• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,870 posts in this topic

Deathstroke #1 (1991) NM- SOLD for $63 http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=27166580

Graded?

Ive been moving this book raw for $20-25 for over a year now.. Not often but still.. Not hard to believe that it would catch fire soon.. Zack's cover is just badass

i feel like i have a dozen of these somewhere as my old LCS dumped them in the 25 cent box at some point in the late 90s...i'm sure i didn't put boards in them so they're all VGs now

Deathstroke #1 (1991) NM- SOLD for $63 http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=27166580

Graded?

Ive been moving this book raw for $20-25 for over a year now.. Not often but still.. Not hard to believe that it would catch fire soon.. Zack's cover is just badass

i feel like i have a dozen of these somewhere as my old LCS dumped them in the 25 cent box at some point in the late 90s...i'm sure i didn't put boards in them so they're all VGs now

Consign them with Divad

Graded?

Consign them with Divad

I never thought this book would hit that kind of number raw. Passed on it many times under $5. doh!

In other news, here is a good example of a horrible listing for the seller:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281594316380&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

Graded?

Consign them with Divad

I never thought this book would hit that kind of number raw. Passed on it many times under $5. doh!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=281594316380&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

I was iffy on buying this, but since they're throwing in 4 random 'NAM comics, I'm all in.

what about new mutants annual? is that non-asian version?

Captain Britain 8 is first Betsy Braddock

New mutants annual 2 is first Psylocke (where she takes the name)

Xmen 256 is first 'New Psylocke' aka 'Asian Psylocke' which is the psylocke most of us know now.

All of the cheap copies of CB #8 got sucked up 3 years ago so everyone who missed that boat is pumping the X-Men 256 as the book to get

In the CB series Betsy uses her powers, it was written by Claremont. He knew what he was doing

Graded?

Consign them with Divad

I was iffy on buying this, but since they're throwing in 4 random 'NAM comics, I'm all in.

I'd rather read Nam than anything with Venom. But I'm pretty sure I can get Nam cheaper than this, so I'll pass.

Graded?

Consign them with Divad

he starts with ASM300 and ends withh ... 'Nam..

I was scrolling down the pics and just waited for Tupperware and office supplies to start appearing

That's buyer beware. If someone comes into my shop and seems uninformed, I going to INFORM them. Not take advantage of their ignorance by selling them a lemon.

Nobody said to sell them a lemon. That's the extreme opposite of recommending they know the hobby they are now playing in. But if that is how you see it, so be it.

Not the same thing as a con. These are the people who actually CREATE the comics, for goodness sake. They are selling something with a premium of interest - their signature and their time.

Ahhh. But let's go down the path that you have taken. So someone in the know realizes how easy it is to get these signatures. Find the right show, bring the right amount of cash, and walk away with loads of books that then you tell people they can purchase the 'HARD TO FIND - RARE - STAN LEE' signature.

How can we have these people taken advantage of so easily? There should be signs hanging up 'STAN LEE WILL SIGN YOUR BANANA PEEL FOR A BUCK'.

Not the same as trying to sell a PREVIEWS as a first appearance.

Sure it is. Sellers do it now all over Ebay. Especially when they can get Stan Lee to sign a DC comic or something else that has nothing to do with him, and now state it is a one-of-a-kind item. All because Stan said 'Where do you need that signature?'

I've honestly never met anyone who said, "Hey Jim Lee sold me this book with his autograph for $40, I'm OUT."

How about all those 90's collectors and speculators that ordered directly from Image the rare, limited distribution, personally signed Jim Lee WILD C.A.T.S. #1's? Of course later on they said they were out - they tried to sell either to feed their collecting habit, or to turn a profit, and found out there were loads of this material going around. Not one word had to be uttered, because their financial disappearance made all the statement necessary.

Though with the cardies that were buying up loads of books leading to inflated distribution numbers, better they did leave. It was a falsely inflated market.

Heard from plenty of people who thought Death of Superman would pay their kids way through college.

And Bloodshot 1, and Turok 1, and X-Force 1, and X-Men 1, and ....

Very odd times indeed.

Buyer Beware.

What you're saying is, people should know: DON'T walk into a comic book shop or go to a comic book show, WITHOUT being completely educated as far as what to buy and especially NOT buy, because you could get ripped off very easily. Too bad, you lose.

If that is the way you read it. Meanwhile, we have threads here about every 1st appearance worth talking about, every investment worth making immediately, repeated posts about latest sales, and loads of historic details as well to tell the good and the not so good about our hobby.

Are you saying these new collectors and readers shouldn't do research as well as being treated fairly? That's not very safe advice. How could you set people up like that for potential failure?

Better to suggest not only they engage with sellers they can trust in not hyping them on the latest fad, but also point them to all the resources that are out there to educate them. Or do you think that research may not help in getting more immersed in our hobby?

Not a very welcome message to new comers.

Do you mean 'avoid reading about our hobby'? I totally agree. Not only should they engage with sellers that they can trust in presenting a fair statement about their comics, but also get to know that hobby as a parallel effort.

I'm surprised you don't see the value in research.

Sorry, I'm not going to blame the potential customers for deciding NOT to come in because of a message like that, I'm going to blame the creeps who are making the market that way.

The answer to this statement is 'it depends'. If they take the time to engage in the hobby, ask questions, listen, read and yes - also buy from sellers that treat them fairly - it's a safe bet they won't get burned.

I would never encourage someone to jump into any collectible hobby and not point them towards the right resources to also protect themselves through knowledge. That is just a dangerous approach otherwise to assume reputable sellers will be at every street corner to shy them away. Knowledge is power in this case!

Worst marketing campaign I've ever heard of.

You went sub-quote crazy, there. Better check that user manual.

:baiting:

I have no idea what you're trying to defend, other than a customer should be educated when he walks in the door of a comic shop.

And I call bull.

Hey, all of you 45-55 year olds out there who collected oh so many years ago, making' good money in your later years, ... haven''t kept up, too busy to read all the nonsense on this board as well as any others, COME ON IN TO MY SHOP..... I"LL educate you, give you some great advice. A) a PREVIEWS is not a first appearance.

Soccer moms.... looking for something for your kids but you're afraid to walk into the comic shop.... COME ON IN TO MY SHOP.... I will treat you fairly and educate you on what is good or bad for your kid and what's appropriate based upon your personal standards.

Anybody interested in comics that doesn't want to go through the hassle of reading the nonsense on this board or any others, NO EDUCATION NECESSARY - COME ON IN TO MY SHOP!

See? That's how you try and grow a business.

Educate me sir. Do you have any data on the print runs or Diamond Previews? :baiting:

I have a small store in Indiana. I give out Previews (and Marvel Previews) for free to subscription customers - I order 50 a month. A friend of mine has a bigger shop in Missouri (but still nowhere near a large Diamond retailer) and he does the same, except he orders 200 a month.

There are 3000 Comic shops roughly...it wouldn't surprise me if it's print run is over 100,000.

That's in TODAY's market.

In the early Spawn days (1993) there were over 10,000 Diamond accounts...

I ask store owners up and down the east coast. Most stores order no more that 1 or 2 but that's just me asking and like your info is just a guess. I appreciate the info you have provided though. I would love to get accurate numbers on this.

So....how many panels is needed for it to go from "cameo" to "first appearance"? (shrug)

one

773c58eb2bcd9b1b54c74e4f265a701d.jpg

If we go with that as the rule for all books then DD #115 has a shot at first Wolverine for the one pic in the ad. lol

DD#115 was before IH#181, but not IH#180.

:)

-slym

The ad was also in a Thor book and Marvel Premiere19? Do you know if they came out after 180 as well?

Educate me sir. Do you have any data on the print runs or Diamond Previews? :baiting:

I have a small store in Indiana. I give out Previews (and Marvel Previews) for free to subscription customers - I order 50 a month. A friend of mine has a bigger shop in Missouri (but still nowhere near a large Diamond retailer) and he does the same, except he orders 200 a month.

There are 3000 Comic shops roughly...it wouldn't surprise me if it's print run is over 100,000.

That's in TODAY's market.

In the early Spawn days (1993) there were over 10,000 Diamond accounts...

I ask store owners up and down the east coast. Most stores order no more that 1 or 2 but that's just me asking and like your info is just a guess. I appreciate the info you have provided though. I would love to get accurate numbers on this.

anecdotally around me it is a chunk more than that, but i think shops in NYC rely very heavily on file customers to pay the rent. frankly, if you don't have a strong group of file customers you will not be able to pay the rent here. so the shops i frequent all have a big stack of previews sitting around and they are free for file customers.

A lot of strong sales on SIlver Surfer 44:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVER-SURFER-44-VF-NM-THANOS-1ST-INFINITY-GAUNTLET-STARLIN-MARVEL-COMICS-1990-/201279159541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edd2c3cf5

(many BINs in the $20s as well)

And a lot of $5-$8 type BIN activity on 45, 47, 48 and 49.

For some reason 46 isn't doing as well. I would have thought Warlock on the cover would have helped.

So it's not just "the most important Thanos books" of 34/35 anymore.

The Thanos issues in the mid 50s don't seem to be doing as well. I don't know if by the third Thanos/SS cycle those were ordered in vastly higher numbers than the books in the 30s and 40s.

Back on track . . .

Action 583 - Moore Supes

More importantly, I think we're seeing an overall increase in average price per book. :grin: The market is strong. :eek:

eh, $5-10.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=action+comics+583&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

But there is demand for a Superman book which is hard to come by for Copper or newer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILVER-SURFER-44-VF-NM-THANOS-1ST-INFINITY-GAUNTLET-STARLIN-MARVEL-COMICS-1990-/201279159541?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2edd2c3cf5

For some reason 46 isn't doing as well. I would have thought Warlock on the cover would have helped.

The Thanos issues in the mid 50s don't seem to be doing as well. I don't know if by the third Thanos/SS cycle those were ordered in vastly higher numbers than the books in the 30s and 40s.

I love the Starlin/Lim run on SS. I pick them up whenever I can find them for a buck or so, and never have trouble flipping them (if I don't need them for my run). Terrific run of books, glad that the Infinity Gauntlet/Thanos hype has pushed them back into the spotlight.

1st Infinity Gauntlet makes sense with the tie into the movies. Although I don't remember the Cosmic Cube getting a bump like this.

I think by the third run of Thanos arcs the value drops out a little, nothing in relation to print run. He is also more saturated around that time, also appearing in Warlock & the Infinity Watch.

Edited by ygogolak

Back on track . . .

Action 583 - Moore Supes

More importantly, I think we're seeing an overall increase in average price per book. :grin: The market is strong. :eek:

eh, $5-10.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=action+comics+583&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

But there is demand for a Superman book which is hard to come by for Copper or newer.

Can someone translate this post for me? :insane: