• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flippers- are they bad for the hobby?

146 posts in this topic

How do you agree to a price and then have the seller raise it 50%? I are confused. ???

I once had an artist triple prices on me after I agreed - no joke. I got some BS about how he got it wrong the first time and had to reevaluate given his standing in the artistic community, blah blah blah. Pisses me off to this day

That would seriously eat at me too.

What bothers me are people who give you the impression something is for sale but over inflate a price 2 to 3 times market value because they are really just showing off their collection under the guise of a store front and don't really want to sell

I've been guilty of this, however, it's not so much about showing off, as it is "If you want it badly enough..."

Well, I don't hate you for it, but if your in the business of selling you probably should be fair, or just post your collection as what it is, a collection with pieces you might be tempted to part with if the money is right

If a collector feels like I'm "teasing" them by doing this, they haven't been in this game long enough. The last thing I'm worried about is my reputation by doing that. lol... It's my art and I'll do whatever I want with it. Im not in the business of selling, I've been a collector in the hobby for 12 years, and when I wanna sell something I almost always price it at less than market value so it moves... And for what its worth, I have sold pieces with astronomical prices I otherwise wouldnt have sold... As I said, if you want it bad enough, dig into your pocket, others have. Heck I have. I knowingly well overpaid for my Dark Tower cover... If you can't afford it, move on, or wait until I have a sale and price it accordingly. But dont cry fowl cause you see something you can't afford. This is not a poor man's hobby.

Now the dealer who quoted you something then raised the price by 50%... Well, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sure who they were. Im almost positive I know because I know other collectors whom have been f___ked over by them in the same manner... Those are the types who SHOULD worry about their rep, but dont, and hey, it doesn't seem to affect their bottom line one bit. (Even though I refuse to do biz with them...) They've been in this game even longer than I and their biz practice hasn't changed in all that time. Sad but unfortunate reality of buying, selling and trading one of a kind items.

We had a little miscommunication. I went into more detail in later posts because of that. I have no problem with collectors or dealers pricing something absurdly. I do think if you do put a price on something you should follow through with the deal if it's met.

In any case, i retract my opinions about any of the situations I posted in this thread being bad for the hobby. It's not bad for the hobby. it's bad for the people who end up trying to deal with in the hobby. You've made some very good points, The bottom line is the bottom line. Reputation is meaningless unless it matters to you. You can be a jerk if you can back it up, like any area of life.

@ Garf: On this board, a member was selling complete color guides. His inventory had been picked-over and what was left was selling for less than $100 per guide. The price per page was a little less than $4. I had bought several and had my eye on one more. As I was looking on eBay a few days ago, I saw that the guide I was thinking about buying was for sale by an eBay dealer that I am pretty sure is the biggest seller of color guides. I can't say for sure, but I can't imagine that this dealer paid MORE than the seller's asking price of less than $4 per page. Each page being offered on eBay was no less than $30. If that dealer is getting those prices, I'd say great, but their inventory sits and sits and sits.

Hey Cbone, I noticed this sale and thought of you.

The seller you referenced just got more from a single page from one of the Cap guides he bought from me than he paid for the entire 22 pages.

If you're patient and willing to put the effort in then more power to ya when you make a nice profit !

In any case, i retract my opinions about any of the situations I posted in this thread being bad for the hobby. It's not bad for the hobby. it's bad for the people who end up trying to deal with in the hobby. You've made some very good points, The bottom line is the bottom line. Reputation is meaningless unless it matters to you. You can be a jerk if you can back it up, like any area of life.

It sadly is a cynical aspect of the hobby. BUT - For all the greedy bad fish you'll encounter, and yeah, there are a few, the good collectors and dealers far outweigh the bad. Ive met some GREAT people in this hobby, both collector and dealer a like. Some of which Ive never met face to face, but after all these years I call friends. Those friends have done me many solids and favours that I'd be hard pressed to find a handful of people in my regular life that would do the same if given the opportunity... So "like any area of life" there's also good that comes with the bad. And thankfully in our little community, as noted, the good outweighs the bad tenfold. (IMO)

As others have recapped, much like The Definition of Rich is... anyone who has more than I do...

...the definition of a retail published art Flipper is... anyone who got the the artwork before I did, and is now trying to sell it to me for more than what I could have gotten it for

:)

I think this is why, with one of a kind items like OA, you almost need not to think about it, and just act... buy or decline, but both without regret nor 20/20 hindsight.

It sadly is a cynical aspect of the hobby. BUT - For all the greedy bad fish you'll encounter, and yeah, there are a few, the good collectors and dealers far outweigh the bad. Ive met some GREAT people in this hobby, both collector and dealer a like. Some of which Ive never met face to face, but after all these years I call friends. Those friends have done me many solids and favours that I'd be hard pressed to find a handful of people in my regular life that would do the same if given the opportunity... So "like any area of life" there's also good that comes with the bad. And thankfully in our little community, as noted, the good outweighs the bad tenfold. (IMO)

Agreed.