching their entire company with their first new character in a series that already had people buzzing long before it hit shelves. It's the first time the character ever appeared in publication. It's not a "mention" or "prototype" is was specifically crafted to launch the company and the series. They had a lot of eggs in the Crow basket and this piece was a launching point for all of it.

When you've got a character that exploded the way The Crow did, and continues to be in print, and developed for Movies/TV 25 years later, the launching point for all of it, the exact point of origin, is pretty important.

But it's still just an ad. On the back of a comic that I've never heard of until today. Whether the title and/or company succeeded or flopped has no bearing on the relevance of the appearance (regarding the points as I previously described). Malibu Sun #13 comes closer to an actual first appearance because it combines a lot of factors.

I never said that your OA or the back cover ad of Deadworld #10 wasn't important. I only stated that I didn't think it should be considered a "first appearance" resembling a cameo in comics, for reasons previously stated.

Got milk?

Got delivered yesterday.

Eh.

lol

Why are you taking this so personally? I know that you own the OA and like The Crow and all, but relax. I'm not attacking you or your art. I wasn't even the one to bring it up in the first place. Bosco showed me a picture, so I said that "I" could think of better ways to spend 4k. I even said that it's not something I'd care to collect.

I am aware of what some OA fetches at auctions. It just doesn't interest me much.

I never said that spending 4 grand would be limited to comic OA, now did I? (And when did I "flinch?")

We were just having a fun debate. I only joined the conversation because I find the case of Malibu Sun #13 and Spawn #1 intriguing.

Oh, I'm not taking it personally. If I were taking it personally all the angry smileys would come out. It's just that I've got about 25 years into the whole OA thing, and I've seen it all. It sounded like a dismissal of the piece and it's place in Caliber/Comic history. That's where I felt I had to fill in with some info.

It's not his "1st appearance" in a story sense, it's just the first time anyone, anywhere, saw this character in print. So it's a hair split. In this case, I just knew the history of the company and this was their launch vehicle and it wound up being wildly successful and incredibly resilient over time. It's rare to be able to trace all that success to the first image every published.

So it's important but it's not a story page.

read above. Its the back of deadworld 10. Any other use was a subsequent reprinting

Its posts like this and people why I act the way I do on here.

Well no sheeeet sherlock, the point I was trying to make is that the image was also used for other things which also helps justify the 4K price.

read above. Its the back of deadworld 10. Any other use was a subsequent reprinting

Well no sheeeet sherlock, the point I was trying to make is that the image was also used for other things which also helps justify the 4K price.

What the image was intended for is what makes it famous. Not the later reprint of the image.

Deadworld 10 (like Chris pointed out) is the 1st Caliber comic book, and the 1st image of The Crow. It sure helped that it is also a fantastic piece of artwork.

I understood. :foryou:

It was more than $4k though. :blush:

But I've been offered double what I paid. lol

Got milk?

Got delivered yesterday.

Eh.

lol

Oh, I'm not taking it personally. If I were taking it personally all the angry smileys would come out. It's just that I've got about 25 years into the whole OA thing, and I've seen it all. It sounded like a dismissal of the piece and it's place in Caliber/Comic history. That's where I felt I had to fill in with some info.

It's not his "1st appearance" in a story sense, it's just the first time anyone, anywhere, saw this character in print. So it's a hair split. In this case, I just knew the history of the company and this was their launch vehicle and it wound up being wildly successful and incredibly resilient over time. It's rare to be able to trace all that success to the first image every published.

So it's important but it's not a story page.

Okay, good. Because then I might have to start taking it personally. And then neither one of us would stop and the thread would go poof!. :grin:

But seriously, I didn't intend for the comment to be interpreted in a negative way. I thought that adding "it's just not my cup of... milk?" would've assured that. Let's consider it a misunderstanding.

I also didn't realize how important the piece is. That being said, I still wouldn't spend $4k on it (unless I intended to resell it). :insane:

The artwork is pretty good, though. Nice piece. (thumbs u

Like I said, if you can't back up the book you're pimping then you're just trying to push a turd sandwich on the market. The books Whetteon posted are all established books some of which are also tied to recent or upcoming movie properties.

Is there a Livewire movie coming out Kevin? Oh wait she doesn't need a movie, she's the next Harley Quinn! :eyeroll:

It's finally been established what we are allowed to classify as worthy books. Only those books that have firmly established characters and/or are appearing in movies. There is no room for any new speculation or market fluctuation on anything otherwise.

Any thoughts on what an ASM 300 double cover would bring in CGC 9.6 or possibly 9.8? Bought one this weekend from my LCS and I am going to fast track it soon. It was on consignment and wasn't labeled as a double cover. Luckily I took it out of the bag and noticed it.

I know the book is pretty hot with the movie possibly in the works.

I found my ASM #129 CGC 9.6 double cover the same way but through a local seller. He was a reseller so I'm 99% sure he didn't know what he had either. And I wouldn't have known had I not taken it out and looked through it like you did.

I seriously think this happens quite often with double covers. Every one that I have found started with holding the book, and instinctively thinking, "this doesn't feel right - it's too heavy". Often, while not stuck together, the two covers have not been separated (possibly ever). :grin:

I bought a Thor #337 that the seller didn't realize was a double cover. I didn't realize it either until I subbed it and it came back notated that way.

Any thoughts on what an ASM 300 double cover would bring in CGC 9.6 or possibly 9.8? Bought one this weekend from my LCS and I am going to fast track it soon. It was on consignment and wasn't labeled as a double cover. Luckily I took it out of the bag and noticed it.

I know the book is pretty hot with the movie possibly in the works.

October!!! you are the luckiest guy I know. Or maybe it is skill there does seem to be an outstanding confluence of good deals coming your way.

Has got to command at least a 30% premium.

It's finally been established what we are allowed to classify as worthy books. Only those books that have firmly established characters and/or are appearing in movies. There is no room for any new speculation or market fluctuation on anything otherwise.

Instead of continuing to speak down to me perhaps you should read what I've already stated many times.

If you have no solid reason to be naming a book as one to watch then you shouldn't be mentioning it in this thread. An asinine comparison to Harley Quinn is not a valid reason for a book to be speculated upon, especially at prices that far outpace the character's current popularity and demand. I'm still waiting for someone, anyone to give me a reason as to why Superman Adventures 5 is worth even close to three figures and why the current prices on eBay are an accurate estimate of its current value.

Just blindly throwing a book out there in this thread, on this forum, and elsewhere on the internet isn't a helpful tip or an honest recommendation, its just somebody seeing an opportunity to pump and dump something - taking advantage of its limited listings on eBay and perceived scarcity in the wild.

Kevin76, among others, has demonstrated a pattern of recommending books to watch/buy for no reason at all. He just hints at them or casually mentions them and moves on. He said to pick up Action Comics 894, no reason given. He did it here and he did it over in modern. One would have to assume its because he believes its the first appearance of Death in DC continuity, but that isn't correct. That book has no significance other than having a variant cover. Recommending it is not good advice, but people will jump at any opportunity to make money and so nobody questions the advice they are given. That isn't to say all of his recommendations are turds; he'll be the first person to mention the winners he picked. Nobody is going to be right all the time, but there is a big difference mentioning a book with reason and being wrong about it and mentioning a book without reason in the hopes that you can get some sales out of it.

Whetteon's list from his website was mostly books tied to movie announcements or already established books like the Killing Joke. Seeing as how there is an established trend showing an increase in demand for meaningful (think Apocalypse, not Blink) first appearances tied to movie announcements/releases his list makes sense and is easy to rationalize.

I'm still waiting for someone, anyone to give me a reason as to why Superman Adventures 5 is worth even close to three figures and why the current prices on eBay are an accurate estimate of its current value.

The reason has already been given. Livewire is being touted as the next potential Harley Quinn. The fact that you don't like that line of reasoning doesn't invalidate it.

I don't understand the second part of your sentence. It's worth three figures because the market deems it worth three figures. If arm's length transactions on eBay aren't accurate estimates of current value, what would be? Your opinion of how other people should value their comics?

I'm still waiting for someone, anyone to give me a reason as to why Superman Adventures 5 is worth even close to three figures and why the current prices on eBay are an accurate estimate of its current value.

The reason has already been given. Livewire is being touted as the next potential Harley Quinn. The fact that you don't like that line of reasoning doesn't invalidate it.

I don't understand the second part of your sentence. It's worth three figures because the market deems it worth three figures. If arm's length transactions on eBay aren't accurate estimates of current value, what would be? Your opinion of how other people should value their comics?

Again it has nothing to do with my personal thoughts on the character. It has everything to do with paying realized prices when that potential hasn't actually been achieved yet. 100 dollars raw for SA 5? Why? A year ago that was what BA 12 was selling for, well after Harley had already arrived.

Somebody casually mentions All-Star and now she's the next Livewire, the next Harley Quinn and its time to start grading her first, and only appearance, and deem it difficult to find in high grade? That is asinine and its insanity.

Again it has nothing to do with my personal thoughts on the character. It has everything to do with paying realized prices when that potential hasn't actually been achieved yet. 100 dollars raw for SA 5? Why? A year ago that was what BA 12 was selling for, well after Harley had already arrived.

Somebody casually mentions All-Star and now she's the next Livewire, the next Harley Quinn and its time to start grading her first, and only appearance, and deem it difficult to find in high grade? That is asinine and its insanity.

Why is Hulk 340 a $300 book in 9.8? Pretty Cover.

There are other reasons that are far more crazy as to why a book commands 3 figures.

You seem to be having a hard time wrapping your head around this concept, How old are you? 22? 23?

Livewire is being touted as the next potential Harley Quinn. The fact that you don't like that line of reasoning doesn't invalidate it.

And yes that it is invalid, as there is no basis for that argument. The similarities go no further than both are female characters with first appearances in the DCAU. The book is propped up on nothing more than internet hype. Show me evidence that I'm wrong and I'll admit to it. A good way to do this is by demonstrating an honest female interest in the character or with sales of her other appearances beyond SA 5. With Harley I would say anywhere from 40 to 60 percent of my sales are to females and I could give you a list of probably 30 books where she appears that are sought after.