• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Herbe Trimpe, Russ Heath and Richard Rae . . .

18 posts in this topic

Hi

I have it on good account that our old friend Richard Rae has recently acquired contact information for Herbe and Russ.

Anyone here on good terms/in contact with either artist?

If so, I think they ought to be advised that Rae's bad news and should be avoided.

If anyone can help out, I'd appreciate it.

Rae's still trying to shift his dodgy lighbox artworks on FB groups . . . :facepalm:

I've sent this to Steve Wyatt, Russ' friend and sometime agent, (e-mail and FB message) and to Herb (e-mail).

Maybe it will help.

For what it is worth, both men still have it.

Russ Heath - Sea Devils #6 recreation

Herb Trimpe - Incredible Hulk commission

Thanks for that, Alex.

You may recall from the Richard Rae lightbox thread that Rich Buckler got burned by Rae.

At the end of the day, it's entirely both artists' business who they want to deal with - but in this case, I do think a word of cautionary advice needs to be said.

I'll try to dig out extracts from Rich Buckler's e-mail to me . . .

I've sent this to Steve Wyatt, Russ' friend and sometime agent, (e-mail and FB message) and to Herb (e-mail).

Maybe it will help.

Thanks for that, Alex.

You may recall from the Richard Rae lightbox thread that Rich Buckler got burned by Rae.

At the end of the day, it's entirely both artists' business who they want to deal with - but in this case, I do think a word of cautionary advice needs to be said.

First extract . . .

“Hi, Terry

I don't know if this helps, but yes, I have had dealings with Richard Rae that were not exactly on the up and up.

My experience with him is that he is a good talker, promises a lot, and does not keep his word. Lies and b*u*l*l*s*h*i*t--that's how I see it. That kind of nonsense always results in whoever deals with him getting less money or value than promised.

He comes off as likable, sincere and honest in his communications, but the result is always something that involves changing the deal with lots of back peddling and excuses. Maybe he means well, maybe he is actually a hopeless bungler, or possibly a deliberate and conniving swindler--I'm not sure. But my advice is don't do business with him.

I know he deals in comic art originals and that he is actively seeking to raise money for publishing. Collectors should beware. I am sorry that I actually did get duped into contributing to one of his publishing ventures. If he is actually not at fault in my dealings with him that went south--well, how come it has been over a year now and he still hasn't straightened anything out yet?

Do me a favor, please. Fill me in on more details about the trouble he is presently causing. And before you quote me on any of this, ask me first. I am still feeling sour over my past dealings with him. God knows what damage he is doing now. A shame, since he is a very talented artist and very creative. Such a waste.

Anyhow, that's my take on things. Helpful?

Take care—RICH”

Maybe it will help.

Thanks for that, Alex.

First extract . . .

“Hi, Terry

I don't know if this helps, but yes, I have had dealings with Richard Rae that were not exactly on the up and up.

My experience with him is that he is a good talker, promises a lot, and does not keep his word. Lies and b*u*l*l*s*h*i*t--that's how I see it. That kind of nonsense always results in whoever deals with him getting less money or value than promised.

He comes off as likable, sincere and honest in his communications, but the result is always something that involves changing the deal with lots of back peddling and excuses. Maybe he means well, maybe he is actually a hopeless bungler, or possibly a deliberate and conniving swindler--I'm not sure. But my advice is don't do business with him.

I know he deals in comic art originals and that he is actively seeking to raise money for publishing. Collectors should beware. I am sorry that I actually did get duped into contributing to one of his publishing ventures. If he is actually not at fault in my dealings with him that went south--well, how come it has been over a year now and he still hasn't straightened anything out yet?

Do me a favor, please. Fill me in on more details about the trouble he is presently causing. And before you quote me on any of this, ask me first. I am still feeling sour over my past dealings with him. God knows what damage he is doing now. A shame, since he is a very talented artist and very creative. Such a waste.

Anyhow, that's my take on things. Helpful?

Take care—RICH”

Extract from a follow-up e-mail I received from Rich Buckler:

“Hi, Terry

I checked out that link you gave me. Please be advised that the Steranko/Buckler drawing of Captain America was light boxed by me (from a photstat) and then inked. It is not a Steranko original. It was fun to do, and I am a big Steranko fan--but I never once in my career ever inked a Steranko original, and this was the next closest thing.

This was one of the first pieces I did for Richard Rae. It was supposed to be for his private collection and then later used for promotion and to get some attention for his new publishing efforts (which I was helping with in the capacity of inker). If it is ever offered for sale or trade, of course this should all be mentioned.

Anyhow, it's not a Steranko original--it's a Rich Buckler re-creation of an unpublished Steranko drawing. Please pass that info on to collectors you know.

Feel free, by the way, to bother me if any authentication is needed on other pieces where I might be helpful. To misrepresent art for sale and cheat collectors and fans is pretty "low-life" stuff. And buying and selling stolen goods is downright evil.

I have to wonder, though, how and why Mike Royer did those light box "originals." I don't know Mike personally, but I don't think he was deliberately creating forgeries. Maybe he fell for the same pitch I did--that Rae was a big fan and wanted the commission for his own personal collection. This guy Rae is a good talker and can be very convincing. That's how he gets over on people.

Hope I have helped out a bit.

Take care—RICH”

"I never once in my career ever inked a Steranko original, and this was the next closest thing."

"I have to wonder, though, how and why Mike Royer did those light box "originals.""

Umm...Rich.. I have to wonder why you inked a Steranko, having never been connected to the artist ever in your career.

Mike Royer was Kirby's employee for many many years. Having Mike ink Kirby sketches is not a hard to grasp concept... so there is an easy "why".

As to 'How"Mike did them...well...he has a pencil, and a lightbox, and some pens...

Sorry, but I just found this too funny to not comment.

Anyway, I've gotten to know Russ a bit. I have to say that as long as Rae gives Russ money for the work Russ does... then let him buy the art from Russ! Russ needs the money. As for Herb, I've met him many times, and he's a pretty smart, cool guy. I'd like to think Herb could smell a rat, but it's nice to give him a heads up. Either way, if Rae's money is good- why shouldn't they sell him art? If Rae doesn't pay what he promises- Well, I'm not used to Russ or Herb doing work without getting paid first...

The problem that Mike ran into was not labeling his recreations correctly (which he has since fixed). The problem Rich ran into was recreating another artist's drawing (and I'm not up to speed on this one- did Rich not label it correctly as well?).

If Russ and Herb sell art done by themselves, what would you think Rae would do with it to cause confusion? It's not like Russ and Herb do recreations or inks of other artist's work. Or are you more concerned that they wouldn't get paid?

Umm...Rich.. I have to wonder why you inked a Steranko, having never been connected to the artist ever in your career.

Ummm . . . because Rae asked him to, perhaps?

"Please be advised that the Steranko/Buckler drawing of Captain America was light boxed by me (from a photstat) and then inked. It is not a Steranko original. . . . This was one of the first pieces I did for Richard Rae. It was supposed to be for his private collection and then later used for promotion and to get some attention for his new publishing efforts (which I was helping with in the capacity of inker). If it is ever offered for sale or trade, of course this should all be mentioned."

Anyway, I've gotten to know Russ a bit. I have to say that as long as Rae gives Russ money for the work Russ does... then let him buy the art from Russ! Russ needs the money. As for Herb, I've met him many times, and he's a pretty smart, cool guy. I'd like to think Herb could smell a rat, but it's nice to give him a heads up. Either way, if Rae's money is good- why shouldn't they sell him art? If Rae doesn't pay what he promises- Well, I'm not used to Russ or Herb doing work without getting paid first...

. . . Or are you more concerned that they wouldn't get paid?

Yep.

If Rae tries to enlist Russ or Herb to come on board his publishing venture, they need to ensure they get paid up-front first.

As Rich Buckler said:

My experience with him is that he is a good talker, promises a lot, and does not keep his word. Lies and b*u*l*l*s*h*i*t--that's how I see it. That kind of nonsense always results in whoever deals with him getting less money or value than promised. . . . my advice is don't do business with him.

I am sorry that I actually did get duped into contributing to one of his publishing ventures. If he is actually not at fault in my dealings with him that went south--well, how come it has been over a year now and he still hasn't straightened anything out yet?"

'Ummm . . . because Rae asked him to, perhaps?"

Well, that's the easiest answer to why anyone does a commission!

I'd imagine that Rich is really just wondering if Mike got paid or not. Knowing Mike, he got paid. I'll have to ask him.

Really, the Buckler/Steranko thing is more of a personal taste issue for me. I'm not big on commissioning artists to recreate work they had nothing to do with at all. Especially when they aren't primarily known as inkers. Seems really weird to me, unless the artist doing the recreation brings something unique to the table...but then it's not so much a recreation...

So, I'm assuming Rae tried to pass it off as an original Steranko, right? Did Rich not sign it correctly?

'Ummm . . . because Rae asked him to, perhaps?"

Well, that's the easiest answer to why anyone does a commission!

I'd imagine that Rich is really just wondering if Mike got paid or not. Knowing Mike, he got paid. I'll have to ask him.

Really, the Buckler/Steranko thing is more of a personal taste issue for me. I'm not big on commissioning artists to recreate work they had nothing to do with at all. Especially when they aren't primarily known as inkers. Seems really weird to me, unless the artist doing the recreation brings something unique to the table...but then it's not so much a recreation...

So, I'm assuming Rae tried to pass it off as an original Steranko, right? Did Rich not sign it correctly?

I'd suggest you re-read some of the old Richard Rae threads, Dave.

At one point Rae faked his own death, re-inventing himself as 'Vince Greck', and then tried to sell the 'Steranko/Buckler' Captain America illustration (lightboxed by Rich) for something like $14,000, I think it was?

The artwork sported a joint 'Steranko/Buckler' signature which, I assume, was requested by Rae. At the time, Rich thought the illo was intended for Rae's personal collection . . .

. . . oh, and at one point Rae (in his 'Vince Greck' identity) lifted an image out of my own CAF Gallery (Tales to Astonish # 98 cover), which he then offered up for sale.

He also revisted these boards under the name 'Captain Australia' (see 'The Truth about CAF' thread).

It's with all this kind of c*r*a*p in mind that I think it's advisible that Russ Heath and Herb Trimpe are given the heads-up about this character.

Yes, I'm sure they're very careful in their business approach but, as Rich Buckler says, "Rae's a good talker and can be very convincing . . "

As someone who has personally spoken with Richard Rae (aka Vince Greck) some years back, I can vouch for Rich Buckler's comments that, for those who have no experience with him, Rae comes across as someone who is credible, knowledgeable and appears trustworthy at_first_contact.

It is not until later that you start wondering and perhaps are warned by someone like Terry of Rae's attempts to sell artwork which is not genuine.

I initially contacted Rae some years back as I'd heard he had some Stanley Pitt artwork available but his prices were waaay beyond my means so he then tried to suggest some bizarre trades (heavily weighted in one direction) which I politely declined.

Rae then asked whether I would be willing to persuade some of my artist clients/friends whose original artwork I sell (eg. Colin Wilson, Nicola Scott) to do some work for him gratis. I said that their work schedules working for Dark Horse, Dargaud, Delcourt, DC wouldn't allow them time to work on anything else so I declined on their behalf.

Since that initial contact and the subsequent threads dealing with the lightboxed artwork, I have spoken to a number of people in the Aussie comics community who have been active in the community since the 1970s and they all say "stay away from Richard Rae".

Both Herb and Steve responded to my e-mails today. At least they are aware.

Thanks again, Alex.

At the end of the day it's entirely their business who they choose to produce work for but, given Rae's track-record, I do think it's advisable that they're made aware of the kind of stunts he's capable of performing - if he does comes knocking on their respective doors.